What's new

New Mach 3 commercial

I saw a new commercial for the Mach 3 last night. It's being touted as lasting twice as long as disposables because of "high definition blades" which have "four coatings to improve durability". So, has Gillette actually changed the blades in the Mach3 or have they just invented a some new meaningless jargon?

I saw this last night as well, and was confused. I don't ever recall Gilette advertising a razor that was not the newest offering. This may be in response to folks complaining about the outrageous cartridge prices.

I also saw it, looked a little ridiculous to me... I almost want to take a M3 and a DE, shave half of my face with each one for a week and see if the M3 actually even holds up any better.

I also saw it, looked a little ridiculous to me... I almost want to take a M3 and a DE, shave half of my face with each one for a week and see if the M3 actually even holds up any better.

that way at least you'd have a halfway good shave

I saw a print ad touting something like this. I don't specifically remember the 'four coating' stuff, just the lasting longer than disposables claim.

Note - they aren't necessarily specifically talking about DE razors here. At first I just assumed as such, but now I'm thinking the total throw-away ones are the comparison.

I saw this commercial too. I have no idea if they changed the blades, but I noticed they are calling them "high definition" and promoting a quadruple coating. I thought they also had a phone number to call on screen. I think it also mentioned something about a guarantee to last twice as long...but I'm not sure what it was supposed to last twice as long as. Maybe it was a guarantee that the shave will take twice as long as it should! Frankly, whenever I see a Gillette or Schick ad, my mind just thinks about how much I love my Progress and my Proraso.

Are you talking about television? I sometimes forget that people still own these. High definition blades, lol.

Its "high definition" in that you see the blades in high definition. My slant razor appears to me each morning in crystal-clear resolution (well, not always, but the bottle of wine the night before appeared initially in high definition).

The way high def blades work is that they can shave 1080 whiskers. Old fashioned regular blades can only shave 480 whiskers.

I saw that also. First thing I thought was they are now going backwards. Then I thought about it. If there are 3 blades coated 4 times, does that make it like a 12 blade (uncoated)? Maybe they are actually going forward. Next it'll e the 5 blades coated 4 times for a total of 20!!! Progress!

Mach3® gives you a close shave in a single stroke. The 3 high definition blades give you a closer shave than the disposable*, while the 4 strengthening layers help blades last longer* than a disposable**. Each blade is mounted on spring fingers that adjust to different levels of shaving pressure and skin variations. Get the closeness you want in every shave with Mach3®.

*Mach3® razors vs. Gillette® CustomPlus® disposable
**vs. Gillette® 2 bladed disposables, comparing average number of shaves reported by consumers in a 2010 national survey.

does anybody else have a weird feeling that theyre going to discontinue the fusions? and keep the mach 3 as their premiere razor?

I welcome that!! The Fusion is total crap anyway!! Just total overpriced garbage.

I saw this last night as well, and was confused. I don't ever recall Gilette advertising a razor that was not the newest offering.

I think Gillette must be desperate. They have resumed advertising for a product that they have not advertised for since the Fusion came out (2006). Quite odd to resume marketing a product that you haven't produced any new advertising for in six years!!

The only reasonable assumption, is that Fusion sales must be really bombing, and Gillette is super desperate!!

Last edited:
I'm confused. We have some Mach 3's.
They are disposable... So they last twice as long as themselves? Mind=Blown.
Sir Nix - Gillette has both Mach 3 disposable razors and the various Mach 3 disposable cartridge razors. I don't recall them ever advertising the disposable razors, just the carts. Which do you have?

I saw a new commercial for the Mach 3 last night. It's being touted as lasting twice as long as disposables because of "high definition blades" which have "four coatings to improve durability". So, has Gillette actually changed the blades in the Mach3 or have they just invented a some new meaningless jargon?

It might be this old thing, from http://www.pgdermatology.com/downloads/documents/Gillette_WhitePaper.pdf dated 2009:

That was originally about fusion blades, but they could presumably apply the same technology to any blade. Using DLC for hardness seems to be http://www.google.com/patents/US5142785 from 1992. In 1994 http://www.google.com/patents/US5295305 seems to cover Gillette's use of Niobium and other binding agents between coatings. I think that first patent has expired and the next will expire soon, so we might start to see other blade companies using DLC coatings. Of course, those blades might cost more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom