What's new

New Member, not New Wetshaver

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking on here a couple months getting some good advice. Decided I should probably join in at this point.

I originally got into wetshaving about 10 years ago. After trying out a few different things, I purchased a matching razor and brush set by R.A. Rooney. I loved the med/larger silvertip brush that came with the set. I swapped out the head of the razor for either a Mercur or Parker.

I tried out many of the soaps that were available at the time, which if I rememebr correctly didn't include all these great artisinal soaps that are around now. I quickly figured out that I preferred the tallow based triple milled soap. I also found that I preferred building lather in a bowl. I got into the routine of using Tabac about 80% of the time, followed up with a splash of AV Ice Sport. I was content with this combination.

After a couple years I decided to grow out a full beard, which I have kept since. At first I would still go through the whole wetshaving process to shave my neck and clean up the top of my cheeks. Eventually I moved onto using Nuetrogena shave gel, but kept on with the DE. Finally, a couple years ago, I stopped using a razor and just used my beard trimmer to keep things tidy.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. After a move I decided to give myself a clean shaven neck, and grabbed my trusty Tabac to lather up. I then realized that for the life of me, I could not find my shaving brush. After quite a long search I decided to just use the shave gel and went to grab my razor, which I quickly realized had broken in the move.

After much cursing, I went through the process of researching the purchase of a new wetshaving toolkit. I decided I wanted something on the higher end that would last forever. I settled on the Feather AS-D2. I also purchased a Muhle R41 since I wanted to try an open comb and it was relatively cheap.

After doing some brush research, I first realized that Rooney brushes do not seem to be available anymore. I decided since I was just shaving my neck I wanted to get something with a smaller knot, and also something in silvertip since my neck is somewhat sensitive. I landed on the Simpson Tulip 2 in Super Badger.

I also picked up a few different creams to try out, which I had never uses in the past. After a shave with each razor, I came to the conclusion that I much prefer the R41. The AS-D2 was just way too mild. I swapped out the handles, since the R41 handle was slick as snot and hard to hold onto. I continued chugging along with the R41 making my way through some creams, and then trying out some of the new soaps.

I decided I wanted to start shaving my head, since I was tired of trying to hold on to the little hair that was left up there. I wanted to get a larger brush, since the surface area would be much larger. I didn't want to spend a fortune on it, so ended up with a Frank's in Silvertip and 26mm knot. It is of good quality, but not quite up there with the Simpson.

Sunday and Monday were my first 2 head shaves. On Monday I tried out my new Game Changer .84 open comb, and loved it. I also purchased an ATT SE2 to see what all the fuss over single edge is about. As well as a Semogue 830 to try out a boar brush. Needless to say, lurking on this forum has not been kind to my wallet.

After working through some soaps, my favorites so far are Shannon's, WSP Cream, Declaration Grooming, and my old standby Tabac. I also grated together what I had left of a MWF puck, which I could never get a good shave out of, plus what I had left over from some old Speik, Volabra, La Toja, and Palmolive sticks. This might actually be my best performing soap right now.

I got good, but not great shaves out of Stirling, WSP T Formula, and Wholly Kaw. I have some samples of A&E, B&M, and Cella on deck to try out.

For "healing" properties I prefer Speik and La Toja splashes. I have come up with my own blend of 3 parts La Toja, 2 parts Speik, and 1 par Thayers Witch Hazel Toner. For scent, I am currently mostly enjoying the El Dorado blend dreamed up by one of the members here.

Thank you for taking your time to read. I look forward to participating in these forums.

Thanks. Yeah I was shocked how well it worked out. I think there is really something to the Lanolin in MWF. But I could just never get it to preform right with my crappy South FL tap water. It's so good, I'm almost considering using it exclusively. But I'm having too much fun trying out everything else. Plus it has zero scent. I think it all evaporated years ago.

Top Bottom