What's new

New Micromatic and a first for me

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I just got this Micromatic today and know very little about this razor. From stuff I read on the forum it was probably made in the 30’s or 40’s ? I also saw recommendations on what blade to use so I ordered some PTFE blades from Amazon. I didn’t even know how to open it until my wife suggested twisting the bottom. Boy, I felt stupid.
Here are a couple photos. I paid $25 plus shipping which I felt was a decent price for the condition the razor is in. As soon as my blades arrive I’ll give it a test drive.

A6E3A603-366E-4282-B15C-4280B32C8027.jpeg
E5536BFF-2511-430C-BD7C-7651EA59A8A8.jpeg

That is a Gem Micromatic Open Comb razor dating from 1930 to 1941. It's the most aggressive of the three Micromatic models. I have one and I like it very much. It's built as solid as a military tank, and it will last two lifetimes of daily use.

The other two models are the Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf 1941 to 1949 medium aggression, and the Gem Micromatic Flying Wing aka Bullet Tip 1947-1948 mild aggression.

So there's a Micromatic available for every type of face and whiskers.

As with any razor do a good job of facial prep, such as a warm shower or washing your face thoroughly with warm water and soap. A good prep and a proper lather makes any shave better. Let us know how you like your Gem Micromatic Open Comb razor.

As Brother Flintstone noted above, keep the handle somewhat high. The procedure is to keep the flat face of the razor head flat against your face, as Gem specified in their Micromatic instructions. You are slicing whiskers, not scraping dried paint off a window pane.

Last edited:
The most common mistakes people make with the Micromatic Open Comb are using the wrong angle and applying pressure. There is a short video online called "Micromatic Tips" from user "MrGuysRazors" where he walks you through it.

Last edited:
Glad someone pointed out the angle. The flat of the razor head is flat on your face. That is the biggest issue with them. Make sure your leather is slick too. As if not the razor can have a tendency to stick to your skin. Sticky razors are not good. Let us know how it goes. The old Shovel Head razors are fun and nice to have.

You have a first-generation MMOC, from the early 30s. Later models have two raised bumps on the blade bed - the lack of these will not impair your shave experience. They were added to facilitate a spineless double-edge GEM blade that was introduced after 1932; modern GEM SE blades have a spine that will help to create the proper blade angle within the razor head. Slow and steady is the key to getting used to this razor. The shave angle is quite shallow, and the GEM PTFE blade is SHARP.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Had my first shave today. The razor seemed aggressive as stated. It was not a comfortable shave for me. I got a nick on my chin which rarely happens. Having a razor that old is cool and comes with some bragging rights though. Thanks for all the good info. I’ll be looking to get the other two models so I can make use of the 100 blades I purchased. And I thought I reached the bottom of the rabbit hole!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It takes a few shaves until you get your razor dialed in and then things works well mostly I have found.
I will leave some information because brochures have been lost and it is a different way of shaving for some. It mocks a straight razor design of use so a shallow angle (riding the cap almost.) is the preferred method.
(click on Picture to enlarge)
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Here is a ball park aggression & efficentcy chart , Gem seemed to change aggression with top cap shape variants and placement of blade stops to the front edge of the safety bar is from my limited research, gaps do not change much on a lot of the Gem razors I have concluded.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Had my first shave today. The razor seemed aggressive as stated. It was not a comfortable shave for me. I got a nick on my chin which rarely happens. Having a razor that old is cool and comes with some bragging rights though. Thanks for all the good info. I’ll be looking to get the other two models so I can make use of the 100 blades I purchased. And I thought I reached the bottom of the rabbit hole!!!

Well, if SE doesn't work out for you, you'll burn through those 100 blades in about 2-3 years so it's not like you're stuck with them...

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Got my Gem Clog Pruf in the mail yesterday. I shaved with it this morning with the same blade. This shave was much smoother than with my open comb model. I did not do an ATG on my neck. I wanted to quit while I was ahead. ATG on my neck is a challenge with razors I am familiar with. The build on this razor is not heavy duty like my other Micromatic. Nevertheless I got a decent shave with it.

F00545EA-29E5-43DC-9A6E-1B6D257610B0.jpeg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Got my third Micromatic yesterday. I think you refer to it as the one with the bullet handle. The condition of this razor is fantastic. It looks like new. I had a decent shave with it today. I went kind of easy on my neck. I’ll take it easy until I have more shaves under my belt.
2DD4E35D-720E-4D31-99D3-0DA59009334A.jpeg

Got my third Micromatic yesterday. I think you refer to it as the one with the bullet handle. The condition of this razor is fantastic. It looks like new. I had a decent shave with it today. I went kind of easy on my neck. I’ll take it easy until I have more shaves under my belt.View attachment 1469589

That's the Flying Wing, aka Bullet Tip. Usually considered the mildest of the Micromatics. Nice styling.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Got my third Micromatic yesterday. I think you refer to it as the one with the bullet handle. The condition of this razor is fantastic. It looks like new. I had a decent shave with it today. I went kind of easy on my neck. I’ll take it easy until I have more shaves under my belt.View attachment 1469589
That razor would be a good to break in a new blade as compared to the MMOC IMO.

Top Bottom