What's new

New Lathering Video

Mark, as always your videos are a joy. Thank you so much for taking the time to create them and make them available to all of it. :thumbup1:

Nice video, Mark. Thanks!

Wow that is a huge ball of lather you scooped out with the stick!!

I've been using maybe 1/3 of that. I'm using Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar and still getting big mounds of lather but maybe I'm missing out on something. Tomorrow I'll try using a lot more and see what happens.

Joe

I think you mainly will get a lot more lather. :)

nice video Mark :thumbup:
I'll work my lather longer tomorrow and see if I feel a difference, think I've over time subconsciously shortened the time I swirl :huh:

That was another great video Mark. I prefer the bowl technique as well but I don't think I'm really using a large enough container, I should probably look for a nice big mug for whipping up some lather.

That was another great video Mark. I prefer the bowl technique as well but I don't think I'm really using a large enough container, I should probably look for a nice big mug for whipping up some lather.

The size makes a big difference for me. I have a Vulfix 2235 which is on the larger side. I've been experimenting with different bowl sizes. I've tried 3 1/4", 4 1/2", 5" and 6 1/2". For me the sweet spot is 5 1/2" to 6". Any smaller and I can't get the lather just right, any bigger and it gets a little to spread out and cools quickly.

Joe

I've got the same problem: at the moment I'm using a shallow bowl for fruit salad. When I whip up my lather I have to pay close attention to avoid spilling it everywhere, and it's hard to prevent water from entering when I rinse my face.

There are a variety of mugs available, but I can't find one wide enough to allow for a comfortable swirling motion :confused:

Once again seeing someone use the techniques helps immensely! Thanks again!

I could see a DVD structured from collecting the necessary (bare minimum) gear, setting it up, setting up the bathroom (mirror and lights), first shave (low settings stressing WTG with warnings not to go farther). Then the DVD could branch off on all the stuff, blades, soaps, potions, technique and how to approach them.

It would clear up the path of learning and structure the optimization of the shaving abolution.

Like a DVD there would be scene selections that could be used for future reference. There could also be printable files. I think the DVD idea would be good. I could give it as gifts for people I'm trying to convert!

The intro would be the "history of shaving" including the latest fusion. I got one for free in the mail...

I still remain boggled by all the information.

boz

Success, after a little hunting I've managed to locate a suitable lather bowl and it cost me the princely sum of one English pound. I know this is probably of little help for those of you on the west of the Atlantic but a little hunting sure goes a long way. As a bonus the mug stores my bowl of Trumpers sandalwood soap very nicely! Here's a couple of shots.

It's been almost a year since i joined B&B and lathering in the hand still works best for me. After Watching Mark's video I even got better at it. I can't wait until my next shave.

Just want to say that after a little over a year of successful wetshaving I thought I knew it all when it came to lathering. I watched this video more out of curiosity than any real desire to learn anything. And much to my delight, I found that with a few minor tweaks that I picked up from the video, my lather has gotten fuller, denser, and more lubricating.

Well done, Mark!

P.S. If anyone is wondering what specifically I changed, it was the amount of water and the amount of time I spent working in the later on the face. I used to cover my mug with a passable coat, wait a minute or two, and give it a go, but now I add a touch more water once the lather is on my face and really scrub it in for a few mins. It makes a really nice difference.

How do you face lather with creams?. Do you "dip" the brush hairs into the cream, or "swirl the brush" in the tub of cream?.

Thanks

Personally Trotters, I lightly swirl the brush in the tub of cream if I'm gonna go that route. For some reason lately, I have not been sticking to any particular routine. Sometimes I'll utilize cream and soap, sometimes just cream and sometimes only soap. Just remember, if using a good cream on a decent brush, it doesn't take much.

Thanks Chris, so why is it you need an "almond" size blob of cream to lather in a bowl, but when face lathering you need a lot less ie just dipping the tips lightly into the cream?.

Thanks again.

Thanks Chris, so why is it you need an "almond" size blob of cream to lather in a bowl, but when face lathering you need a lot less ie just dipping the tips lightly into the cream?.

Thanks again.

I think it winds up being around the same as almond size because when you just dip a brush a little into a tub you wind up getting a little on the bristles but it covers the entire surface area of the top of the brush.

The optimum soap/cream to water ratio is always going to be the same, experimenting to find that ratio and how long to work it is the hard part.

Thanks again.

Like tsenfw said, I also think it winds up being about the same amount whichever path you take. Keep in mind, I'm not just slightly "dipping" the brush into the cream. (Don't get me wrong, I don't jam it down in there or anything), but I do swirl it around a bit and it coats all the tips.

Top Bottom