What's new

New Member - Micro Touch One

Hi guys! I'm here because my lovely daughters bought me the Micro Touch 1 for Christmas. I'm a newbie when it comes to safety razors but have since learned a lot from perusing this awesome forum. After initially butchering my head and face from trying to use this like my cartridge razor, I decided I would see if this thing was junk or if it could actually do what it was intended to do. I purchased some Williams soap and cheap brush and got a pretty good shave on my face (not brave enough to try my head again though :scared:).

After (if?) I get good with this one I may move up to some of the other models but want to practice with this one a bit first.

As far as the Micro Touch 1 is concerned, is this even a decent model to learn on?

Thanks and God Bless,
Disciple

Welcome to B&B. I'm not sure what the Micro Touch 1 is so others will need to weigh in on that. I do know that you can learn everything you want to know about shaving here at B&B, and then some.

Welcome to B&B! For the vast majority of us we are of the "old school" double edge (think 1900-1960 razors), old single edge(Schick injectors) and straight shaver types. So unfortunately I couldn't tell you about the micro one. I hope you get an answer either way. Have a great New Year and again, welcome.

Personally, I'd get an old pre-war Gillette Tech (triangular slots) for a bit more, some Cella/Arko/RazoRock/Proraso, and go from there. The Micro One Touches from what I've read aren't bad, but they certainly aren't one of my recommendations.

Having said that, it's mostly about technique. I'd watch Mantic's video on YouTube, read the stickies here, and if you like I wrote a short guide (link in my signature).

Welcome!

Welcome. I hope you are one of many newcomers introduced because of the Micro Touch 1.

It's good enough of a razor to get someone started. If you keep at it, you will upgrade, that is certain. It will be fine razor to visit come Christmastime each year to recall your root.

Do not be discouraged that at first the shaves aren't as close. Take it slowly at first. Later on, as your technique improves you will be able to get a great shave with great skin calmness and actually look forward to your upcoming shaves.

Thanks guys. I think ill order a few blades and some different soaps for this one and go from there.

Ill check the bay for some cheap/decent Gillettes and go from there.

God Bless,
Disciple

Thanks guys. I think ill order a few blades and some different soaps for this one and go from there.

Ill check the bay for some cheap/decent Gillettes and go from there.

God Bless,
Disciple

Welcome to B&B Disciple !!! Ask as many questions as you need, we're here to help. Gerry's sample shop is a good source for samples and he even has a Newbie kit that includes a Gillette Razor if you're so inclined.

Happy shaving

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-Floid-Black-amp-Suave-Creed-Aventus-amp-GIT

Hi guys! I'm here because my lovely daughters bought me the Micro Touch 1 for Christmas. I'm a newbie when it comes to safety razors but have since learned a lot from perusing this awesome forum. After initially butchering my head and face from trying to use this like my cartridge razor, I decided I would see if this thing was junk or if it could actually do what it was intended to do. I purchased some Williams soap and cheap brush and got a pretty good shave on my face (not brave enough to try my head again though :scared:).

After (if?) I get good with this one I may move up to some of the other models but want to practice with this one a bit first.

As far as the Micro Touch 1 is concerned, is this even a decent model to learn on?

Thanks and God Bless,
Disciple
You have the best daughters in the world for getting you such a great Christmas present. Try to upgrade brushes too, they make a vast improvement on shave product application by exfoliating your face.
This Traditional wet shaving takes practice, so you will be good at it with practice. Try to get good razors like old Gillette and better modern razors. The Micro Touch razors are a lower end razor and not too good to practice as a newbie. I would take Rock-miners recommendation and get a Gary Newbie kit that cost just $33 bucks and has quality shave gear.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-Floid-Black-amp-Suave-Creed-Aventus-amp-GIT

NEW GUYS - Check This Out!

attachment.php

Vintage Test Drive Razor Starter Kits:

$33.00 Shipped CONUS - please PM for International Shipping Quote.

Contents of the Starter Kit:

Razor - 1 User Grade (or better) Vintage Gillette Safety Razor. The razor will be cleaned, sanitized and ready to shave when you get it. User grade razors may not be collectors items in the looks department but are guaranteed to be shave ready with no issues.

Blades - 10 DE Blades (brands will vary). The blades will be well known brands so you can easily buy more if you like them.

Brush - 1 Brand New Omega Boar Brush (model will vary but it will be Omega brand). These are brand new brushes from one of the top boar brush makers.

Shave Soap - 1 Arko Shaving Soap Stick or 1oz of Cella Shaving Soap (your choice). If you don't indicate your choice, I will gladly pick for you. Arko may just be one of the easiest shaving soaps to lather on the market today. It's low priced and soft enough to mold into the mug or container of your choice if you don't want to use it as a soap stick. Cella Shaving soap is the classic Italian soap to which you can compare any other soap on the market and it holds it's own. Cella is highly recommended for anyone who doesn't think they will like the industrial citronella scent of the Arko soap.

Aftershave - 1/2oz Aftershave Splash (brands will vary). I will select 2 splashes 1/4oz each based on current available stock. There are some negative associations with alcohol based splashes but I would like to ask you to not believe the hype...yet. An alcohol based splash may be just what you need to revive and heal your sensitive or oily skin and you won't know until you try.

Extra Benefit - I wanted to give every new guy a little extra reason to come back and do business with me again so I will also include 1 Trade Certificate entitling you to return the razor at any time in the same usable condition and in return I will send you a different model Vintage Gillette razor or $10.00 worth of samples (your choice). We would each pay our own shipping and the original certificate must be returned with the razor. All I ask is that you email or PM me before mailing your razor so I can keep track of everything.

Welcome aboard,all the info you need is here...The Chinese Micro is a mediocre razor,but the Dorcos are even worse.Lots of really great blades out there.A nice vintage Gillette can be had for $20,and the Edwin Jagger razors are very nice and reasonable in cost.Experimentation is essential,everyones face and whiskers are different,and that is the fun part,testing out new shaving gear..Also,make sure you know how to properly prep your face,and properly work up a good lather.The angle and type of strokes you use are important as well....Take a look at some of the traditional shaving goods online store products,you'll find a treasure trove of products unavailable to most shavers before "internet sales" was born...good luck and good shaving to you !

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php/79383-Disciple1Disciple1 --

The consensus around here is that the MicroTouch-1 is a relabeled Weishi 9306. I have a Weishi I picked up 2 or 3 years ago. It is a pretty good razor, forgiving, gives a good shave. Build quality is pretty decent, but not quite up to the standards of the late-40's through 50's Gillettes. The Weishi is a knock-off of the 50's Gillette SuperSpeed, although the finish and embellishment is different from the SS.

The MT-1 should give satisfactory results and would be an excellent razor for a new wet shaver. Down the road you may choose to expand to additional razors. Right now, I'd suggest getting a decent brush, a better soap/creme and some really excellent blades. The Dorco blades supplied with the MT-1 are a 'second tier' product. This doesn't have to be done immediately, but is something you should look into in the near term.

Read through the different forums here at B&B, you can get a decent idea of where you want to go with this.

Give your daughters a hug, and your thanks for being so thoughtful.

Welcome to B&B. A lifetime of great shaves awaits.

-- John Gehman

Took some advice and got a Gillette 1961 G-2 Flaretip for $17.50 off of eBay. Seemed comparably priced to other models. I'm pretty pleased with my first shave with it. Thanks for the advice guys!

$fa4cb328d365316703633ca66244f28f.jpg
Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

Welcome to the DE club. I'm new here as well so I'm eager to hear your experiences. So far I have enjoyed wet shaving and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked.

Top Bottom