What's new

New life for a Fatboy

I found a Gillette Fatboy in a flea market that was in pretty nasty shape today. It was on sale for a $1.00. The doors opened easily so I purchased it and cleaned it up. A hidden jewel. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Two before pictures and three after pictures.

Last edited:
I started off with a 30-40 min. soaking in near boiling water with borax, salt and aluminum foil (not realizing that is for silver). That took a lot off the gunk off.

I then soaked it in scrubbing bubbles a bit and brushed up with a tooth brush.

Another soak with the near boiling water and borax. Brush some more.

Gave it a final brushing on the handle with a brass wire brush and Bar Keepers friend. A final polish with some Brasso on the head and I am ready to go.

It came out better than I thought it would. Not bad for a buck and some elbow grease.

I really love "salvaging" items, whether it be an old razor, beat up ammo box from WWII, or a "sporterised" Lee-Enfield Rifle. Many of my razors are ones I find in the $1-10 (U.S.) range. Sometimes you do get lucky, like with your Fatboy. I have a 1958 Gillette Executive that I bought for around $1.50 (U.S.) a couple months back. So, with you finding this razor and cleaning it up, there is one more classic razor in usable condition, and that is a good thing.
Thanks
Mark

If you really want to get that baby shining, take her apart. Very easily done since the base plate thingy on the bottom knob has notches. Just twist them...I can'te tell you which way, because I'm bad with abstracts, but you know, the way that makes it loose. Then that bottom plate comes off with a spring and the end knob. Then you can pull out the whole middle bar with the silo doors. Very very easily done. Trust me, I suck at mechanical things and I did it, so I'm sure anyone can. Then just polish all of the parts and reassemble.
Or don't and shave with it as it is. :) I'm just a little bit obsessive and there can be a lot of gunk in the razor that I like to just get rid of (with q-tips).
Nice score!

Lots of time that old soap scum forms a protective layer and you can get an amazingly bright shine from a cruddy looking razor. Other times the plating is corroded through. Yours was obviously the former!

Very nice "search and rescue" job! It's amazing how some of the razors that appear to be in the worst condition turn out to be the best looking razors. It's really a kick to see the before and after.

I shaved with it this morning. First time actually shaving with an adjustable razor. I had it set for 5 and got to work. 2 passes WTG and one XTG with a little ATG clean up afterwards. I have now experienced one of the closest shaves since I switched to a DE last year. Just Brilliant! :smile:

Real close to a BBS. I love this razor!!!

I shaved with it this morning. First time actually shaving with an adjustable razor. I had it set for 5 and got to work. 2 passes WTG and one XTG with a little ATG clean up afterwards. I have now experienced one of the closest shaves since I switched to a DE last year. Just Brilliant! :smile:

Real close to a BBS. I love this razor!!!

The Fat Boy is an American classic, right up there with vintage 50's cars with big tail fins and the pre-Las Vegas Elvis. Enjoy!

Top Bottom