What's new

New member Intro and a few questions

Hello folks,

After 30 years of shaving with Gillette cartridge razors and gel soap, I recently had the thought of trying a more traditional shaving soap to reduce waste and to use a Penhaligon's Pure Badger brush that belonged to my stepfather's. He brought that brush along with a large bowl of Floris 89 shaving soap in the 1980s when visiting London. I still remember how incredible that #89 soap smelled.

Through YouTube, I found many good videos that introduced me to wet shaving, the DE razors and wet shaving products out there. I have decided to embark in this new hobby and am currently using Proraso red pre-shave, TOBS Sandalwood and Eton shaving cream, and Nivea Aftershave Balm.

I just had my 6th DE shave this morning and am loving the experience. After spending years holding cheap plastic handles, i am now partial to all stainless construction razors. My first purchase was the RazoRock Game Changer .84P (since I have thick beard). My first shave with that razor using Astra green blades was BBS, and no cuts, but my face was stinging for a day as I found the razor aggressive and I probably chafed my skin trying to shave too close.

For my fourth DE shave, I bought the Executive Shaving Outlaw MILD razor and used Wilkinson blades but this razor gave me lots of cuts and I decided to temporarily retire this one as well until I build a little more experience (and with different blades).

Next I purchased the Feather ASD2 razor am am very glad I did it! Two shaves into it, and no uncomfortable stinging or cuts so far. It seems to me that it is much harder to nick yourself with this razor and it still gives you BBS shave with sharp razors (I'm using Wilkinson blades at the moment).

I will stick to the Feather ASD2 razor for a while now but do have a question regarding the RazoRock Game Changer razor. I also really liked the feel of this razor while shaving and plan to use it for longer growth beard. My question is if a .64 plate for this razor is similar to the Executive Shaving Outlaw Mild razor or the Feather ASD2?

i am tempted to buy the Rex Ambassador, except it's price was just raised to $295 as of yesterday! a question to the forum: how mild is a Rex Envoy or Aamnassador razor (in its mildest setting) when compared to the Feather ASD2?

thanks in advance!

Cheers,
FEATHERBBS

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Welcome! Love reading of your successes.

To answer your question, I prefer mild razors. I own the Feather ASD2 and the Ambassador. The Feather is high quality, and mild, but I tend to cut myself with it. The Ambassador on the 2.5 setting is smooth and seldom bites... as mild as my Rockwell 6S. I also have a Razorock Game Changer .64.

You are just getting started and you've got some great razors already. I'd suggest you just need to practice for awhile and you will see progress in comfort and closeness without having to buy a lot of new things. Shaving with a DE is different than cartridge razors. It will be easier to learn if you keep things fairly constant for at least a month or so. The ASD2 is very nice and works well with Feather blades. If you are patient, you will probably find it will do what you want as your skills improve.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I'd second what was already mentioned and focus on consistency of equipment to improve your technique. I started with an AS-D2 as well, and once dialed in, with a feather blade, and a consistent angle, I got great results. When your form and technique improves then try to experiment with different razors. By then you'll probably have a better idea of what you're looking for too.👍

Hello folks,

After 30 years of shaving with Gillette cartridge razors and gel soap, I recently had the thought of trying a more traditional shaving soap to reduce waste and to use a Penhaligon's Pure Badger brush that belonged to my stepfather's. He brought that brush along with a large bowl of Floris 89 shaving soap in the 1980s when visiting London. I still remember how incredible that #89 soap smelled.

Through YouTube, I found many good videos that introduced me to wet shaving, the DE razors and wet shaving products out there. I have decided to embark in this new hobby and am currently using Proraso red pre-shave, TOBS Sandalwood and Eton shaving cream, and Nivea Aftershave Balm.

I just had my 6th DE shave this morning and am loving the experience. After spending years holding cheap plastic handles, i am now partial to all stainless construction razors. My first purchase was the RazoRock Game Changer .84P (since I have thick beard). My first shave with that razor using Astra green blades was BBS, and no cuts, but my face was stinging for a day as I found the razor aggressive and I probably chafed my skin trying to shave too close.

For my fourth DE shave, I bought the Executive Shaving Outlaw MILD razor and used Wilkinson blades but this razor gave me lots of cuts and I decided to temporarily retire this one as well until I build a little more experience (and with different blades).

Next I purchased the Feather ASD2 razor am am very glad I did it! Two shaves into it, and no uncomfortable stinging or cuts so far. It seems to me that it is much harder to nick yourself with this razor and it still gives you BBS shave with sharp razors (I'm using Wilkinson blades at the moment).

I will stick to the Feather ASD2 razor for a while now but do have a question regarding the RazoRock Game Changer razor. I also really liked the feel of this razor while shaving and plan to use it for longer growth beard. My question is if a .64 plate for this razor is similar to the Executive Shaving Outlaw Mild razor or the Feather ASD2?

i am tempted to buy the Rex Ambassador, except it's price was just raised to $295 as of yesterday! a question to the forum: how mild is a Rex Envoy or Aamnassador razor (in its mildest setting) when compared to the Feather ASD2?

thanks in advance!

Cheers,
FEATHERBBS
LOVE my Feather, but my Envoy is a brutal shaver and cuts me up. Been DE shaving for 30 years...never had an experience like the Envoy. I keep trying it with the same results until just the other day, when I got a smooth shave, but still a couple of nicks.

Welcome to B&B.
My first purchase was the RazoRock Game Changer .84P (since I have thick beard). My first shave with that razor using Astra green blades was BBS, and no cuts, but my face was stinging for a day as I found the razor aggressive and I probably chafed my skin trying to shave too close.

i am tempted to buy the Rex Ambassador...
I think you need to work on your technique before buying any more razors; cuts and razor burn are indicative of poor technique. The Feather AS-D2 has good reviews by many and seems ideal for you; it will probably take down three days stubble with ease. The Outlaw and GameChanger can be used but you need to lighten that pressure when using them. Review your position in six months before buying another razor.
You will find the Shave Wiki very helpful; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade
I would do some research on the Rex Ambassador as I have seen comments it is aggressive even on the lowest setting.

Last edited:
One tip, don't get rid of the GC .84-P. In my opinion one of the best DE razors, certainly for the price. Very smooth shaver with great results! My current favorite.

And welcome and enjoy the ride!

First, congratulations on your progress!

IMO, the biggest thing that will change is your technique. I suggest that you stick with one razor for awhile (I suggest the AS/D2) and keep everything else. Revisit your other options once your technique is reasonably solid. Try a variety of blades in each razor. Then see where you are. Just my $0.02!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great write-up, and I am in the "stick to what you got" camp for a while....for the well-articulated reasons given by my fellow shavers above.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Once you are dialed in on the AS-D2, if you decide you want something that can handle a slightly wider range of angles and be efficient using a less sharp blade than a Feather, I would suggest you consider an Above the Tie Windsor. Using blades like Gillette Silver Blues, Astra Greens, and Personna Israelis it yields shaves every bit as mild and delightful as the Feather when using the mild plate and an excellent and smooth shave when fitted with the regular plate. Above the Tie has replaced the mild plate and the regular plate with the mild/regular plate, splitting the miniscule difference. You ought to like the new plate using the types of blades described above.

I apologize for not responding to your question and going off on a tangent. Whatever you do, happy shaving!

Hello folks,

thanks in advance!

Cheers,
FEATHERBBS
Welcome Aboard! Though relatively new here myself, I agree technique trumps tools almost every time. And you’ve already chosen top notch tools! I hope you enjoy the experimentation and learning curve as much as I continue to do so!

Great Shaves to You!

Curly

Welcome to the B&B!

I can't offer any better advice than what has already been offered, and that would be to stick with what you have for awhile. An improvement in technique might be all you need.
However you did mention a Rex Envoy. Some guys hate it. It was the first razor l bought after joining the forum, and I love it. It's my go to razor, and I've used it with a whole range of blades from Derby Extras, to Feathers with nary a nick to speak of. :hand:

Top Bottom