What's new

New Muhle R96 Questions

Hi All,

I've been looking at the new Muhle R96 black handle and have a few questions for anyone who has used it.

1. Are the top cap and base plate both stainless steel?

2. Are the handle flute and base (non-black parts) stainless as well?

3. Is the black handle part plastic, resin or metal?

4. Where does aggressiveness fall compared to the R89 and R41?

Great looking razor and finally a Muhle in stainless steel!

Thanks Much,

Chris

Here's my review : Muhle Rocca R96 V3 - Product Review

Its awesomely efficient, more than many would believe and matches my R41 with ease but, its so much more user friendly than an R41 so you get a better result than you would with the R41. (I had the ATT R1, still got 2 Fatips and for efficiency is trounces over those two and is more on par with my ATT SS H1)

It is all stainless steel, fit and finish is first class. The tabs secure the blade precisely with no movement, alignment is bang on! The handles are also stainless (i think the black one is s/s all through with the pattern but, please check with other sources on this) and birch one birch.

My Rocca R96 sits joint in 1st place with my ATT SS H1 its that damn good.

The R96 Rocca is has been my daily driver since November 2018 and I've never looked back on this purchase.

Thanks so much for the info guys! I like both handles and will pick one up. I'm looking for a Muhle more aggressive than my R89 but less than my R41 2011 (needless to say).

Hi All,

I've been looking at the new Muhle R96 black handle and have a few questions for anyone who has used it.

1. Are the top cap and base plate both stainless steel?

2. Are the handle flute and base (non-black parts) stainless as well?

3. Is the black handle part plastic, resin or metal?

4. Where does aggressiveness fall compared to the R89 and R41?

Great looking razor and finally a Muhle in stainless steel!

Thanks Much,

Chris

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure, some kind on polymer imo
4. Reports vary, but most agree it's somewhere in between R89 and R41. For me it was a bit too harsh but then again I didn't quite enjoy neither R89 or R41.

It's a decent razor, but there were some reported QC issues. I had two and sold them both, unfortunately (none had any QC issues).

Thanks again for the information. I'll post my results after I get one and use it- probably around the middle of the month.

There were some fit & finish issues with these razors. So much so, Muhle has releases 3 versions of it (version 3 being the latest). I'm not sure any US vendors are stocking V3. European vendors are & usually explicitly state it in their listing.

It's a very fine razor and there is now an all black version. It gives a very close and comfortable shave and unless I am careless, don't nick or cut myself. Nice balance as regards head and handle.

Aw geez, 3 versions... really? Well now the research continues. Who has ver. 3, are there any US vendors? I'd email Muhle directly but I don't trust their answers to my questions. They assured me there was no difference between the 2011 and 2013 R41s. I have both razors and the ruler I used to measure top caps and base plates said different. FWIW

Last edited:
Sorry, really. I'm not aware of any US vendors specifically advertising V3. From pictures, it looks like most US vendors have V2. If you check the UK shaving forums, there's a good deal of discussion on the differences (V3's base plate is noticeably different) & issues people have had- A lot of people seem happy with their V2 but others had issues. Must have been common enough though for Muhle to make a V3 which they do acknowledge making. From the UK forums, people report great customer service from Muhle. It's a gorgeous looking razor & while the idea that there are 3 versions may give you pause, I'd look at it as Muhle being responsive & making changes to perfect the design.

Thanks for the info and you make good points. Any solid leads on a European vendor that has the v3?

Okay, connaughtshaving.com has verified R96 ver. 3. Click on the picture of the R96 or R95 and the blurb includes "V3 Closed Comb Head" I'm sure there are others but that's what I could find for now.

Yes Connaught shaving is your best bet, as they have very competitive international shipping.Shave Lounge Uk is another site selling the V3.

I like the Rocca so much i have two!, a V2 R95 (Birch) and a V3 R96 (black resin). Despite some clear differences in the head design, i could discern no noticeable difference in the shaving experience or dynamics between both razors.

I think it got confused with me saying there is now a jet black model. There is and Executive Shaving sells them. They are ultra reliable as is Connaught . However, the v3 mentioned is the third version of the Rocca razor range. I believe v3 heads are slightly different made. I have v2 .The problems were with v1.

Here's my review : Muhle Rocca R96 V3 - Product Review

Its awesomely efficient, more than many would believe and matches my R41 with ease but, its so much more user friendly than an R41 so you get a better result than you would with the R41. (I had the ATT R1, still got 2 Fatips and for efficiency is trounces over those two and is more on par with my ATT SS H1)

It is all stainless steel, fit and finish is first class. The tabs secure the blade precisely with no movement, alignment is bang on! The handles are also stainless (i think the black one is s/s all through with the pattern but, please check with other sources on this) and birch one birch.

My Rocca R96 sits joint in 1st place with my ATT SS H1 its that damn good.

The R96 Rocca is has been my daily driver since November 2018 and I've never looked back on this purchase.

+1! Excellent review!! :a14::a14:

Top Bottom