What's new

New Merkur 20C and 30C?

I think it's about time Merkur stopped the old Lee Iacoccoa smoke-and-mirrors trick by having essentially one type of razor head with different handles. Chrysler Corporation sold their famous K-Car as coupes, sedans, luxury models, and mini-vans. They also had the economy Omni/Horizon and their truck platforms as Merkur has it's Bakelite and adjustable head models.

Just enough to truly advertise some sort of variety in the product lines but essentially BORING. I bought a 34C, liked it, PIFed it to my friendly local gorilla, and bought a 38C for the longer handle. Both are good products but the same otherwise. :Yawn:

Since I don't want an adjustable, I have no reason to buy another Merkur. If I decide to get another ax to fill the one remaining spot in my rack, it'll be another brand for sure.

I agree absolutely. It would be even better if Merkur would offer an alternative, better metal for their heads than cast zinc alloy - a metal, barely, that has nothing to do with quality in any sense.

I think it's about time Merkur stopped the old Lee Iacoccoa smoke-and-mirrors trick by having essentially one type of razor head with different handles. Chrysler Corporation sold their famous K-Car as coupes, sedans, luxury models, and mini-vans. They also had the economy Omni/Horizon and their truck platforms as Merkur has it's Bakelite and adjustable head models.

Just enough to truly advertise some sort of variety in the product lines but essentially BORING. I bought a 34C, liked it, PIFed it to my friendly local gorilla, and bought a 38C for the longer handle. Both are good products but the same otherwise. :Yawn:

Since I don't want an adjustable, I have no reason to buy another Merkur. If I decide to get another ax to fill the one remaining spot in my rack, it'll be another brand for sure.

The Progress, Vision, Futur, Slant, the open comb, and the standard head are all different. Do the other makers have more than six different heads on their razors ?

Hello,

I was just browsing an online shop and a new Merkur razor appeared: the Merkur 30C and 20C. The knurled handle seems to have some kind of "anodizing" treatment.
pic:
proxy.php

Anybody already tried it?

It looks great imho...

Nice! This handle with a slant head....:001_tt1:

Gillette set the standard for the "smoke and mirrors" regarding the marketing DE razors. Look at the number of ways, beginning in the 1920s and continuing for the next forty or fifty years, that they packaged the same razor in different ways, tacked on a different name, and turned it loose. A New Standard is a New Standard, except when it is a Tuckaway. Then, of course, it's a Tuckaway. Right.

Merkur, to my knowledge, is a small(ish) operation. They will ever appeal to a niche within a niche. I have said in other threads than I would pay more for either Merkur or Muhle products made of solid brass and plated. We'll see if that ever happens. But I think Merkur is on the right track.

Recently I bought a 20c from Phil at Bullgoose. It is three piece, with a predictable Merkur head. The handle has a great texture to it, grippy but not sticky. This thread introduced me to the existence of the 30c. Shorter handle? I like the 20c. They got the handle texture right on this one. Ask, and I'll bet they will some day offer this texture on a fatter handle.

Picked up the 20C from Bullgoose what a treat, I wasn't sure what to expect when my hands got wet, handle didn't slip at all and i didn't have to give it a death grip either. I always had to re-adjust my grip on the Parker. I have a big hands and long fingers the extra length is great.

So if it's the 3 pc 'classic' head, how would it shave compared to a 34C HD? The same?? The heads look nearly identical.

I was curious to hear if anyone else has bought this razor and how they like it? I think it's kind of sexy and might pick up something new.

Also just to clarify because I've seen it mentioned on a few other websites, what is the black handle material? It's not rubber is it?

I have one (20C) and I like it a lot, it is nice having the option of a long handle and the handle is in deed metal

I have one (20C) and I like it a lot, it is nice having the option of a long handle and the handle is in deed metal

Awesome, glad to hear it's not rubber or something else. I'm guessing the performance would be similiar to other merkur's with the same style head? I have a 38C that I am thinking about replacing.

I have been using a new 30c with a Irridium blade for the past 4 days. (note: the 20c is longhandled and 30c is the short handled version) I have found the razor to have a nice weight and balance. I really like the look of the razor and the non-slip surface of the grip which I think that is some kind of black metal but I am not sure.

I normally use either an open comb or a slant but really enjoyed using this new one - the quality seems pretty good and I think it might be the sole straight bar to make it into my regular rotation.

I wanted to try the new Muhle R-41 toothcomb, so to get some free shipping, I ordered this and a new Merkur red bakelite as well. I haven't tried either yet.

Yes, I saw your review :
I have several questions :

Alright, here are my kind of newbie-ish answers. (I've only been DE shaving for two months now. Had ordered a 34C on Amazon, returned it b/c of uneven blade exposure, then bought another 34C, also on Amazon, returned it for the same reasons... then went into my local knife store in San Francisco and got the 30C. And I can say, for now, I've arrived. I'm sure I'll want to try the R41 at one point and everyoone seems to be raving about the EJ89. But for now I'll first and foremost work on my technique. Still working on that balance between superclose shave (like, OCD-close) and having as little irritation as possible. Ok, but I'm rambling here... Let's get to the 30C)

•What type of razors do you usually like?
Only my second DE razor. Had 34C before, liked it. Was lacking quality though.

•Overall dimensions?Length: 3 1/4"

•Weight?
Weight: 55g

•Centre of gravity (balancing point)?
Head heavy. The handle is made of aluminum and hence very light.

•Are the 20C/30C essentially 23C/33C with new handles ?
-anyone else?-

•Does it have the same blade gap as the Merkur 23C/33C ?
-anyone else want to answer this?-

•More or less aggressive than the Muhle/Edwin Jagger DE89 heads ?
Wouldn't know. A tiny bit less aggressive than the 34C, but also smoother in the shave. The angle for maximum aggressiveness seems different than the 34C. If you get the angle right, this gives me a super close shave. Like, nothing-left-to-shave close.

•More aggressive than the Feather AS-D1 ?
-anyone?-

•Is the blade a little bit off centre (more blade exposure on one side) like many other Merkur ?
This one was perfectly even for me. Really checked it. But hey, I sent back two other Merkur razors before I found this one, so I'm not sure if all 30Cs are that evenly built. But the one I have is super even. No complaints here.

•How is the chrome compared the Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors ?
Same chrome as on the other Merkur razors. Embossed/stamped logo on bottom of handle. The logo is a bit unevenly stamped into the chrome. But overall everything feels like it's very well made.

•Any picture along side with the Muhle and Feather ?
-nope-

Overall this is a great razor. It feels less workhorse-ish than the 34C. Handle makes it feel a bit more elegant without just being shiny and blingy. It's definitely very light, which is actually growing on me. It helps that the grip on the handle is very good, doesn't matter if wet or not.

You can disassemble the whole razor (parts: the knob at the bottom of the handle, handle itself, 3 piece head). Seems ideal for traveling.

Used it with some Astra SPs.

That's all I can think of for now. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom