What's new

New Old Straight Shaver

I'm not new, but I'm not exactly old at straight razor shaving. Back in 2013, I bought my first straight sight unseen from Whipped Dog. It turned out to be a late 1890's Wade and Butcher Extra Hollow 5/8" razor. After a few times of practice, that razor gave me the best shaves of my life. I liked it so much that I bought another sight unseen straight from Whipped Dog. It turned out to be a 1910's-'20's German Blue Steel 5/8" razor. That one also shaved magnificently. After they got worn down, I put them away and recently bought a cheap barber hone from Whipped Dog to try my hand at honing. I watched a Lynn Abrams video and followed the instructions that came with the stone. I think I did pretty well because I was able to shave off some hair on my arm after honing and stropping the razor as directed. Looks like I'm back into straight razors. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Now the question is "will your newly self-honed razors manage to shave more than arms hair?"
Indeed. That's how you test a pocketknife. A better test is does it treetop arm hair when the razor is swept over the forearm 1/4" ABOVE the skin. Then, it should shave the face, efficiently and comfortably.

Top Bottom