What's new

New offering from Bic

I just did not see how using this product would make you less masculine because either a man or a woman could use it. You, yourself don't become androgynous. The razor is just a tool.
I have nothing against men using feminine products whether perfume or beauty products. I have nothing against women using mens products. I am against advertisers using androgyny, if you look at certain women's clothing websites they no longer use attractive models but A sexual models that you can't confirm whether they are male or female.

I just received my new Bic yesterday. The cardboard packaging was nice but a little excessive (very little plastic though, so bonus points there). Once my current cartridge is done, I'll switch over and give it a try. I didn't see anything listed for ordering cartridges separately, though, anybody know where to get them?

I just received my new Bic yesterday. The cardboard packaging was nice but a little excessive (very little plastic though, so bonus points there). Once my current cartridge is done, I'll switch over and give it a try. I didn't see anything listed for ordering cartridges separately, though, anybody know where to get them?
On the Amazon web page, there are several offerings. You can select one of the boxes that is for refills only. Then select 4, 8 or 12 carts.

I have a bic hybrid 5. A fantastic shaver at a fraction of the cost.
IMG_20200413_104521.jpg

On the Amazon web page, there are several offerings. You can select one of the boxes that is for refills only. Then select 4, 8 or 12 carts.
Thanks, I didn't see that for the "Made for You" razor. I'll take another look and blame my glasses.
EDIT: Ah, I see what happened. The "buy from Amazon" link took me to the handle starter set. A little poking around and I found the cartridge listings. The cost a little more than the Flex5, I'll see if they're worth the price shortly.

Last edited:
I had my first shave with the Bic "Made for You" razor this morning with some Gillette Pure cream and my initial impression is that it's not bad at all. The handle has a satisfying weight and it's suitable grippy to touch, so from that aspect it's excellent, quite comfortable in the hand and easy to maneuver; you never feel like it's going to get away from you. It took me a little bit to get used to the more Mach 3-like angle and pivoting action, but if you've used a recent vintage Gillette razor you'll be fine. I don't think it shaved as closely as the Flex5 but it delivered a comfortable. smooth shave nonetheless. Retaining the trimmer blade for tight spots was an excellent choice and even the lube strips aren't as annoying as they are in many other razors; in fact, they actually seem to do the job they're intended to do without leaving a slime trail.

I want to work through both cartridges that came with the handle before I render a final opinion, but so far I think it's a good razor, one that's better than most cartridge razors I've used. I don't know yet if it's worth the extra cost over the Flex5 or, if in the quest to make a razor that can suit everyone, they will wind up pleasing no one fully.

Third shave with the Made for You (henceforth MfY because I hate typing the full name) this morning and I still think it's a pretty decent razor. I've had three close, comfortable shaves with it and no complaints other than I wish it would cut a little more closely, which may be a design tradeoff made to suit the razor to a wider audience. It handles like a more comfortable Mach 3, and that's not a bad thing at all. At this point I still prefer the Flex5, but if supplies of those carts dry up and I am left with the MfY, I think I'll bear the situation with good grace.

I wonder how it compares with a Trak II? That's the closest thing out there to a commodity cartridge razor.
I like it better than the Trac II, but that's mostly because I prefer the pivoting head and the heavier handle. You can get a shave of equal quality with both razors.

Surprises me a lot that it's not almost identical.
Me too, I was expecting the exact same cartridge. The lube strip is definitely different and the blades have a gentler feel. The razor glides slightly better than the Flex5 but I don't feel like it cuts as well. Maybe that's the difference between the pivoting head styles. I always want to pull the handle farther away from my face; with this style head you need to keep everything flatter and more inline (if you see what I mean) to get the most out of the pivot. I've only had four shaves, so I'm sure I haven't completely gotten used to the razor yet.

I've got about ten shaves under my belt with the Made for You (MfY) razor now and my opinion is... it's pretty good, comfortable and competent. I haven't nicked myself with it or ever felt any burning, pulling, tugging, etc. I have no doubt that I prefer it to any of the current Gillette offerings, but I still don't think it's the equal of the Flex5 as far as closeness and efficiency go (I love the feel of the handle thought; it's just the right weight and grittiness). I won't be in a hurry to replace my Flex5 with the MfY, but as I said in a previous post, if it comes down to replacement carts I can get locally (I confirmed that my local grocery carries the replacements for the MfY) versus having to rely on Amazon, I'd be fine with shaving with it on a daily basis. If you like the Mach 3, this razor should be a no-brainer to try: similar head geometry and characteristics with greater comfort and the added bonus of a trimmer blade. Even though it costs a little more than the Flex5, you're still well under the cost of Mach 3 carts for a better razor, which is definitely a win.

Wow, I see autocorrect did a number on my original post. I meant to say the handle has just the right weight and grippiness. I think you all knew what I meant, though :)

There are several good cartridge razors on the market - to my mind the handle is just as important as the blades.

The BIC "Classic" handle as supplied as the original Shave Club model has (in my opinion) the right weight and is the most comfortable I have found. The second version with MACH 3 connector from the Shave Club did not attract me due to its incompatability with the regular BIC cartridge connection as found on the Flex 3, 4 and 5.

Fortunately the handle on the Flex 5 hybrid is essentially the same (minor cosmetic differences) as the Shave Club original - as seen in images below.

This means it fits ANY of the Flex range cartridges, including those in the disposable packs - and these can be simply snipped off the disposabe handles for attachment to the "Classic" thereby saving a significant amount of money compared to the official BIC refill packs,(generally not sold in the UK) or the grossly overpriced cartridges from the Shave Club.

The Flex 5 hybrid is only available here in the UK from Amazon and some Ebay sellers, however it is an alternative source of the "Classic" handle if you want to avoid the Shave Club offer.

Flex 5 cartridges are available in the Flex 5 disposable packs - and a well know chain of British High Street pharmacy stores has these on half price offer on a relatively regular basis - otherwise I'm more that happy with the Flex 4 disposables which are widely available in local discount chains at sensible prices - the Flex 3 is an acceptable alternative.

To illustrate the overpricing of the Shave Club (UK) - I can source 8 x Flex 3 cartridges from disposable packs locally for £4.00, the SC want £14.99 !!!

Attachments

• BIC shave club original handle.jpg
    BIC shave club original handle.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 9
  • BIC Flex 5 hybrid.jpg
    BIC Flex 5 hybrid.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There are several good cartridge razors on the market - to my mind the handle is just as important as the blades.

The BIC "Classic" handle as supplied as the original Shave Club model has (in my opinion) the right weight and is the most comfortable I have found. The second version with MACH 3 connector from the Shave Club did not attract me due to its incompatability with the regular BIC cartridge connection as found on the Flex 3, 4 and 5.

Fortunately the handle on the Flex 5 hybrid is essentially the same (minor cosmetic differences) as the Shave Club original - as seen in images below.

This means it fits ANY of the Flex range cartridges, including those in the disposable packs - and these can be simply snipped off the disposabe handles for attachment to the "Classic" thereby saving a significant amount of money compared to the official BIC refill packs,(generally not sold in the UK) or the grossly overpriced cartridges from the Shave Club.

The Flex 5 hybrid is only available here in the UK from Amazon and some Ebay sellers, however it is an alternative source of the "Classic" handle if you want to avoid the Shave Club offer.

Flex 5 cartridges are available in the Flex 5 disposable packs - and a well know chain of British High Street pharmacy stores has these on half price offer on a relatively regular basis - otherwise I'm more that happy with the Flex 4 disposables which are widely available in local discount chains at sensible prices - the Flex 3 is an acceptable alternative.

To illustrate the overpricing of the Shave Club (UK) - I can source 8 x Flex 3 cartridges from disposable packs locally for £4.00, the SC want £14.99 !!!
Haptics are important to me!

Top Bottom