What's new

New Member - Question

Hello all!

New to the site and had a question. My question might not go over very well in this forum, but I need to ask anyway.

I like the idea of wet shaving with the higher end products than a traditional multi-blade shave, which is why I found this forum.

I currently shave with a Power Fusion...my results with the Fusion are very good. I can shave ATG and get a very smooth result, with very little irritation and no ingrown hairs. I do get a little acne, but that's with or without shaving.

Ok, so after all that we get down to the question: Would I benefit from making the jump to wetshaving or should I just stick with what I'm doing?

Thanks,

Jim

Welcome!
Fellow newbie here recommending that you make the jump. Why?
I find that taking the time to shave with a quality razor, soaps, and brushes provides a special time for relaxation and pampering. Plus, when you get a great shave you really feel a sense of accomplishment. You will also find that purchasing blades is heck of a lot cheaper than replacing cartridges.

Last edited:
If you like the idea of traditional wet shaving, and the idea of DE razors, then yes, go for it! If the double edge razors don't work as well for you as the fusion (after you give the DE a month or so), use the traditional products (brush, soap, etc) with the fusion. I wouldn't consider using a new product like the fusion because it works better for you a failure though. Use what works for you! And have fun!

There are many reasons to convert. Many here had problems with shaving and traditional wet shaving resolved these. Many felt they were not getting a close enough shave. Some are seeking a cheaper alternative to cartridge razors. Some like to be different. Many just like to do things the old fashioned way, when men were still men. Others like the personal time it takes and find it to be a Zen-like time for relaxation.

Honestly, I am a combination of all the above. Any one of these reasons are good reasons. Is it worthwhile? Yes! Is it for you? Probably. Try it out with a cheap starter set-up and see what you think.

One other point, most of us have seen a vast improvement in our acne through wet shaving. The brush, soap, and water do the skin a lot of good.

There are many reasons to convert. Many here had problems with shaving and traditional wet shaving resolved these. Many felt they were not getting a close enough shave. Some are seeking a cheaper alternative to cartridge razors. Some like to be different. Many just like to do things the old fashioned way, when men were still men. Others like the personal time it takes and find it to be a Zen-like time for relaxation.

Honestly, I am a combination of all the above. Any one of these reasons are good reasons. Is it worthwhile? Yes! Is it for you? Probably. Try it out with a cheap starter set-up and see what you think.

+1 on Blackfoots comments. I would only add that the ability to choose a blade that is better for you is something to consider. I have finally finished my sampler pack, and found 3 out of 9 that are good for me. There are still another 4 to 5 blades that I intend to try before I make up my mind. This is an option that does not exist with cartridge razors-you shave with what they give you.:ohmy:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Depending on what you want to achieve (no irritation, a lower cost of blades, a more enjoyable session, etc). Then yes, shaving with a DE or straight might be the answer. If you are looking for speed, Fusion should be your answer.

A DE takes a bit more time but it's worth it IMO.

I would do whatever works best for you. For me its the DE. I even hear that some folks like the Electric razor.

Welcome to B&B! Use what works. I usually use a DE, but still use an M3 from time to time when I don't feel like taking the time to use a DE. The brush and other stuff are what make it nicer for me.

Aaron

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like Blackfoot's answer. At 50 years of age I might have tougher skin than most and the various cartridges worked for me. I occasionally used "canned goop" when I could not be bothered to find a store that sold shaving cream. I switched when I thought the price of cartridge blades became absurd.

After a fair bit of practice I get a better shave now with a DE or straight razor than I did with a cartridge and I enjoy the experience far more. For me the additional time it takes in the morning is minimal. The whole shower and shave thing is done in less than 20 minutes.

I don't want to jerk you around . . . it does take practice and you will probably have some bad shaves and some nicks before you get to where you want to be. The trip is fun though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you like the idea of traditional wet shaving, and the idea of DE razors, then yes, go for it! If the double edge razors don't work as well for you as the fusion (after you give the DE a month or so), use the traditional products (brush, soap, etc) with the fusion. I wouldn't consider using a new product like the fusion because it works better for you a failure though. Use what works for you! And have fun!

One other point, most of us have seen a vast improvement in our acne through wet shaving. The brush, soap, and water do the skin a lot of good.

Very good points made here.

For clarity sake - Wet shaving means the use of water, soap/cream and a brush. There is no specification to the razor type.
If you like the multi bladed thingies, then that's what you like.
Can you benefit from shifting to brush and soap from canned goo while still using a cart razor? Indeed you can. The relaxation, the smaells of the soap, the exfoliation of the brush, all good things.

Can you benefit from shifting to a single edge, double edge or straight razor from the cart?
Only you can answer that question.

I truly enjoy my shaves now, and look forward to them instead of hating them like I did before.
Perhaps that shift can change your attitude from toleration to also enjoying the process.

Either way, welcome to B&B, glad you found us.

+1. I think you could benefit from some good cream and a brush and some of the other prep. If after trying a DE, you feel the fusion works better for you, so be it. At least you will get the benefit of some quality products and prep which should improve your experience.

I switched mostly because I was appalled at the price of replacement Fusion cartridges and finally got angry enough to look for an alternative.

The result has been good shaves, finding a great forum, and a new hobby in trying different products. Also, I used to get bumps on my neck along my beard as I went through the week (shaving everyday). I blamed it on irritation from the shirt collar, but since I switched to a double edged safety razor and a proper cream and brush, there are no more bumps with those same shirts.

I think a DE is at least worth a try. If it doesn't work out for you, at least you tried it and don't have to keep thinking about it.

Make the jump, you'll never know how it works out for you until you try it. If you find you still like the fusion better after giving it its due trial then go back.

+1 on Blackfoots comments. I would only add that the ability to choose a blade that is better for you is something to consider. I have finally finished my sampler pack, and found 3 out of 9 that are good for me. There are still another 4 to 5 blades that I intend to try before I make up my mind. This is an option that does not exist with cartridge razors-you shave with what they give you.:ohmy:
+1 on this. You can try it out cheaply and if it is not for you go back to what you were doing before. Just remember it take a little while on some people for their skin to adjust to the new way of shaving. Welcome to the forum.

Same questions on my mind a week ago with the power fusion. For $40.00 us they have 15 cartridges and 3 shaving gel aerosols at Costco with a coupon. Same price as a new brush and Proraso menthol soap at Amazon. I'm breaking in my new brush today and looking locally to get my Kiebetz 150 razor honed and sharpened.
Search the tutorials exhaustively and ask any question you think you can get answered.
Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom