What's new

New Member Report/Rave

Hello and good morning to all,

First I would like to say thank you to everyone for all of the advice posted here, several times I have been ready to post a question only to search the forums and find the answer already posted.

I have been wet shaving now for about three weeks. I am using a Merkur Futur razor and blades. I started off with the Proraso cream, pre-shave and lotion. I already owned a Crabtree & Evelyn (CE) brush from years past when I was still using a multi blade razor. Since then I have obtained CE almond oil cream and an assortment of Trumper products (thanks for the tip to someone on asking for samples).

My first shave was a thing of trepidation; imagine that sharp blade so close without the comfort of a preset angle and ease of a multi-blade. But I had a smile on my face the whole day and was amazed at the closeness of that shave. At 10:00 am my face felt like it used to at 6:00 am post shave, by 5:00 pm it was like midday used to be. Amazing, and to think I was paying ~$3.50 a blade for that privilege.

That was great for about 3-days then I thought I was doing so great that I set the razor to “2”. Oops, mistake, my face developed very small red marks on the skin and multiple cuts. Okay so back to “1” and then after a week I was able to shave my cheeks against the grain for an even better shave. That was going so well, that I tried shaving my neck against the grain, a huge no-no for me normally. First couple days were great, same smoothness on my neck as my face, something I have never had since I started shaving (I’m 47 you do the math). Then on day 3 or 4, I developed some irritation from the collar of my shirt right at the neck line. It was about this time the Trumper samples showed up so I started using the skin food (I think I like the lime better) with good results.

But now, I have an irritation that does not want to go away. I think I will try backing off on the pressure on my neck and not shaving against the grain there for a week or so to see if that helps.

Sorry, for the long winded post but I really appreciate all the freely shared knowledge here and advice. It is great to have an outstanding shave during the day; I feel like I stand a little taller and hold my head up when I do. Isn’t it amazing that a good shave can do that for you.

Well done Martin,
You sound like another of the happy campers returning to the fold. The irritation on your neck, is it at the collar line? Do you wear either starched or buttoned (closed) collar shirts? You may wish, after the irritation has passed, to try horizontal strokes, both with and or against the grain, i.e. from the adams apple out towards the jugular/carotid, and from the outside in before you do an against the grain (S-N). I also find that moisturizing after the shave with balm will sometimes reduce the opportunity for a collar to irritate potentially sensitive skin.
Welcome to B&B where better living begins with better lather.

Martin, welcome!

As a recovering neck-irritator myself, I'm going to reinforce your notion to not go against the grain (or at least go easier in some way) to let your neck heal up.

Ron, thanks for the collar idea... Even on my best days my collars can still be an issue, so trying some sort of more elaborate A/S routine in the beleaguered areas will be next up.

-Rich

Martin,

I too wear collared shirts on a regular basis ( no starch) and I have found that after my shave using an alum block has reduced my irritation to zero.

In fact, I always know when to change my blade because when I don't, using the alum block stings. otherwise, that cool refreshing feel of stone against skin is something I look forward to after each shave. hope this helps.

Marty

Ron, yes I wear collared shirts, no ties, and no starch. Do you have a recommendation on an A/S balm? Also I notice quite a few people using Hydrosols here, what is that used for?

Marty, I currently have an alum stick I use for cuts/nicks. I am having a hard time imagining using it on my whole face as the stick leaves a white residue on my face that has to be cleaned off after. How do you resolve that?

Martin,

Welcome to B&B. Sound like Ron & company have given you some great ideas to begin the battle.

Martin,

i actually just use it on the shaved areas (cheeks,under the lip, and neck). I then apply my aftershave balm a minute later. before i put on my shirt, i normally moisturize again with some lotion.

i have found that the block does dry my skin, but since i have a problem with oily skin, this hasn't bothered me.

Marty

SofaKing said:
Ron, yes I wear collared shirts, no ties, and no starch. Do you have a recommendation on an A/S balm? Also I notice quite a few people using Hydrosols here, what is that used for?

Marty, I currently have an alum stick I use for cuts/nicks. I am having a hard time imagining using it on my whole face as the stick leaves a white residue on my face that has to be cleaned off after. How do you resolve that?
Hydrosols, e.g. DaVinci Water, thoroughly cleanse any remaining soap from the skin after the shave and (prinicipally) provide an astringent to the skin, pulling things together and closing pores. Also, if you are an aromatherapy fan, they provide a few delicious moments of pleasure and well being.
Aftershave balms tend to be personal choices and relate to your complexion, etc. I have far more than I should, but like the Crabtree & Evelyn (Sandalwood, Nomad, Sienna-pick one), love the T&H Classic, Floris of London (Santal, JF, Elite-pick one)... The Caswell and Massey (Pick your fragrance), J&E Atkinsons Mango Kernal oil pre-post ASB, and dozens of others.. If you like GFT's skin food, the J&E gives the same feeling of skin sealing, but also has moisturizing capacity. Eddie Bauer has a "Pure" range of men's toilettries.. I like that balm too.
Many of the forums denizens like some of the Aloe Extra (or something like that) found in health food stores, etc.. See if you can find an accommodating toilettries shop where you may try a sample or two of their wares. Just a note, the T&H Classic has lanolin. Some gents are overly sensitive to this. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom