What's new

New member from Pennsylvania

Greetings all,

Name is Robert, from Pennsylvania (thus the handle.) I'm still relatively new to wet shaving. I started with a Merkur 34c and Gillette 7 O'Clock Green blades (the Russian ones) and Proraso white shave soap just two weeks ago. I'm absolutely loving it but waiting on some new blades--I just don't think the Greens are doing it for my coarse facial hair (I didn't even try the Merkur blade that came with the razor.)

I'm trying to figure out if what I need is a sharper blade or a more aggressive razor. Don't really want to mess with something more aggressive than the 34c until I have my technique down better, however.

Oh, and one huge reason I got into this--I absolutely love different fragrances and most aftershaves are way cheaper than the corresponding colognes. It's sort of an aromatherapy thing for me, to splash on a little something after a shave, so I have a LOT of different aftershave products and am always looking for new splashes and scents.

Happy Shaving!
~Robert

Greetings all,

Name is Robert, from Pennsylvania (thus the handle.) I'm still relatively new to wet shaving. I started with a Merkur 34c and Gillette 7 O'Clock Green blades (the Russian ones) and Proraso white shave soap just two weeks ago. I'm absolutely loving it but waiting on some new blades--I just don't think the Greens are doing it for my coarse facial hair (I didn't even try the Merkur blade that came with the razor.)

I'm trying to figure out if what I need is a sharper blade or a more aggressive razor. Don't really want to mess with something more aggressive than the 34c until I have my technique down better, however.

Oh, and one huge reason I got into this--I absolutely love different fragrances and most aftershaves are way cheaper than the corresponding colognes. It's sort of an aromatherapy thing for me, to splash on a little something after a shave, so I have a LOT of different aftershave products and am always looking for new splashes and scents.

Happy Shaving!
~Robert
Welcome! I would say stick with your current equipment setup for at least another two weeks before changing up blades, and see if your results improve. You are already ahead of the game by being wise enough not to use that Merkur blade that came with the razor!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Welcome, Robert. Nice to see another Pennsylvanian (I am in Pittsburgh).

I would echo the suggestions to keep working on technique before changing too many variables. That said, avoid the Merkur blades — they’ll make you bleed! Once your technique is sound, I recommend GSB or Astra SP. From there, I suspect you might be Feather-bound.

Enjoy your journey, and pack enough gear to navigate the many rabbit holes you’ll encounter!

A little over a month since I switched to wet shaving. I decided to buy some Gillette Nacet blades, but I don't think they're appreciably different from the 7 O'Clock's and I'll be ordering some Feather blades soon. I have my technique down except for the chin--it's always a ton of touch-ups. I really do have thick and course whiskers.

I also ordered a Yintal Bronze butterfly razor on a whim because it was so cheap on Amazon. May post an entire thread on that one because I can't find much about the Yintal brand on the forums. The few reviews I was able to find seem to speak to a heavy duty, moderately aggressive razor so we'll see how it stacks up against my Merkur 34c. I love my Merkur.

I've also developed a deep addiction to Stirling products. A relative initially sent me a sample puck and I wound up ordering a few more, plus one of their inexpensive synthetic brushes. I have deep ties to Arkansas so I know I'll be ordering from them again.

Top Bottom