What's new

New member checking in

Hello all. New member here, I want to introduce myself and I’m looking for some feedback/advise on my wet shaving journey.

First a little about myself. I’m in my early 30’s located in Nova Scotia. I started shaving with cartridges in my teens and shortly after began experiencing irritation and ingrowns. I thought “there must be a better way”. After some reading on this forum and mantic59 videos I decide to try DE shaving. I got a 3 piece set consisting of a 34c, a silvertip brush, and a stand and I never looked back.I settled into a routine and haven’t made any real changes since. Always got a pretty good but not always perfect shave, occasionally some minor irritation around the Adam’s apple and lower neck if I’m not careful with feather blades.

I recently rediscovered the interest in wet shaving that I had in the beginning and I’m looking to improve my experience and add some new editions to my den. So I decided to make an account here and join the discussion.

I want to expand my horizons beyond the merkur 34c I’ve been using close to 15 years and I appreciate any feedback I can get. I’m looking for a really top quality razor to keep for life. I want something smooth shaving that won’t cause me irritation, efficient enough to handle a few days stubble, and it should be a pleasure not only to use but also to behold. I’d really like to keep the budget no higher then $250CAD shipping and taxes in (about $200USD) Some that I have been considering;
- Razorock GC or BBS (outstanding value and I like that it’s Canadian made, heard mostly good things about these)
- Karve CB (also Canadian, don’t think I’ve ever read a negative review about this one. Torn between steel or brass, I don’t have any experience with uncoated brass)
-Rex Envoy (ambassador is awesome but a bit more $ then I’d like to spend right now, perhaps in the future. I also like the simplicity of Envoy)
-Blackland Blackbird (this one is pushing the budget but I think it’s so damn cool)

Those are my top picks so far. Let me know what you think. Which of these would you pick? Or if not one of these, I’m open to other suggestions. Any input is appreciated. I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of owning every razor out there. I’m looking to buy one for now and the next addition probably won’t be anytime soon.

Welcome to B&B, that sounds like a pretty good first setup!

Before the pile in happens, check out a thread by @Kennyg2019 about mildest razors. He covers the high end options and provides some good justification for purchasing some of them.

Edit, trying to type quickly: The Blackbird is currently only available in Ti and it is $$$. I too wanted one in Stainless, but after a lot of consideration I went with a Colonial General. I know the Vector is better, but my General is smoother. I am getting a Timeless soon because none of my DE razors do what my General does.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Welcome from Missouri, where most cheer exclusively for Canadian teams when the Blues get eliminated.

Great list! As a fan of mild lifetime razors, I put my Karve brass first, Razorock GC second. Don’t have the others, but understand the Envoy is more aggressive. Have a Rockwell 6S that’s outstanding, but alas, not Canadian. Regarding brass vs stainless, I prefer the Karve brass. It seems more comfortable, it’s less expensive, and seems bulletproof. But your impressions may differ.

Glad to make the acquaintance, and all the best in your journey!

2FBB139D-7059-4B8D-83F8-8AE486F77FAD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A1BC7A8-D0D8-4BF3-A2F1-9FFDCF0B5260.jpeg
    8A1BC7A8-D0D8-4BF3-A2F1-9FFDCF0B5260.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to B&B, that sounds like a pretty good first setup!

Before the pile in happens, check out a thread by @Kennyg2019 about mildest razors. He covers the high end options and provides some good justification for purchasing some of them.

Edit, trying to type quickly: The Blackbird is currently only available in Ti and it is $$$. I too wanted one in Stainless, but after a lot of consideration I went with a Colonial General. I know the Vector is better, but my General is smoother. I am getting a Timeless soon because none of my DE razors do what my General does.
I will look for that thread. Never really considered single edge razors. Timeless is beautiful but $$$$, maybe one day…

Welcome from Missouri, where most cheer exclusively for Canadian teams when the Blues get eliminated.

Great list! As a fan of mild lifetime razors, I put my Karve brass first, Razorock GC second. Don’t have the others, but understand the Envoy is more aggressive. Have a Rockwell 6S that’s outstanding, but alas, not Canadian. Regarding brass vs stainless, I prefer the Karve brass. It seems more comfortable, it’s less expensive, and seems bulletproof. But your impressions may differ.

Glad to make the acquaintance, and all the best in your journey!

View attachment 1361965
I’m really interested in the brass Karve and it’s the one I’m leaning towards at the moment. I’m only just starting to learn about patina and brass care. I have heard great things about Rockwell 6s but honestly I just don’t like the look of it and that’s also important to me. I’d also prefer something CNC machined. The fact that it’s made in USA not Canada doesn’t bother me.

I've a similar story. I bought my 34c in 2003-4 and have happily used it since. Once I discovered this place, I started thinking about an upgrade (not that it is really necessary, the 34c is a fine razor and will outlast me). I settled on vintage: specifically, a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'd seriously recommend considering looking at either one of those or a Fat boy as an upgrade. Great razors that can be picked up in good to very good condition for the same, or less, than what you will pay for a modern razor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience with us.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've a similar story. I bought my 34c in 2003-4 and have happily used it since. Once I discovered this place, I started thinking about an upgrade (not that it is really necessary, the 34c is a fine razor and will outlast me). I settled on vintage: specifically, a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'd seriously recommend considering looking at either one of those or a Fat boy as an upgrade. Great razors that can be picked up in good to very good condition for the same, or less, than what you will pay for a modern razor.
I would only add: look also into a Gillette Tech, or a New Long Comb or Short Comb...

Welcome from another Canuck over on the westcoast.

You say you have the Merkur 34C and want to upgrade. What do you like about it? Blade-feel and efficiency about right, want more or less of either? What have you tried?

The Blackbird is a great razor, it'll have more blade-feel and efficiency than the 34C. Timeless are great smooth razors that you might be able to buy used for $250 CAD, but will likely feel heavier and slightly bulkier but a good shaver. I also really like Charcoal Goods, which you might be able to find used for $250 CAD.

A Karve would be a good option to explore lots of plate options.

Might as well get a new brush or two if you're getting a new razor :)

Welcome from another Canuck over on the westcoast.

You say you have the Merkur 34C and want to upgrade. What do you like about it? Blade-feel and efficiency about right, want more or less of either? What have you tried?

The Blackbird is a great razor, it'll have more blade-feel and efficiency than the 34C. Timeless are great smooth razors that you might be able to buy used for $250 CAD, but will likely feel heavier and slightly bulkier but a good shaver. I also really like Charcoal Goods, which you might be able to find used for $250 CAD.

A Karve would be a good option to explore lots of plate options.

Might as well get a new brush or two if you're getting a new razor :)
Merkur 34c is the only DE I’ve used so I can’t really compare it to anything. It gives a good shave overall but I want to treat myself to something more special. Efficiency is about right but I do wish for something a little smoother as I still get some irritation on the trouble spots if I’m not careful. Happens more with feather blades. Astra sp feels much smoother but doesn’t shave as close. I don’t mind something with more heft, I expect that from a solid stainless or brass razor. I don’t think I need more blade feel though. I’ll probably steer clear of the blackbird in that case.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hello and welcome
My suggestion would be karve. I have a brass one and I don’t care for patina but there is not a lot of maintenance required. I dry it throughly after each use. I think I used polish maybe twice in it. The RR lupo would be my second recommendation.

Welcome to B&B.
I got a 3 piece set consisting of a 34c, a silvertip brush, and a stand and I never looked back.
That was a great start and the Merkur 34C has been made for many decades; it is hard to beat.
I’m looking for a really top quality razor to keep for life. I want something smooth shaving that won’t cause me irritation, efficient enough to handle a few days stubble, and it should be a pleasure not only to use but also to behold. I’d really like to keep the budget no higher then $250CAD shipping and taxes in (about $200USD)
Ant razor will cause irritation if used incorrectly. The irritation is not the razor but perhaps you have not found the blades that suit you best. GSB or 7 O'Clock SharpEdge from the PPI stable are worth trying.
For many days growth of stubble the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 must be worthy of consideration or the Muhle Rocca; both razors are very similar in performance from what I hear.

Hello and welcome
My suggestion would be karve. I have a brass one and I don’t care for patina but there is not a lot of maintenance required. I dry it throughly after each use. I think I used polish maybe twice in it. The RR lupo would be my second recommendation.
Thanks for sharing. I’m basically decided on the brass Karve ATM unless something causes me to change my mind before I pull the trigger. What baseplate do you recommend?

Top Bottom