What's new

New Nivea glass bottle Post Shave Balm

When did this happen? I wasn’t sure if the milk glass bottle was gonna become plastic, then I saw this! I like! Clear glass

D02B3B63-CA7B-4C45-B27A-5331089E6328.jpeg

Weird. Must be brand new.

I bought my last bottle (in Canada) a few months ago in it was in milk coloured glass.

I like the clear glass bottle (so I can see what's going on inside) but I hate how the new, round, cap screws on. So much so I'm giving consideration to decanting the clear glass bottle into one of the old white glass bottles once it's empty, but... I'm not sure.

Yes, I am easily paralyzed by indecision.

I also notice the old, white bottle is labeled "Made in Germany". The new, clear bottle is marked "Made in Mexico".

Last edited:
I like the clear glass bottle (so I can see what's going on inside) but I hate how the new, round, cap screws on.

I’m the opposite on the cap. I like the fact that it’s just 1/4 turn from sealed to open. I picked up mine at my local Target about 6 weeks ago. First time trying the product, but I enjoy everything about it.

I’m the opposite on the cap. I like the fact that it’s just 1/4 turn from sealed to open. I picked up mine at my local Target about 6 weeks ago. First time trying the product, but I enjoy everything about it.
Now I’m confused. My milk white bottle seals/unseals with a quarter turn. So how does the new clear bottle seal?

I like the clear glass bottle (so I can see what's going on inside) but I hate how the new, round, cap screws on. So much so I'm giving consideration to decanting the clear glass bottle into one of the old white glass bottles once it's empty, but... I'm not sure.

Yes, I am easily paralyzed by indecision.

I also notice the old, white bottle is labeled "Made in Germany". The new, clear bottle is marked "Made in Mexico".

I like the milk glass too. Haven’t tried the new one yet.

Now I’m confused. My milk white bottle seals/unseals with a quarter turn. So how does the new clear bottle seal?
Getting confused myself... Here's what I know as the "old" white bottle with square cap (made in Germany), compared with the "new" clear bottle with the quarter-turn, round cap (made in Mexico):
Nivea New vs Old.jpg

Nivea New vs Old 2.jpg

Its been like this in Australia for months now...they even have it in tubs and tubes now. Its perfect as an aftershave balm. There is no reason to spend anymore money on anything else imo...the bulldog one does smell nice but is a little too sticky for me haha. They probably made the change, as people kept comparing it to proraso aftershave balm (which i've been told is an inferior product but presented much nicer compared to niveas. Now, people can't whine that their $5 aftershave balm doesn't have a luxurious feel to the packaging haha!

Huh. Even weirder. Mine is the white bottle on the left with the cap on the clear bottle on the right.

Getting confused myself... Here's what I know as the "old" white bottle with square cap (made in Germany), compared with the "new" clear bottle with the quarter-turn, round cap (made in Mexico):
View attachment 1175030

View attachment 1175031

mine is the bottle on the left, but with the cap on the right. That was my confusion.

I bought this bottle a couple months ago probably but just opened it up a week ago. I noticed the new cap but didn't notice the slightly different bottle shape. Mine is white glass though. Not clear. It does say Made in Mexico.
PXL_20201029_163124389.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20201029_163201761.NIGHT.jpg

Apparently the formula has changed as well as the bottle. Here's what I found after doing some digging...

Old Bottle:
Water, Glycerin, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Panthenol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tapioca starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Chamomilla Recutita, Glycine Soja Oil, Triceteareth-4 phosphate, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance

New Bottle:
Water, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract , Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Bark/Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tapioca Starch, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Maltodextrin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Piroctone Olamine, Fragrance

Quite a difference. The newer formula is "missing" six ingredients that were present in the old formula and contains four ingredients not present in the old formula. Here's an alphabetized list of ingredients (where [A] = Added, [R] = Removed):

Nivea Compare.jpg

Obviously I'll need to do some side-by-side comparisons. I really like the old formula so I'm hoping the new is at least as good.

Apparently the formula has changed as well as the bottle. Here's what I found after doing some digging...

Old Bottle:
Water, Glycerin, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Panthenol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tapioca starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Chamomilla Recutita, Glycine Soja Oil, Triceteareth-4 phosphate, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance

New Bottle:
Water, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract , Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Bark/Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tapioca Starch, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Maltodextrin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Piroctone Olamine, Fragrance

Quite a difference. The newer formula is "missing" six ingredients that were present in the old formula and contains four ingredients not present in the old formula. Here's an alphabetized list of ingredients (where [A] = Added, [R] = Removed):

View attachment 1175336

Obviously I'll need to do some side-by-side comparisons. I really like the old formula so I'm hoping the new is at least as good.

Looking forward to the comparisons between old and new formulas. Unfortunately, in the shaving world, it seems like formula changes almost always mean chnages for the worse. I hope thats not the case here.

Looking forward to the comparisons between old and new formulas. Unfortunately, in the shaving world, it seems like formula changes almost always mean chnages for the worse. I hope thats not the case here.

I have one “dose” left in the old bottle. I’ll try to do a side by side tomorrow at some point.

Old Bottle:

New Bottle:

View attachment 1175336

Nooooooooooo. Why would anyone change this formula?

Last edited:

Old Bottle:

New Bottle:

View attachment 1175336

Looks like they have removed the parabens. I hope it doesn’t change how it works. I’ll take a look at my white bottle with the quarter turn cap to see if the formula is new or old. I’m expecting old.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Looks like they have removed the parabens. I hope it doesn’t change how it works. I’ll take a look at my white bottle with the quarter turn cap to see if the formula is new or old. I’m expecting old.
Glad the parabens are gone. I don't know if overall this is good or bad (the other ingredients) I would bet there will be little to no difference. Nivea knows what they are doing and will keep quality I think more so than some of the other reformulations. No one is clamoring for old Prorasso, so there is some hope that the reformulation may improve or at least not make the product worse.

Top Bottom