What's new

New Member and Upgrade Question

Just checking in from Fort Worth, Texas, and I have a "should I upgrade" question. I have two Remington XLR-series rechargeable Microscreen foil shavers from the 1980s - an XLR-2500 and an XLR-3000. They both work great and still hold a charge, and I have a good supply of replacement foils and blades for them.

Are the newest electric shavers enough of an improvement to warrant upgrading? I've read good things about the Braun Series 9 and the Panasonic Arc 6, but they're both pretty pricey if the improvements are likely to just be incremental.

Thanks!

Welcome.
Whats a foil?
I dont think many people here can help as this is a wet shaving forum. That means anything except electric. Now if you want to learn to use a DE, SE, Straight Razor, vintage or new we will be happy to help you to learn.

I think the last time a real electric razor touched my face was in the early 80s.
Not counting the Gillette DE with the battery powered vibrating head. Lol.

Still, stick around. Someone might have an answer for you.

I got an electric razor for X-mas when I was 16. I think it was a Braun. It worked great until I had enough facial hair to grow a beard, but then I had to move on to cartridge razors. In my 30's I switched to DE safety razors and I don't plan on changing. Comfortable, classy, and cost efficient.
What was the question?

If what you have is still working well for you and you have replacement blades and foils, I'd say you're all set!

We have some members here that use electric shavers and can provide more input. Also I am sure you have seen the shavercheck web site that provides some good reviews of electrics that seem fairly unbiased.

Hey, yeah, the upgrade will be noticeably better than what you currently have @ScottRiqui.
I have Braun Series 6 and 7. Used a 5 for a while too. Not much difference between the 6 and 7 really. Both are great. Currently using my Braun Series 7 until the face calms down a bit.

Also have a Phillips that @Scaramouche is fond of. Phillips doesn't work as well with my face. Foils for me. I can't speak to the Arc but they are popular.

Your current setup probably shaves corded, meaning plugged in? Many of the newer razors will not, instead offering a quick charge option should the razor battery drain. But unlikely unless you travel much in which case a travel lock might be a key feature for you. Almost all new razors that I know of will quick charge for at least a single shave.

Having said that if you are happy with the current setup, no reason to change. Unless you just want a new shaver, which we will all say yes. We're good at enabling. :).

Welcome! To the best shaving forum on the Internet! :biggrin: The short answer is, if you like your Remingtons you're good to go. They're excellent razors, and their Heritage Series (9100) is an homage to the exact razors you have, and a testament to their long popularity:

proxy.php

That said, in spite of what you have heard on the Internet you can indeed shave wet with an electric razor, and the newer Heritage is a wet/dry razor. I shave almost exclusively wet with an electric now, either as a stand-alone razor or to finish up a DE shave, with the exact same software I use for a DE shave - soap, brush and scuttle. I find it gives me a closer, smoother, more comfortable electric shave. That's just me and my face/beard however, and yours is, well, yours. If you were interested in expanding your horizons and trying that, a new razor would be in order because your razors are exclusively dry. The razors you mention - the Braun S9 and Panny Arc 6, are both excellent razors as well, and also wet/dry. And they might - or might not - give you a better shave than your Remingtons. Both are foil razors, so a similar type of shave that you're accustomed to, but both operate essentially the same way as your vintage foils, so you may not see an order of magnitude improvement, although lighter weight, faster motors, different ergonomics might be a step up. I use both razors, and both provide an excellent shave - for me. There are also, as mentioned, a whole crop of excellent rotary razors, Philips being the prominent manufacturer, but a rotary provides a very different experience with different technique.

Your current setup is pretty good, and you like it. If you wanted to step out and try wet shaving any of the razors mentioned would be excellent choices (and you can still shave dry with them). And when your current favorites give up the ghost eventually (you've had remarkable service from them), the shavers mentioned would be worthy replacements. Manufacturers previously offered a generous trial period for their razors, but today it's worth checking in advance if you just wanted a trial run. As the old sailor said, "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice," and the conventional B&B advice would be to get a new razor 😜, but you certainly don't need one with your current setup (most of us have at least two perfectly good razors, which is already redundant, but many of us have enough razors to supply the classic Greek, Persian and Roman armies and have a few centuries of use left over). Keep us posted on your progress!

Will add that Remington Shavers are no longer made in the USA. Remington filed for bankruptcy during the pandemic. A holding company purchased them.

The Heritage series are made in China.

May or may not matter to you.

Welcome aboard, I think as others have said if it works you are all set. Now for the hobby end of it it’s a different story and that’s how it starts, good luck enjoy

Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom