What's new

New NOS strop

Should I use it or keep it NOS

• Use it

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Keep it NOS

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I do not agree with the statement that it is exactly like the kanayama strops. First off the leather is thicker and just feels better. It doesn't have a rubberish feel to it like my Kanayama 70000 had. It also has a little tiny bit of texture to the leather that the Kanayama doesn't have. All in all the Fine Stars strop feels better. The linen strop is completely different than the Kanayama linen. The Kanayama linen is really tough there is a list of things you are supposed to do before you use the linen on the Kanayama. The linen on the Fine Star is softer and doesn't say you have to do a whole list of things before you can use it.

I didn't say it was exactly like it, but I stand by my statement that it is the same quality. Having felt 2 of these Fine Stars exactly like yours, and 4 new production Kanoyama, I am quite comfortable making that statement - especially having shaved off of all of them, which to me is all that matters. The problem with both statements is that you and I are trying to judge half a century worth of history of a strop maker, based on a limited number of specimens, which on top of everything, are natural materials. Probably just my luck of the draw.... Sorry your 70K isn't on par!

I didn't say it was exactly like it, but I stand by my statement that it is the same quality. Having felt 2 of these Fine Stars exactly like yours, and 4 new production Kanoyama, I am quite comfortable making that statement - especially having shaved off of all of them, which to me is all that matters. The problem with both statements is that you and I are trying to judge half a century worth of history of a strop maker, based on a limited number of specimens, which on top of everything, are natural materials. Probably just my luck of the draw.... Sorry your 70K isn't on par!

You know that is true. We are judging a natural material based on a limited test pond so to speak. But when it comes to the linen I definitely stand by my observation between the two.

As stated use the strop, I to at one time had several on a closet shelf unused but then decided to use them all and sell off what I did not like

Top Bottom