What's new

New Nani 12k

I just purchased a Naniwa 12k, and I'm super excited to try it. Should arrive today or tomorrow. I have always used film to keep my straights sharp, and I have been pleased with the result. I did get a little tired of honing on film as it ended up taking me quite some time each session. I usually used a progression of three or four different grades of film then CroOx. With the Nani, I am thinking I will just use it and hone more frequently. I've heard it said that just a dozen or so laps on a 12k will last you several weeks. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

Most all of my Naniwa stones were out of level a fair amount when new. Be sure to have your new stone dead flat before use.

Good to know. I have a DMT diamond plate that I plan on using for this purpose.

Congrats - Naniwa 12k is what I use for a finishing hone most of the time. Sharp, consistent edges. How long it stays sharp is a bit of an individual thing that depends on other variables. Stropping, how many days in a row you use the same razor, etc will affect how long an edge stays sharp.

IF it is the thin 10mm version check the flatness with a known/proven straightedge every time you go to use it. They can get 'un flat' pretty quick on their own. I had one, would not stay flat. I considered gluing it to glass, but then I just returned it.

The Naniwa 12k super stone has been my finisher for the past three years now. I’m quite happy with it and always get a great edge. 20 laps is typically all my razors need on it. I would expect that your results will be just as good.

The edges that come off the Naniwa 12k are very crisp in my opinion.

Cut yourself easy if you're not careful crisp.

The shaves are great coming off that stone.

Very few strokes were needed.

The 20mm version I had did not stay flat. It didn't seem to retain flatness in between honing sessions, even with minimal strokes... I suspect there is a relationship to the water being introduced to the surface and expansion/contraction that was causing it to not hold flat.

Even though it is definitely a top choice for the synthetic 12K's, I ended up returning mine.

Interesting. I have the 20 millimeter thick stone and have not had an issue with flatness. QC issues possibly?

The Naniwa super stones require just a splash of water for use. No soaking required!

I have a thin one - can polish well but mine is prone to warping which is very annoying honestly. I do not soak just FYI, just spray a little water on top and use. Has warped concave, convex and all other possibilities. I normally spray it down again and let it dry and often it will correct itself. Very annoying. I pondered stabilizing and attaching to glass or tile. Has anyone done that with success before? I sort of worried it wouldn't work or create other issues.

I have a Naniwa 12K, but seldom use it these days. I finish on other stones. The 12K is capable of producing a sharp edge as others have noted, but if you over-hone, the edge can become rather harsh if you have sensitive skin. The recommendation to use no more than 20 laps is a good one.

I have a thin one - can polish well but mine is prone to warping which is very annoying honestly. I do not soak just FYI, just spray a little water on top and use. Has warped concave, convex and all other possibilities. I normally spray it down again and let it dry and often it will correct itself. Very annoying. I pondered stabilizing and attaching to glass or tile. Has anyone done that with success before? I sort of worried it wouldn't work or create other issues.
Here is a thread on that; Naniwa stabilization

I got one a few months ago after using films like yourself.
Really easy to use and it gives a great edge for me. I usually take the films down to 0.3 but can’t really notice much difference between that and the Naniwa. I’ve tried 25 laps with 12 firm ones and gradually lightening the rest, and I’ve also tried 50 laps with 25 firm pressure and 25 lightening laps and both methods have worked great depending on the razor as some steels are harder than others as you know, so each razor would have its own sweet spot regarding number of laps.
It came lapped from the guy I bought it from. I’ve done about 6-8 honings on it so far and haven’t lapped it yet though I think I will before the next honing.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It's a good stone. No tricks, easy to get good results with splash n go. Except for the one thing. I will add to the general consensus that flatness can be an issue and you need to give it a good lapping when you get it. I would NOT use any sort of flattening stone. Just me, but I have always felt, and observed, that overrunning the ends and edge of the "flattening stone" can limit total flatness. A whole sheet of sandpaper glued to a very flat plate will give somewhat better results. Plenty of guys use those various diamond hones or flattening stones, and it has largely been done that way for a long time. I just prefer to minimize overrun and for that, the lapping surface needs to be significantly larger than the stone. YMMV.

It really has been a while since I have honed anything, because I have not bought nor made nor modded any razors lately and my rotation razors never need rehoning due to my balsa maintenance routine. But I have mostly shifted from stones back to film. That way, flatness is never an issue. Results are very consistent. Most of all, lots of honing real estate. 11" of usable length. A lot of guys will fiercely, ferociously even, defend their little pocket stones. That's okay. Do it like you feel it. Me, I like lots of honing area.

You will enjoy using the Nanny, certainly. But there is about a 50% chance that you will eventually come back to film or mostly to film.

Top Bottom