What's new

New Members! The 6 P's of Shaving.

New members, I hope you find this useful.
There is a lot to remember, but the most important thing is to relax and take it easy.

Prepare -- Hot towel, pre-shave oil/cream, mood lighting or music? I'm a firm believer in a pre-shave oil/cream. You like the hot towel. Whatever you choose to do, be sure you set yourself up proper.

Patience -- Take your time. Don't rush. Ask those of us who have rushed. Weepers, nicks and cuts are not worth the extra 5 minutes to shave. Besides, you're enjoying shaving with a DE, brush, &c. right? so take the time and enjoy the whole experience.

Pressure -- A light touch is required to cut the whiskers and not your face. In experimenting with different razors and blades, include pressure in your calculations. Don't forget to consider the weight of the razor as well.

Practice different techniques -- Having troubles with that one spot on your neck? is your chin giving you grief? Read the boards, post questions. We have a great community here.

Persistence -- Don't give up. Try a blade sampler, try new creams, shave at night, with patience and practice, you can do it. The reward of a nice shaven face is worth the trouble.

Post shave -- Ok, so you've just dragged a sharp metal blade across your face. Your skin is screaming for relief. Witch hazel, skin food, lotion or balm, treat your face to something soothing.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marc, may I add the 7th P, please?

Passion: Wet shaving is a true passion. In any way you decide to proceed and whatever tools you decide to use - be it a boar or badger brush, a shaving cream or shaving soap, a DE or straight, always do it with love. The best results are obtained when you apply all your energy in what you do and go on with commitment and enthusiasm.

Good advice mate, cheers. I've been DE shaving for about two months, and I'm just starting to consistently make sure the 6 P's happen properly every shave. My progress is much better lately than it was at the start.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
New members, I hope you find this useful.
There is a lot to remember, but the most important thing is to relax and take it easy.

Prepare -- Hot towel, pre-shave oil/cream, mood lighting or music? I'm a firm believer in a pre-shave oil/cream. You like the hot towel. Whatever you choose to do, be sure you set yourself up proper.

Patience -- Take your time. Don't rush. Ask those of us who have rushed. Weepers, nicks and cuts are not worth the extra 5 minutes to shave. Besides, you're enjoying shaving with a DE, brush, &c. right? so take the time and enjoy the whole experience.

Pressure -- A light touch is required to cut the whiskers and not your face. In experimenting with different razors and blades, include pressure in your calculations. Don't forget to consider the weight of the razor as well.

Practice different techniques -- Having troubles with that one spot on your neck? is your chin giving you grief? Read the boards, post questions. We have a great community here.

Persistence -- Don't give up. Try a blade sampler, try new creams, shave at night, with patience and practice, you can do it. The reward of a nice shaven face is worth the trouble.

Post shave -- Ok, so you've just dragged a sharp metal blade across your face. Your skin is screaming for relief. Witch hazel, skin food, lotion or balm, treat your face to something soothing.

Marc, may I add the 7th P, please?

Passion: Wet shaving is a true passion. In any way you decide to proceed and whatever tools you decide to use - be it a boar or badger brush, a shaving cream or shaving soap, a DE or straight, always do it with love. The best results are obtained when you apply all your energy in what you do and go on with commitment and enthusiasm.
Marc & Marco:
$assioh37nico1.gif...awesome info and excellent advise for all shavers (DE & str8)...well done...this is a 'keeper' :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape”. Anonymous

Marc, excellent advice, put forward in the best possible terms! :thumbup:

I'd propose this to be made a sticky for newbies!

Top Bottom