What's new

New Mühle Companion - an unisex razor

Geo Fat Boy just did a video review on this razor. Looks like a Gillette Tech style head which should clamp down the blade well. He found it more aggressive than the EJ89/R89/34C & closer to a Rocca/3one6 razor.

…The whole concept of mild/aggressive seem to fall apart with modern razors. I prefer to go with the terms comfortable/rough to describe the shave quality. There are many razors that folks consider mild but are actually very efficient when shaving and many that folks say are aggressive, but it still takes me three passes to get something close to a DFS.…

+1! This is ^ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Geo Fat Boy just did a video review on this razor. Looks like a Gillette Tech style head which should clamp down the blade well. He found it more aggressive than the EJ89/R89/34C & closer to a Rocca/3one6 razor.
The feature that most appealed to me was the ends of the blade are covered. I was just using my Dad’s old Gillette Slim, and the end seemed to be exposed more than on the Super Speeds or the Fatboy. I hate how that end scrapes across the nose if I’m not careful. I’ve also nicked my ear with the end of the blade once or twice in the past. Covering that razor blade end seems like an idea that should have been done long ago. Perhaps it was. I am unfamiliar with modern razors, as I have only 1960s Gillettes and an old Gem SE razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The world is ready for a Unisex razor, because, you know - regular DE razors won't shave women.

Gillette absolutely marketed specific models towards women and certainly also had he-man marketing towards men, but plenty of women used "mens" razors and plenty of men have used the "womens" razors. I've used the Lady Gillette, which is essentially a Super Speed with a nice longer handle many times. My wife has used my "manly" vintage Gillette razors for years.

While I'm glad to see that manufacturers are making new models, and I'm happy to see a new model from Muhle, if you are a person that has to be told that a given razor can be used by both men and women you probably shouldn't be allowed around sharp razor blades.

The feature that most appealed to me was the ends of the blade are covered. I was just using my Dad’s old Gillette Slim, and the end seemed to be exposed more than on the Super Speeds or the Fatboy. I hate how that end scrapes across the nose if I’m not careful. I’ve also nicked my ear with the end of the blade once or twice in the past. Covering that razor blade end seems like an idea that should have been done long ago. Perhaps it was. I am unfamiliar with modern razors, as I have only 1960s Gillettes and an old Gem SE razor.
If that's the only thing that appeals to you there are other razor heads that cover the tabs. Such as the RR GC razors & others. See this thread below. But some razors exposed the blade end more than others. I have a SLOC & a Gillette Slim that I won on a PIF that fit this mold.
List of razors that cover the blade tabs | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Here another review from IAMCDB. He was also pleasantly surprise by this razor. Thought it was going to be very mild.

Last edited:
I read through some of that post. Ooh wee. I never realized people took razor design so personal.

I prefer the tabs covered but don't mind if they stick out a little bit. Although on my SLOC & Gillette Slim they're too excessive for my taste.

The world is ready for a Unisex razor, because, you know - regular DE razors won't shave women.

Gillette absolutely marketed specific models towards women and certainly also had he-man marketing towards men, but plenty of women used "mens" razors and plenty of men have used the "womens" razors. I've used the Lady Gillette, which is essentially a Super Speed with a nice longer handle many times. My wife has used my "manly" vintage Gillette razors for years.

While I'm glad to see that manufacturers are making new models, and I'm happy to see a new model from Muhle, if you are a person that has to be told that a given razor can be used by both men and women you probably shouldn't be allowed around sharp razor blades.
^^This.

I am a woman and use Merkur Progress, Merkur 38c, Mühle R41, Gillette Super Speed Red Tip, and Gillette Slim. Any razor will shave any body part that is covered by hair that one wishes to remove. Razors don't have a gender.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
^^This.

I am a woman and use Merkur Progress, Merkur 38c, Mühle R41, Gillette Super Speed Red Tip, and Gillette Slim. Any razor will shave any body part that is covered by hair that one wishes to remove. Razors don't have a gender.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Can’t agree more with "Razors don't have a gender."
My wife uses 42c, which has a beautiful art deco style handle, and she thinks 42c is much better than the cartridge that Schick launched for ladies.
We only need to carefully consider the functional design and ergonomics, and the product can serve everyone. This is the current "universal design" concept.
The deliberately added appearance is a superfluous commercial gimmick.

Looking back at the first batch of "ladies razors" in the world from the 1930s to 1940s. They are about the size of toothpicks, it takes a lot of time to shave lips, arms or legs. This thing is obviously designed by a group of males based on their imagination, ladies will definitely feel that using these razors is full of frustration. (Even if they will be very cute mini collections).
218257067_4245145598857644_6810385437668620312_n.jpg

vintage-blue-kewtie-razor-lapin_1_d8eb6f16ea157e1714802bd18ee2157f.jpg

I don't know, I don't have a desire to collect razors but if I was going to buy one all over again...I might consider this one. Looks cool and sleek, good head geometry and design. Not too expensive. The string would actually be pretty useful for me, I currently keep my razor in a cup next to the sink. Being able to hang it up would be a lot neater. Many of you say that ALL razors are unisex but then bag on this razor as being for babies and women because it had the gall to advertise itself as unisex and therefore couldn't shave a real mans beard. It's a razor, the hint is in the name. Geofatboy found it to be more aggressive than the typical workhorse razors ironically.

My thoughts exactly... but then it's advertised as "unisex" (whatever the f__k that means).

Seems like they are catering to today's non-binary, gender-fluid "new normal" perceptions and trying to create a market for a product that embodies that spirit of "let-them-boys-use-the-girls-bathroom", but what do I know...
Unisex means it can be used by anyone and is not specifically designed for one gender.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't know, I don't have a desire to collect razors but if I was going to buy one all over again...I might consider this one. Looks cool and sleek, good head geometry and design. Not too expensive. The string would actually be pretty useful for me, I currently keep my razor in a cup next to the sink. Being able to hang it up would be a lot neater. Many of you say that ALL razors are unisex but then bag on this razor as being for babies and women because it had the gall to advertise itself as unisex and therefore couldn't shave a real mans beard. It's a razor, the hint is in the name. Geofatboy found it to be more aggressive than the typical workhorse razors ironically.
Unisex means it can be used by anyone and is not specifically designed for one gender.
I don't think the majority are saying it is for babies, the comments about it being mild come from Muhles own description in post 1.
"The new design of the shaver head with a finely adjusted blade angle ensures even greater safety." and "it has been designed with diversity in mind, suitable for use on the body and face; it is solid, gentle"
A point being made by many is that any razor is Unisex, a razor doesn't care who, or where it's shaving. To specify that it is Unisex is a little silly because every razor is unisex. To deny that every razor is unisex is to confirm that this one is somehow built specifically to accommodate women, which I do not believe.
It's a new razor.
New models coming out is a good thing.
The Unisex moniker is simply a marketing gimmick.

Did anyone already use the razor and might provide first hand impressions wrt the aggressiveness of the razor? That might be interesting instead of the gender issue...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Did anyone already use the razor and might provide first hand impressions wrt the aggressiveness of the razor? That might be interesting instead of the gender issue...

I presume from reading Muhles description that they themselves consider it to be a "milder" razor. The whole thing with mild versus aggressive is a little misleading to me personally. People rip on the Gillette Tech as being mild and talk about other razors being very aggressive. All that means is that a slightly different technique is needed to shave effectively with it, but a different technique with different razors isn't a new thing anyway.
My personal belief is that if you have developed the skills and technique to shave with a DE properly, it doesn't matter what the gap or blade angle is, you should be able to get a satisfactory, smooth, irritation free shave.
If you're constantly looking to get more aggressive or more mild razors, you probably ought to be paying more attention to your technique first and not trying to make up for shortcomings with a milder or more aggressive razor.
That's just my personal opinion of course. I can get just as fine a shave with a Tech as I can with with a slant, an R41 or a Fatboy on 9.

I presume from reading Muhles description that they themselves consider it to be a "milder" razor. The whole thing with mild versus aggressive is a little misleading to me personally. People rip on the Gillette Tech as being mild and talk about other razors being very aggressive. All that means is that a slightly different technique is needed to shave effectively with it, but a different technique with different razors isn't a new thing anyway.
My personal belief is that if you have developed the skills and technique to shave with a DE properly, it doesn't matter what the gap or blade angle is, you should be able to get a satisfactory, smooth, irritation free shave.
If you're constantly looking to get more aggressive or more mild razors, you probably ought to be paying more attention to your technique first and not trying to make up for shortcomings with a milder or more aggressive razor.
That's just my personal opinion of course. I can get just as fine a shave with a Tech as I can with with a slant, an R41 or a Fatboy on 9.

Point taken. And you are right... However, I just wanted to understand whether the Companion is as mild as a Mühle R89 or maybe a tad more aggressive... I'm sure I could get good shaves with it anyway (as I am capable with all of my DE razors), I just wanted to understand in which "weight class" this razor is punching. In other words: I wanted to know what is to be expected from this razor.

Point taken. And you are right... However, I just wanted to understand whether the Companion is as mild as a Mühle R89 or maybe a tad more aggressive... I'm sure I could get good shaves with it anyway (as I am capable with all of my DE razors), I just wanted to understand in which "weight class" this razor is punching. In other words: I wanted to know what is to be expected from this razor.

Geo Fat Boy found it more aggressive than the R89 & said it was closer to Rocca & 3one6 razor. Also IAMCDB was impressive with the razor & said he was shocked he could feel the blade. He was expecting it to be very mild. As of today you could buy this razor on Amazon for $48 & if you don't like it, IT'S RETURNABLE!

I get the cord. As a shower shaver it's more difficult to find a razor hanger that will accommodate a DE head. The majority are designed for a cartridge. The string allows it to hang off one of the cartridge hanger posts. I like the head design a lot.

Top Bottom