What's new

New Lady shaver here!

Hi all, I am a middle-aged housewife who has been wanting to get my husband into straight razor shaving for some time. I just cancelled our DSC membership because of who they financially support and now we need a new way to do things. I have spent all day learning about the differences between DE safety razors and straight edged ones. I have decided on a Rockwell 6s for me, I want it last a very long time and I am clumsy! I have not yet picked out a straight edge for my man and I may not need to. My step dad has a few older ones and he said I could have the best one, the one with no rust on the blade. Hoping he will send pics soon. Still have a ton to learn about blades, soaps, and all of the other neat stuff, I love to learn new things! Are there any other ladies on here?

Brenda

Welcome, Brenda. My wife is not a member, but she provides input through my account. She is a stay at home mom who also shaves with a DE razor. Middle age means different things to people, so my wife is in her early 50s. She loves her Lady Gillette, but the 6s is a great looking razor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wrlcome to B&B.
The Rockwell 6S will last a lifetime but try not to drop it too many times. Edges and corner can still get bent if dropped on a ceramic floor.
Razor blades that suit you should be your next quest. Anything from the P&G St Petersburg plant is worth trying.

Hey Brenda. Excited newcomers will all scream different blades (and other products) at you. Experienced members will recommend a blade sampler, so let me be the first:

Get a blade sampler and take your time learning blades. Once you choose your favorite, you can buy a 100 pack for around $10.

Good luck!

Welcome. Your husband may enjoy using a shavette/barber's razor for a while before making the jump to a straight razor. A shavette is functionally a straight razor, but it uses double edge blades snapped in half. This will allow your husband to learn how to hold and shave with a straight but it won't require him to learn stropping and blade maintenance yet, and that's the hardest part of using a straight razor.

Welcome Brenda!

My wife is not a member, but after watching my obsession and getting tired of the wastefulness of disposables, she's made the switch to a GEM Featherweight (a vintage single edged razor) for most areas, and a Feather SS (Japanese style) shavette (Feather Pro blades) for her "dermaplaning" needs.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome, I honestly thought that being a lady might be a detriment, obviously it's not! This is I'm really doing this more for my husband than myself, but the more I learn the more excited I am for me!

Welcome. Your husband may enjoy using a shavette/barber's razor for a while before making the jump to a straight razor. A shavette is functionally a straight razor, but it uses double edge blades snapped in half. This will allow your husband to learn how to hold and shave with a straight but it won't require him to learn stropping and blade maintenance yet, and that's the hardest part of using a straight razor.

Yes! This is why I chose the 6S, so we can share for a bit until we get a straight edge figured out for him. The way I see this going, I will be doing all of the work, studying, maintenance, and if things go right, shaving him when I can. He deserves to be pampered, and I enjoy pampering him. He has a tough job working a lot of hours and as much as he would love to dive head first into this new adventure, he just won't have the time. I do. I will try to condense the info I have learned so he can help with decisions and of course he will learn how to properly shave with both tools so he can give me proper feedback of likes and dislikes. He is a guy that loves tools of all sorts, loves using his hands to build things and I know this will be something he will fall in love with. He is quite excited. I hope the guy that has one for sale gets back to me, I sent him a message but can't post on the thread yet. Now I am learning about which soaps/creams to start with, which starter blade pack to try, brush, bowl, etc. It is all overwhelming, but in a good way! Is it OK to buy this kind of stuff used from the BST forum? Anything to stay away from?

Brenda

PS To Lightcs1776, I am 49, so well beyond the real middle age, can't image living to 98! LOL

Top Bottom