What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Please. New stuff reviews only, not a million posts about how great the old stuff was. The "Where's the Tallow" thread has gone to 26 pages, so nobody will cruise through that looking for reviews. The one I did spot was not complimentary, but hey, it could be wonderful stuff.

So-- If you have the New Formula Tabac, write it up here, please. If you don't know what I mean, please see this thread.

Thank you!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1628021810830.gif

After the WCS debacle earlier today, where they put the Tabac bowl with labels of tallow ingredients on sale, and subsequent clarification from their staff on email (and website cleanup) that it's been a year since M&W has rolled out the new vegan formula, it is very likely that over the past few months we may have already heard reviews and praises here at B&B from unsuspecting gents who were shipped the vegan version and not the tallow version.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Listen, I love you guys, I really do. But the purpose of this thread was to hear from people who used the new soap AND NOT MAKE US GO THROUGH 26 PAGES TO FIND THEM. that’s the other thread. Please. Be quiet. So we can hear from the users who have tried the new stuff. Shhhhhhhh. 😉

Last edited:
Received my two orders today. The Amazon puck is the new formulation, and the half price bowl from West Coast Shaving is the original formula.
IMG_20210804_211156001.jpg

You will see right away the new formula is much lighter than the original. Scent strength right off the puck is stronger on the new, but it lacks the Aunt Elsie's purse scent. The new scent is not as complex, lighter, with a tinge of something medicinal.
IMG_20210804_213135826.jpg

The lather was very light, dry, and airy. I added a good amount of water to hydrate, but it never reached the creaminess of real Tabac. Scent level decreased dramatically when lathered.

For me, the joy of Tabac is the scent. I sincerely hoped the new formulation would match, but it does not come close.

As to performance, the new falls short as well. I have always found original Tabac feels dry by the end of a pass. The new accelerates the drying effect.

I have only been into traditional shaving for nine months, and had never heard of Tabac until learning about it here. I am glad to have an extra puck of the real Tabac. It will last me a long time as there are many excellent soaps in this world.

Received my two orders today. The Amazon puck is the new formulation, and the half price bowl from West Coast Shaving is the original formula.
View attachment 1307039
You will see right away the new formula is much lighter than the original. Scent strength right off the puck is stronger on the new, but it lacks the Aunt Elsie's purse scent. The new scent is not as complex, lighter, with a tinge of something medicinal.
View attachment 1307040
The lather was very light, dry, and airy. I added a good amount of water to hydrate, but it never reached the creaminess of real Tabac. Scent level decreased dramatically when lathered.

For me, the joy of Tabac is the scent. I sincerely hoped the new formulation would match, but it does not come close.

As to performance, the new falls short as well. I have always found original Tabac feels dry by the end of a pass. The new accelerates the drying effect.

I have only been into traditional shaving for nine months, and had never heard of Tabac until learning about it here. I am glad to have an extra puck of the real Tabac. It will last me a long time as there are many excellent soaps in this world.

I guess Williams finally has competition from Tabac in the lathering department. No wait- I can lather Williams easy and its plenty slick too.

Did you buy this Tabac bowl from WCS for the $12 offer (then upped to $22 and now sold out). I was told by the WCS team that Tabac is non Tallow since a year.

Shenanigans galore in their "Tabac in bowl " sale.

Top Bottom