What's new

New member checking in

Hello all.

I am a new member here, after lurking for years. I’ve been wet shaving for about 15 years, at a somewhat beginner level. Lately I have been going further down the rabbit hole and researching razor purchases, along with brushes and good soaps. I welcome any helpful suggestions that folks can offer.

Jim

Hello all.

I am a new member here, after lurking for years. I’ve been wet shaving for about 15 years, at a somewhat beginner level. Lately I have been going further down the rabbit hole and researching razor purchases, along with brushes and good soaps. I welcome any helpful suggestions that folks can offer.

Jim
Welcome to B&B Jim. It’s nice you finally pulled the trigger and joined the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here and it enhances your wet shaving experience. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions as most here are very willing to help with answering questions and offer opinions.
There is aways room for more in the rabbit hole!

Welcome to B&B. Save yourself some money in the long run and get either Martin de Candre or Saponificio Varesino soap right away. They both last a long time and if you are going to try US artisan soaps, it is good to have a solid foundation to come back to. Sometimes you may get a soap you don't like while trying to save money, only to spend more having to try others.

Sorry, that wasn't well considered. What I mean is get a European hard soap first, there are others than I mentioned. Like Haslinger.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Welcome! May I suggest my top flight items that shouldn’t break the bank: Rockwell 6S razor, Cella red soap, a Zenith or Semogue boar brush, and Pre de Provence balm. These are all staples in my den, and likely what I will use tomorrow.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hello all.

Jim
Welcome to B&B.

@Messygoon assumes that you shave with "safety" razors. I and many other on B&B shave with straight razors. What are you currently shaving with?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Vintage (and some new) DE and SE razors. Have never tried straight razors.
It is best you either start SR shaving soon or never start. Once you get into SR shaving, you will soon be forever kicking yourself for not starting sooner.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That is a strong endorsement, I will have to think about trying SR.
Not just my endorsement, most regular SR shavers here feel the same. Before (if) you start SR shaving, make sure that you are prepared for the initial time commitment to learn the gentlemanly art.

When ready, the Straight Razor forum on B&B will guide you.

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to say hello. I have only been wet shaving for about six months so I don't think there are any tips I have that you don't already know.

Top Bottom