What's new

New Member - One of the best weeks of my life!

Hello,

OK, I'm easy-going, energetic and positive 99% of the time. But I'm always amazed how those small seemingly unimportant things can lift your spirits and calm your mind.

This week has been a great adventure - one worthy of a lengthy chapter in my imaginary memoir. Here's a little background on me first:

1. I had a variety of allergies as a kid and perfume/cologne was always an impossibility for me. In fact, I've never purchased a bottle of cologne or aftershave for myself.

2. I have searched far and wide for the perfect hair gel/mouse/creme/styling product for the last 8 years (since I cut off my long hair). Nothing ever worked. They were always too greasy, too dry, too flaky, too smelly, too crunchy, too... whatever. I would estimate that I've spent more than a grand on crappy hair stuff at salons, boutiques and department stores around the world. Some I would return, most I would throw away after one or two uses. Life goes on, and hair is just hair, but this has been my secret quest, my holy grail of frivolous, folical shopping.

3. I've always hated shaving and never finished thinking I've just had a decent one.

All of these things changed in just one week!

If I were a believer in astrology, I'd say the stars were aligned for me and start buying lotto tickets. But what began with a random article on wetshaving (and led me here) has become a lifechanging event.

1. It turns out I've grown out of my worst allergies, and cologne is not only an option for me, its a small obsession. Based on these forums and a few trips to the mall, I've narrowed down a selection of colognes to three (OMG I love the new Creed original Santal at Neiman Marcus).

2. While looking at DE razors at a store, I stumbled upon (ironically) one of the LEAST expensive hair pomades that is everything I ever wanted for my head and more (Garnier Fructose Surf Hair).

3. Shaving is fabulous! My face feels sensational and I've gone snoozless every morning this week because I'm so excited about the shaves I've been getting with a Super badger brush and Taylor creme.

This is a very long post and I apologize for that, but who else could I talk about all this with (revealing, as it were, a secret history of self-doubt and personal longing)? Who would understand my childlike enthusiasm? Who would nod (understandingly) and congratulate me with a sincere but knowing smile?

My being here should make that answer obvious. I'm impressed and intrigued by B&B and I look forward to reading more of everyone's information and advice.

In short, thank you.

Welcome to B&B. It sounds like you have made a long journey that brought you to us. It's nice to hear that your allergy issues have subsided. I agree Creed Santal is a regal cologne. Continued luck on your quest for better grooming.

Greetings Bartelby,
It does one's heart good to hear such an uplifting recollection. Welcome to the wetshaver's at B&B and I hope we can help you continue that string of exceptional moments. There are a number of gents from Michigan haunting the halls of B&B. When you have a chance, visit the Hall of Fame and write your own story on our virtual walls of marble.

Bartelby,

Just think...if you had won the lottery, it would have been a PERFECT week!

Glad to have you here.

Randy

Bartelby:

Welcome to our little slice of heaven! Thanks for your post, I really enjoyed it. Isn't it amazing how such a mundane task of removing hair from your face can become such an obsession and immensly enjoyable task. It is the small things that bring joy sometimes! All you need now is more STUFF!:biggrin:
Please post frequently and let us know how things progress.

Welcome Bartelby.

Isn't it a pleasure to find others who have secretly suffered from the same problems as you, the same feelings of personal grooming inadequacy, and the same day to day frustrations with a ritual that should simply not be as hard as it has become for the majority of modern man. Like you, when I first found this board, I felt as though a burden had been lifted.

Congratulations on your liberation and good luck as your journey continues.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If this is your first post, I, for one, can't wait to see more.

Reading this at work.. and felt the energy thru your post Bartelby

I have heared horror stories from my neighbour who went to see people who cant even be outside in the normal air because their skin will react to anything even opening mail envelopes from the postbox cause them allergies and thus they use gloves to read mail. dont even get near them with a/s or so you could seriously cause them to go to the Hospital.

so your one of the few lucky ones that escaped that tirany.. this place is one of a lost treasure Island to me Paradise only a few www. clicks away nice people good vibe's

Bartelby,

Glad to hear of your success and newfound freedom in cologne use. welcome to the club and don't worry about the length of your posts- when they are well said(written), i for one hated to see it end.

Marty

I read your post with a sense of deja vu, as your experiences mirror my own--but much more elegantly said!
I also live in Michigan, and want to know if you've found a store/shop that carries decent shave "stuff"?

Mitch

Bartelby said:
Hello,

OK, I'm easy-going, energetic and positive 99% of the time. But I'm always amazed how those small seemingly unimportant things can lift your spirits and calm your mind.

This week has been a great adventure - one worthy of a lengthy chapter in my imaginary memoir. Here's a little background on me first:

1. I had a variety of allergies as a kid and perfume/cologne was always an impossibility for me. In fact, I've never purchased a bottle of cologne or aftershave for myself.

2. I have searched far and wide for the perfect hair gel/mouse/creme/styling product for the last 8 years (since I cut off my long hair). Nothing ever worked. They were always too greasy, too dry, too flaky, too smelly, too crunchy, too... whatever. I would estimate that I've spent more than a grand on crappy hair stuff at salons, boutiques and department stores around the world. Some I would return, most I would throw away after one or two uses. Life goes on, and hair is just hair, but this has been my secret quest, my holy grail of frivolous, folical shopping.

3. I've always hated shaving and never finished thinking I've just had a decent one.

All of these things changed in just one week!

If I were a believer in astrology, I'd say the stars were aligned for me and start buying lotto tickets. But what began with a random article on wetshaving (and led me here) has become a lifechanging event.

1. It turns out I've grown out of my worst allergies, and cologne is not only an option for me, its a small obsession. Based on these forums and a few trips to the mall, I've narrowed down a selection of colognes to three (OMG I love the new Creed original Santal at Neiman Marcus).

2. While looking at DE razors at a store, I stumbled upon (ironically) one of the LEAST expensive hair pomades that is everything I ever wanted for my head and more (Garnier Fructose Surf Hair).

3. Shaving is fabulous! My face feels sensational and I've gone snoozless every morning this week because I'm so excited about the shaves I've been getting with a Super badger brush and Taylor creme.

This is a very long post and I apologize for that, but who else could I talk about all this with (revealing, as it were, a secret history of self-doubt and personal longing)? Who would understand my childlike enthusiasm? Who would nod (understandingly) and congratulate me with a sincere but knowing smile?

My being here should make that answer obvious. I'm impressed and intrigued by B&B and I look forward to reading more of everyone's information and advice.

In short, thank you.

Top Bottom