What's new

New (old) adjustable black beauty not adjusting? Easy fix?

The mechanism may be gummed up. That is USUALLY the problem with the old adjustables. The fact that it spins and clicks is promising. I would try soaking it several times over the next week using hot water and Dawn dish detergent letting it sit for several hours at a time.

There are a few threads on this - soaks in dishwashing soap and hot water, and maybe a bit of oil inside the mechanisms may help.

I would try soaking it several times over the next week using hot water and Dawn dish detergent letting it sit for several hours at a time.

+1

For something more definitive, Alex may have a guide somewhere.

I tried soaking for 3 days in hot tap water (ie warm water) with dish soap, changed daily, and twisting the dial for 1-2 minutes each time with no results. Then I tried hot soapy water in a ceramic mug until it was only warm (about 30 minutes). 3 soaks fixed it completely - with no twisting the dial for minutes on end :)
I'm not sure how hot the water was. It was hotter than tap water, and uncomfortable to dip a finger in- but not scalding. It was the temperature that comes out of the kurig instant (1-cup) coffee maker.

I tried soaking for 3 days in hot tap water (ie warm water) with dish soap, changed daily, and twisting the dial for 1-2 minutes each time with no results. Then I tried hot soapy water in a ceramic mug until it was only warm (about 30 minutes). 3 soaks fixed it completely - with no twisting the dial for minutes on end :)
I'm not sure how hot the water was. It was hotter than tap water, and uncomfortable to dip a finger in- but not scalding. It was the temperature that comes out of the kurig instant (1-cup) coffee maker.

+1 The thermal cycle along with the soapy water I personally believe is beneficial. Congrats and thanks for posting your success.!

Scored a 1973 year black beauty i was going to make my new travel razor but the adjust spins and also clicks with almost little resistance and the bars dont move. Any easy fix for that or should I just return it?
Replying to an old post, but anyone with this issue could try: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410481-Slim-repair-help-needed?highlight=slim

Be sure to scroll down. Lots of good info. :001_smile

Edit. Man did I goof this up. The old post had me going all wackbards. *chuckle* sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom