What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

WSP Rustic Tobacco is a great soap that works wonderfully with all manner of aftershaves and fragrances, Tabac included.

The Rustic is a vegan soap. I also need to try the Formula T, which is tallow based. Yes, I have the Formula T Tobacco on the way. :)

Yep....already own that one and love it.

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. First off...I've been using Tabac exclusively for years. Just Tabac. Love everything about it and see no need to use other soaps, so safe to say I'm a believer.

The non tallow version. Not the same. Not as good. It doesn't have the same cushion and feels like it's drying on my face if I don't hurry up. Add water gives less cushion. Smells almost the same as the tallow but with a fairly strong common soap smell in there with the Tabac smell. Mustyness is gone. Skin friendly wise it's as good as the tallow. No irritation or dry skin.

All in all a good shaving soap. Nowt wrong with it at all. The tallow was better.

Tallow Tabac 10/10
Non tallow Tabac 8.5/10

The end of an era. Crying shame. Ah well it's only soap.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@luvmysuper Phil, this may be helpful for you.

Apparently they have different soap bases and the ReserveLavender I have is because of scent. I like that soap, but rate it a 4.5 vs Tabac which is my 5.0 standard. The one you are trying may be closer to Tabac, if I read that article right. But they are very good soaps indeed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper Phil, this may be helpful for you.

Apparently they have different soap bases and the ReserveLavender I have is because of scent. I like that soap, but rate it a 4.5 vs Tabac which is my 5.0 standard. The one you are trying may be closer to Tabac, if I read that article right. But they are very good soaps indeed.

Yeah, I was looking specifically for input on the Excelsior base. I had read that link you put up and just wanted to see if anyone had tried it. From what they are saying there, all other things being equal, I know that I would prefer the Excelsior to the Reserve base.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
blasphemy :)

I have these two on the way:
van yuley Puro-La-Habana.jpgwsp_formula_t_tobacco.jpeg

And there's always Mitchell's Wool Fat ;)

Yeah, I was looking specifically for input on the Excelsior base. I had read that link you put up and just wanted to see if anyone had tried it. From what they are saying there, all other things being equal, I know that I would prefer the Excelsior to the Reserve base.

As with so much else in this game, experiences out there vary. I have one of the Excelsior-based B&M soaps, and if I'm being honest, I rarely find myself reaching for it. I use my B&M Reserve soaps (Cool and Lavender) all the time by contrast. It might just be the way I build my lather, but from a pure performance standpoint, I think I prefer the Reserve base.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As with so much else in this game, experiences out there vary. I have one of the Excelsior-based B&M soaps, and if I'm being honest, I rarely find myself reaching for it. I use my B&M Reserve soaps (Cool and Lavender) all the time by contrast. It might just be the way I build my lather, but from a pure performance standpoint, I think I prefer the Reserve base.

Thank you!

So very true. I face lather, but I don't at all enjoy how PAA CK-6 and B&M Reserve bases lather up. That stringy stage before it's fully hydrated, bleh...I don't care for that at all. Which is hard because once you're past that, great shave, great post-shave. Last night had a great shave with the Excelsior base (Petrichor). There's a lot of love for those bases, which is great... they just don't work for me.

As looking ingredients list, there is not much difference.. 🤔
My quess is tabac just gets laureths cheaper than some other soap ingredients, so possibly save cash there?

Top Bottom