What's new

New member; my journey so far...

Welcome to B&B !! Normal journey so far, but wait you need to get some Gem blade single edge razors before moving to straights
Thanks! I admit I did look into Gem razors briefly but they didn't seem to be calling my name. I'm kind of lost at how to tackle vintage stuff . . . although I did just remember there are some modern examples . . . Blackland Sabre I think . . . I appreciate the suggestion!

Welcome! Have fun with the Feather kamisori , I have the folding version with Proguard blades. It’s a fine setup. Perhaps your curiosity will lead you to SR shaving eventually, highly recommended IMHO. Hang on for the ride!

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement about my choice! I had a hard time picking between kamisori and folding. In the end, the simpler design won out. I think the rubberized handle and rounded grip could be good for starters. That said, the more days I use my Parker, the less I have to think about the folding handle... Hurry up and get here, Feather SS!

I have a feeling I'll end up trying a straight razor eventually, and that when I do, I'll be able to wield it with more confidence. Here was my thinking on the pathway:
--the DE shavette was a cheap way to even see if I wanted anything to do with this straight-edge stuff. Answer is yes. And if I can manage with the Parker SRB, I feel like I ought to be able to handle an Artists Club style. Thus, the Feather SS.
--I figure the Feather SS will take any questions about equipment off the table so that any problems I have will be on the handle end (me). And, if I can succeed with the Feather, most reviews and commenters seem to suggest that a straight razor will be more forgiving (though different, admittedly). I should be able to have better experiences with a straight razor faster this way, once I get there.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement about my choice! I had a hard time picking between kamisori and folding. In the end, the simpler design won out. I think the rubberized handle and rounded grip could be good for starters. That said, the more days I use my Parker, the less I have to think about the folding handle... Hurry up and get here, Feather SS!

I have a feeling I'll end up trying a straight razor eventually, and that when I do, I'll be able to wield it with more confidence. Here was my thinking on the pathway:
--the DE shavette was a cheap way to even see if I wanted anything to do with this straight-edge stuff. Answer is yes. And if I can manage with the Parker SRB, I feel like I ought to be able to handle an Artists Club style. Thus, the Feather SS.
--I figure the Feather SS will take any questions about equipment off the table so that any problems I have will be on the handle end (me). And, if I can succeed with the Feather, most reviews and commenters seem to suggest that a straight razor will be more forgiving (though different, admittedly). I should be able to have better experiences with a straight razor faster this way, once I get there.
Ultimately it’s about the journey, your comfort, curiosity and doing what you like. I’ve not tried a true kamisori but there’s something appealing about it, perhaps one day. I was also thinking of re visiting one of my preferred vintage DE razors, because it’s a great tool that provides a fine shave. I’m content SR shaving currently, enjoying some of the learning, challenges and rewards that come with that. Perhaps you can share your experiences with the Feather SS once you give it a test drive. Have fun!

After a few months of DE wetshaving, I think I got my first dud blade today. Everything the same as before, except a new Voskhod blade in my R41. These blades have worked well for me before. The shave took a really long time and I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. The ATG pass was really slow and tough going, with too much tugging. I was so annoyed! I gave up a little earlier than usual, in the touchup pass. At the end, I didn't have much alum sting, which surprised me. Usually if I don't have a good shave, the alum tells me all about it. Then it hit me--this was probably just a bad/dull blade. I wonder if others care to verify this same experience being chalked up to a bad blade? (I mean, it can't be the user end of razor, right?) 😁

Ultimately it’s about the journey, your comfort, curiosity and doing what you like. I’ve not tried a true kamisori but there’s something appealing about it, perhaps one day. I was also thinking of re visiting one of my preferred vintage DE razors, because it’s a great tool that provides a fine shave. I’m content SR shaving currently, enjoying some of the learning, challenges and rewards that come with that. Perhaps you can share your experiences with the Feather SS once you give it a test drive. Have fun!

It finally arrived last night, so this morning was the maiden voyage. I was really gentle with it, and did a WTG pass on the cheeks and part of the upper lip only. I probably wasn't finding the angle, and maybe being overly timid, because I didn't take off much stubble. But I also didn't cut myself! My R41 was ready to pick up the rest of the shave.

First impression: this is an interesting device--I hope I get the hang of it because it sure is different. The razor wants to roll more than I'd like it to, because there aren't scales to grip against that rotational force. At first I think this will be a bit awkward, but hopefully later on, it will be part of the fun of using it. Another thing I noticed is that unlike the Parker shavette, since the edge of the SS is rolled and I'm using a ProGuard blade, it's not quite as immediately obvious where the blade is in relation to my skin. I look forward to overcoming that "mystery"... I'm sure it will pay off with a much gentler and more comfortable shave.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Hey, you did it! Awesome! I think it’s wise to set your own pace, shave what you want and do a DE cleanup. It’s supposed to be enjoyable. I’ve only ever used the Proguard blade, I like them. Good luck as you continue to progress with your Kamisori.

Great job nicked78!
I'm curious you said you put down the goo 🤭 did you start with a shaving cream or with shaving soap?

Great job nicked78!
I'm curious you said you put down the goo 🤭 did you start with a shaving cream or with shaving soap?
I'm pretty sure I started with Proraso Green shaving cream. I figured a cream would be easier to work with than a soap, and that it would be more like the canned goo I was already used to. It was a good entry point for me!

Top Bottom