What's new

New king of smooth

Although I am very happy with my daily go to blade (Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)) I still, from time to time, experiment with trying others just to further my depth of experience.

I've experienced sharp blades, smooth blades, horrible blades and just so so ones. Up until now the oft metioned Astra SP had been the smoothest feeling one I had come across but for me just didn't feel sharp enough to do the business.

Enter my latest trial blade - the Gillette Rubie

This thing is smoother than a wet snail dipped in oil going down hill in the snow! But, and here's the clincher, nicely sharp as well

Think I may have just found an ideal partner to my current favourite blade

Ironically, inside of Russia only two Gillette DE blades are sold retail, the Sputnik & Rubie, so I read. There is no better blade than the Rubie IMO.
Forgive me, but you mislead people. I live in Russia, and I bought it no further than 200 meters from my house. Sincerely, Eugene

Attachments

• 20190323_145224.jpg
    20190323_145224.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 68
Although I am very happy with my daily go to blade (Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)) I still, from time to time, experiment with trying others just to further my depth of experience.

I've experienced sharp blades, smooth blades, horrible blades and just so so ones. Up until now the oft metioned Astra SP had been the smoothest feeling one I had come across but for me just didn't feel sharp enough to do the business.

This thing is smoother than a wet snail dipped in oil going down hill in the snow! But, and here's the clincher, nicely sharp as well

Interesting, because I think I've got a tuck of unopened Rubies in my stash. But I must ask: Have you tried Polsilver? I find them exceptionally smooth, but maybe not quite as sharp as a Yellow. Smoother, though.

But I must admit, it's really hard to go wrong with Yellows ...

Interesting, because I think I've got a tuck of unopened Rubies in my stash. But I must ask: Have you tried Polsilver? I find them exceptionally smooth, but maybe not quite as sharp as a Yellow. Smoother, though.

But I must admit, it's really hard to go wrong with Yellows ...

Yes, tried Polsilvers and found them pretty good in all respects

The trusty Yellow Sharp Edge is still the sharpest feeling blade I have come across and will remain my no.1 for now, but the Rubies are now close behind in the no.2 position

No one has reviewed them on Amazon. Why don't you be the first? FYI the Gillette yellows are only blade that works in my 1967SS. I'd love to try a black.

Yes, tried Polsilvers and found them pretty good in all respects

The trusty Yellow Sharp Edge is still the sharpest feeling blade I have come across and will remain my no.1 for now, but the Rubies are now close behind in the no.2 position
Well with that, given my like of Yellows and Polsilvers, I'll have to give Rubie a try. Thanks for the response.

Just wondering? Do you find Yellow sharper than Polsilver? I never did a back-to-back test, but I'm thinking so.

Oh, and I rank Nacet right up there in the very sharpest, just below Feather. Nacet may just edge-out the Yellows, to be honest.

I just ordered a few blades from tryablade. The rubie was one of them. I'll report back when my new merkur 1904 comes next week.

GSB and Blue Lab's had been my favorites for smooth.

Found a new King with 7O'C Blacks. Problem is that they are close to $35/hundred now. This is twice what the GSB and the Lab Blues cost.

Today's shave was with the EJ DE89. It was both close and smooth. Both of which were better than I usually get when using an R89 type head.

When I pulled the blade out of the shaver, I see it was the Rubie, which continues to surprise me!

For this end of year rotation, I am seeing which blades make it through to 8-shaves. This was #7 for the Rubie.

For my highest quality of a close shave, I have been using the R41 head. On occasion, I will switch up to another razor for comparison.

The R89's and the 34c give me the smoothest shaves, when alternating but they are never as close as the R41.

At midnight, the DE89's shave from the morning, is still close. In the morning, I will give the Rubie, shave #8, the final shave, in the R41.

For only few dollars more than the GSB or the Lab, the Rubie is now one of the Kings of Smooth! I never really expected it to best the GSB or the Lab, in the smooth department, let alone challenging the reining King.

I will need to do a head to head for a few days with the Rubie vs. the Black. Have to say that I am very impressed with the Rubie.

Anyone else put the Rubie against the Black?

At midnight, the DE89's shave from the morning, is still close. In the morning, I will give the Rubie, shave #8, the final shave, in the R41.
In the morning, the day befores shave with the Rubie was still close, surprisingly so.

My morning shave in the R41 was disappointing, to say the least. The blade was sharp, but very scratchy on my face.

I figured that I had overused the blade. Plus, I went from the DE89 head to the R41.

As it would turn out, I thought I had placed the Rubie in the R41, I had not! I discovered that I was at shave #8 with the Wizamet Super Iridium.

My bad! The Iridium is now retired and marked as pulled due to wear.

This morning, I shaved with the Rubie in the R41, which was shave #6. It was close and completely smooth. It turns out, that the Rubie did not let me down!

Tomorrow, another shave and another blade...

Last edited:
Top Bottom