What's new

New Muhle synthetic

The Muhle STF 25mm knot killed any desire I had for high end brushes.
I have mine lofted a little lower than the stock model so it has just the right amount of
scrub and splay for my tastes. Dries up fast and can be used daily unlike badger brushes
which need to be rotated to preserve their lifespan.

One of my best purchases....seriously thinking of getting a backup before they all vanish.

Reactions: nav
I picked up the 25mm from Maggards. It's a great brush. I like it better than my synthetic ShaveMac. My only complaint is that the handle is a little short.

I picked up the 25mm from Maggards. It's a great brush. I like it better than my synthetic ShaveMac. My only complaint is that the handle is a little short.

How would you compare the Muhle to the Shavemac - face feel, splay, backbone? Which knot and loft do you have in the Shavemac?

Have the Muhle STF 25 mm knot in a Rudy Vey cobalt blue beehive handle. It is a soap killer and definitely in my top 10. Can't imagine why anyone would want anything larger. Hate to muddy the waters, but a recently acquired Simpsons Chubby 2 synth is IMHO a bit better (different splay, softer tips, slightly different backbone, etc).. Still love my badgers and boars, but like @Tester28 I've lost my desire for any further high end brushes..

How would you compare the Muhle to the Shavemac - face feel, splay, backbone? Which knot and loft do you have in the Shavemac?

I have the 28mm bulb with a 56mm knot. The shavemac is much less expensive. Face feel and splay go to the Muhle. Backbone and handle go to the shavemac.

I thought these went to 25mm max.

The largest knot that Muhle makes in a STF is 25 mm and not many places carry it. They are becoming hard to find.
The Edwin Jagger is the same knot but it is set differently so it has a different feel than the Muhle. I like them both. Here is a picture of them side by side:

Brushes 25mm knot.JPG

The Muhle STF 25mm knot killed any desire I had for high end brushes.
I have mine lofted a little lower than the stock model so it has just the right amount of
scrub and splay for my tastes. Dries up fast and can be used daily unlike badger brushes
which need to be rotated to preserve their lifespan.

One of my best purchases....seriously thinking of getting a backup before they all vanish.
I'm starting to feel this way also. I have an EJ and a Muhle both in 25mm and I'm already thinking of selling a nice badger I have to buy another Muhle.

Reactions: nav
These are nice brushes. I got a 25mm a few months ago and the only thing that I didn't like a bit at first was that it didn't seem to want to splay very much. In other words, the fibers were a little springy for my taste. After a couple weeks it broke in a bit and splays a little better now. It made fantastic lather right from the start though. I definitely prefer the lather from a few of my synthetics over badger or boar lather although I still use those from time to time.

I'll chime in & add more praise for the Muhle STF brushes. I've had the 21mm, 23mm, & 25mm. I've kept the 21mm. All are superb!

Muhle’s “partner” is not from China.
Is a big chemical company from Germany called BASF .
BASF produces the Silvertip Fibre.

Muhle has ceased the production of their
STF XL (25 mm ) knots since late 2019.Verified from Muhle.
The 19 ,21 & 23 mm knots
are still in production .

STF XL ( 25 mm ) knots after some usage ,they splay nicely and evenly.

My personal opinion is that the
STF (EJ & Muhle) and SSF
(Omega EVO) are actually the best synthetic knots at the moment being .All the rest ,
no matter their price ,are inferior .Some they just don’t splay while their handles are very prone to cracking ,some are way soft having the backbone of a floor mop,
others are way springy and/or
prickly and so on .

No other synthetic knot has the overall quality and characteristics of STF & SSF
knots.-

Does the STF knot have any scritch at all or is it soft like the Plisson synthetic (original, not the white fibre they currently sell)?

Top Bottom