What's new

New Mühle R89 or R85SR ?

Which new Mühle closed comb DE Razor would you advice?

• R85SR

• R89

Results are only viewable after voting.
Being a somewhat satisfied Merkur 38C user (BIC blades), I'm looking forward to acquire my new daily shaver from Mühle next month as a birthday present for myself.

From info and pics on the internet, I was and still am attracted to the 2009 model of the R89. Visiting a dealer to check it out and feel in in the hand. The R89 was not in stock, but they showed me a R85SR in beautiful African blackwood (also has the new Mühle head). The dealer placed an order for the R89.

Since then the R85SR caught my interest, but next month I have to make up my mind which one will be my shaving buddy for years to come.

At the moment, my preference goes to the R85SR as it is very classy and stylish with the African blackwood plus it has the new head what would provide the same great shaving properties as the new R89.

R89 benefit is the lower cost.

There are many positive experiences posted on this sites about the R89 but I don't seem to find impressions of the R85SR.

Therefore, I would appreciate your input on selection via the poll and share your feedback by posting a reply.

Pics of the R85SR:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Pics of the new R89:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

BTW: Both razors are also available in different finishes, see the Mühle website.

Last edited:
I have not held one of their long-handled razors for a comparison, but I have the R89 and love it.
You also might want to see if you can compare the feel of the R89 to an Edwin Jagger lined chrome, which has a slightly heavier handle with the same head and same length as the R89.

The 2009 version of the R89 is a beautiful razor and shaves wonderful however its light weight. I am sure the other versions you pictured are much heavier but have the identical head. If I was choosing again I would take the heavier razor. Of course IMHO

Here's a curve for you. 89 head on cooncatbob's custom handle.
He can make anything you want and his prices are very very reasonable.
This is burl maple but check his website. $<cooncat bob_handle + R89> ~= $<wooden_Muhle>
View attachment 68793

I have a R89 and while it shaves beautifully and looks great, I am a little dissapointed with the handle. It appears to be hollow (or not very solid material), and when I dropped it in the sink, it dented.

Still would recommend it though.

EDIT: Also check the Edwin Jagger razors, which are made of more solid handles, and have the same head.

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...aditional&#37;20safety & double edge razors@b

It dented???!!! Dented?!! That's the kind of thing I have come to expect from razors made in the third world. Razors that flimsy shouldn't be legal.

I have not held one of their long-handled razors for a comparison, but I have the R89 and love it.
You also might want to see if you can compare the feel of the R89 to an Edwin Jagger lined chrome, which has a slightly heavier handle with the same head and same length as the R89.

Very curious on the Edwin Jagger lined chrome just what part is it that is lined with chrome? Thanks, John

Very curious on the Edwin Jagger lined chrome just what part is it that is lined with chrome? Thanks, John

The outside of the razor is chrome plated.

the lined part is referring to the lines that run down the side of the handle

Very interesting. I have the R89 but the head design in these pics are different than mine. Must be a re-design. All in all I love my R89..it's the only DE razor I use. :biggrin:

Top Bottom