What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

I wonder if the new non-tallow version requires blooming. I know the tallow version doesn't require much (if any) blooming. Maybe the non-tallow version is thirstier and needs the additional water to help load a brush? I know some of my triple milled soaps (e.g., TOBS) need to be bloomed before loading.
Interesting. I found the new Haslinger to be 'thirstier' than the original tallow formula, but similar otherwise. Y'all have inspired me to order a puck of Tabac that will arrive in a couple of days. If it is the new formula, I'll try it and review it here. If it isn't, carry on without me.

Good news for Tabac stick lovers...
I found the reformulated vegan refill version in a local store (Germany) earlier today. So it appears the stick will survive the change...
20211014_171540.jpg

Last edited:
A big fan of Tabac and have been shaving almost exclusively with it for 10+ years. I didn't even know there had been a reformulation since I buy a few pucks / shave stick refills at a time and raise my head up only as I begin running out

I went online and acquired a new puck just to determine if I should hoard any of the remaining tallow stock :)

My quick review -
Scent - The new scent emphasizes the bergamot/citrus side of things, but is reminiscent of the old one. I prefer the old tallow scent
Lather - It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it in a few tries, it produces almost as dense and creamy a lather as the tallow version. I prefer the tallow lather
Shave - Almost just as good a shave as the tallow version, I didn't find anything particularly objectionable about the lather and its durability. I prefer the shave from the tallow version

Anyone notice a trend here?

Summary - If I hadn't used the tallow before and had discovered Tabac through the vegan version, I'm sure I'd have taken to it with just as much enthusiasm.
All said and done, I'll try and acquire a few of the tallow sticks/pucks, just out of nostalgia, but the new version is just as satisfactory. Once I run out of my tallow stock, I'll keep buying and using the vegan version with a tad less enthusiasm, but the difference isn't at all significant and won't make me look for a new "grail" soap

I went online and acquired a new puck just to determine if I should hoard any of the remaining tallow stock :)
Yeah, I went online and cleaned out a few Amazon sellers of their stock of the tallow version (and they had it on heavy discount, so it's not like there was a clamor for it). Decided that I minded the difference enough that pushing out the inevitable by a few years was worth it to me.

Yeah, I went online and cleaned out a few Amazon sellers of their stock of the tallow version (and they had it on heavy discount, so it's not like there was a clamor for it). Decided that I minded the difference enough that pushing out the inevitable by a few years was worth it to me.
How did you tell which ones had tallow? I *just* got my first bowl of Tabac last week, and it was the tallowate kind. I had no idea there was a change until today, but I might buy myself a couple extra refills now.

Got a tallow just before the change it’s not bad stuff …I’m not going to say it’s the best because it’s really not but it’s not bad especially for a mass produced soap …I wouldn’t imagine the veggie would be to horrible or to much different tbh if people know what they are doing they can make amazing veg soaps

How did you tell which ones had tallow? I *just* got my first bowl of Tabac last week, and it was the tallowate kind. I had no idea there was a change until today, but I might buy myself a couple extra refills now.
The sellers list their ingredients and they called out the two tallowates on that list. The photos they included (when they did) also had tallowate on there. I bought on trust expecting to be able to return the soaps if they'd made a mistake, but they hadn't

Last edited:
Okay, I found a clear point of difference between the two where the vegan version is weaker than the tallow - the Marco Method of making lather.

I tried a variety of boar brushes on both soaps (Omega 10051, Mighty Midget, Omega Jade premium brush)
The tallow version just keeps going picking up more and more soap off the puck and eventually produces a nice thick sludge of a lather - a heavy sopping with water concoction that's just satisfying

The vegan version produces a decent Marco lather, but it doesn't allow as much soap to be picked up. Also, the lather produced is more powdery or airy and isn't as heavy as I like it. Still a good lather, I suppose, but this difference is what will make me most nostalgic about the tallow Tabac when I eventually run out in a couple of years or more.

There's some chance more effort will help me dial my process/method in, but l don't expect much of an improvement (unless I acquire another vegan puck from another production batch to eliminate that variable)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hello!
Do you think that 2 cans of Proraso (150 + 150ml) or 1 soap Tabac (125g) will run out faster? 🙂
The previous (Tallow) Tabac formulation would outlast 2x Proraso IMO but not by much. The current formulation of Tabac would probably melt around the same rate as a single tub of Proraso (if you mean Proraso foam in a can, I can't say as I did not use that one).

The previous (Tallow) Tabac formulation would outlast 2x Proraso IMO but not by much. The current formulation of Tabac would probably melt around the same rate as a single tub of Proraso (if you mean Proraso foam in a can, I can't say as I did not use that one).
No foam. Soap Proraso (150+150ml) vs Tabaco soap (new formula) (125g) will run out faster??? :cowboy:

I can only comment on Tabac-t as well but my tabac lasted laughably long. Back then I was tracking usage rates and tabac lasted about four times as long as most artisan soaps and almost twice as long as most milled soaps. There are exceptions but Tabac was excetionally low per shave usage and I wasn't being conservative in my usage.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Okay, I found a clear point of difference between the two where the vegan version is weaker than the tallow - the Marco Method of making lather.

I tried a variety of boar brushes on both soaps (Omega 10051, Mighty Midget, Omega Jade premium brush)
The tallow version just keeps going picking up more and more soap off the puck and eventually produces a nice thick sludge of a lather - a heavy sopping with water concoction that's just satisfying

The vegan version produces a decent Marco lather, but it doesn't allow as much soap to be picked up. Also, the lather produced is more powdery or airy and isn't as heavy as I like it. Still a good lather, I suppose, but this difference is what will make me most nostalgic about the tallow Tabac when I eventually run out in a couple of years or more.

There's some chance more effort will help me dial my process/method in, but l don't expect much of an improvement (unless I acquire another vegan puck from another production batch to eliminate that variable)
Good job on the review!

I can only comment on Tabac-t as well but my tabac lasted laughably long. Back then I was tracking usage rates and tabac lasted about four times as long as most artisan soaps and almost twice as long as most milled soaps. There are exceptions but Tabac was excetionally low per shave usage and I wasn't being conservative in my usage.
Tabac-T lasts laughably long, but my subjective speculation is that the Tabac-V won't last as long.
It's just a little bit worse than Tabac-T on almost all metrics, sadly

Having used the new vegan formulation of Tabac for several shaves, I’d like to add my observations.

The new formula:

1. Requires minor lathering adjustments compared to the old. Need to load a little longer and harder than the old. Floating a few drops of water on the puck works wonders (I am not normally a bloomer but do it when it helps). Since the new formula feels cleaner overall, I’ll pay this small price and not complain about it.

2. Smells fresher, cleaner, while still smelling like Tabac. Lots of orange peel, neroli, and talc right up front, very bright, not musty at all. The stick and puck now smell identical also, unlike the prior tallow set. I prefer the new scent, it’s lovely.

3. Has nicer lather. Blasphemy, I know. It’s missing tallow, surely it must suck. Nope. The tallow Tabac was always “sticky” to me. The vegan Tabac is not sticky it all. The razor glides easier and cuts closer. It rinses off easier with a far less drying post-shave too.

Tabac has not gotten been reformulated for the worst, not for me anyway, it’s gotten better overall. I still love Tabac!

FarmerTan

Having used the new vegan formulation of Tabac for several shaves, I’d like to add my observations.

The new formula:

1. Requires minor lathering adjustments compared to the old. Need to load a little longer and harder than the old. Floating a few drops of water on the puck works wonders (I am not normally a bloomer but do it when it helps). Since the new formula feels cleaner overall, I’ll pay this small price and not complain about it.

2. Smells fresher, cleaner, while still smelling like Tabac. Lots of orange peel, neroli, and talc right up front, very bright, not musty at all. The stick and puck now smell identical also, unlike the prior tallow set. I prefer the new scent, it’s lovely.

3. Has nicer lather. Blasphemy, I know. It’s missing tallow, surely it must suck. Nope. The tallow Tabac was always “sticky” to me. The vegan Tabac is not sticky it all. The razor glides easier and cuts closer. It rinses off easier with a far less drying post-shave too.

Tabac has not gotten been reformulated for the worst, not for me anyway, it’s gotten better overall. I still love Tabac!
This is actually just what I wanted to hear. I'm in a love/hate relationship with Tabac. Love the performance (I am cheap, so I rub the puck on my face like a stick). The smell is IDENTICAL to the tissues that my lovely mother would dig from the bottom of her purse and use to wash my face with her spit. So I love the smell when I think of her "grooming" me, but hated the method at the time....

I REALLY want to know what that aftershave smells like, and if it dissipates after a bit of time. And has THAT formula has been redone?

Sorry for the 20 questions my friend @BudgetShaverGuy !

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I REALLY want to know what that aftershave smells like
For me the AS smells very similar to the tallow shave soap - I have not tried the non tallow soap. The AS scent is quite strong and long lasting compared to most aftershaves. To me the Cologne is exactly the same scent as the AS but is even stronger and longer lasting. Both the AS and Cologne are excellent in my opinion. By contrast the EDT has a totally different scent and is quite unpleasant, I dislike it very much.

This is actually just what I wanted to hear. I'm in a love/hate relationship with Tabac. Love the performance (I am cheap, so I rub the puck on my face like a stick). The smell is IDENTICAL to the tissues that my lovely mother would dig from the bottom of her purse and use to wash my face with her spit. So I love the smell when I think of her "grooming" me, but hated the method at the time....

I REALLY want to know what that aftershave smells like, and if it dissipates after a bit of time. And has THAT formula has been redone?

Sorry for the 20 questions my friend @BudgetShaverGuy !

I don’t mean to go against @EclipseRedRing, but I find the tallow Tabac puck to not smell similar to the AS splash. My observation is that the new vegan puck and stick both smell the same and are very much like the AS splashes I own, which are in spray and drip bottles.

If you like the smell of the tallow puck, I’m sure you’ll like the AS splash. To my nose everything Tabac smells unmistakably Tabac, all with a little more or less of the same ingredients!

FarmerTan

For me the AS smells very similar to the tallow shave soap - I have not tried the non tallow soap. The AS scent is quite strong and long lasting compared to most aftershaves. To me the Cologne is exactly the same scent as the AS but is even stronger and longer lasting. Both the AS and Cologne are excellent in my opinion. By contrast the EDT has a totally different scent and is quite unpleasant, I dislike it very much.
THANK you. This is good to know my friend!

Top Bottom