What's new

New King C. Gillette Safety Razor

I’m going to be in the minority here - I’m not a fan of anything China, not a fan of Gillette’s man bashing and I’m a snob. I have all the Merkurs, EJ’s, Parker, Rex, Timeless, ATT, almost every RazoRock, Rockwell, Charcoal, Homelike, Karve, I have plastic, stainless, bronze, brass, titanium and Zamac, you get the idea - I have many many razors... My blades are Astra, TREET, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod...

I decided to try the King C - for no other reason than to try it. Gillette should be making Fat Boys but - this Razor was exceptional. I am a fan of mild, this razor is the DE89/R89 profile and blade gap. The razor is exceptionally well built - the threads are tight and precise, cap and base plate fit the same as Muehle R89 and my shave was fantastic - the King C Blade’s seem very, very good to me.Yes, this is not a Gillette, yes I think they missed the mark but this is a really good razor and blade combo (go figure). The chrome work was every bit the equal of EJ/Muehle.

I hope Gillette is testing the waters to get back into making real razors - as much a snob as I am, this is an outstanding razor.

I’m going to be in the minority here - I’m not a fan of anything China, not a fan of Gillette’s man bashing and I’m a snob. I have all the Merkurs, EJ’s, Parker, Rex, Timeless, ATT, almost every RazoRock, Rockwell, Charcoal, Homelike, Karve, I have plastic, stainless, bronze, brass, titanium and Zamac, you get the idea - I have many many razors... My blades are Astra, TREET, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod...

I decided to try the King C - for no other reason than to try it. Gillette should be making Fat Boys but - this Razor was exceptional. I am a fan of mild, this razor is the DE89/R89 profile and blade gap...I hope Gillette is testing the waters to get back into making real razors - as much a snob as I am, this is an outstanding razor.

Walgreen's now has this for $25. I was going to ask if it's worth a buy for a guy who has a problem with the EJ DE89 because of dense growth on the neck, sides of the chin and jawline. I rarely get a BBS shave with the DE89. If it's as mild as you say, then I'm a bit reluctant to buy it. Which brand of Treet blades do you like. There's about 7 different ones (maybe more) and I was thinking of getting all of them. There are several Ebay sellers selling GSB's for great prices (I think the same sellers are on Amazon). Can I trust any of them?

There are some coupons on walgreens website....ex: -$10 for this razor

Do you remember what the price was with the $10 coupon? It's $25 now with a $5 coupon.

I was thinking about starting a new thread about the KCG blades, but I think we have plenty already.

I’m starting to think the new star of the show are these blades. I previously got 33 smooth shaves out of the first and I just put my second blade (Second use/taken from my SBS) into my Standard Razor Aluminum this morning.

Man this thing sings in my Standard Razor. Even smoother than in my Super 84. Another thing of note is I used zero pressure. Aluminum razors, this one in particular, I’ve had to use some pressure because of the light weight. Was in a hurry this morning and just wanted a quick DFS and ended with a smooth BBS.

[
I think they're reacting to the push for greener options vs disposables with plastic handles, and the dozen or more "dollar shave club" ripoffs undercutting the hell out of them on disposables. Yes, no question it's good in the long run to bring attention back to a superior method of shaving (and ironically basically admitting that all their Mach 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 BS was marketing bunk and the razor has not been improved in 75 years). But I think they do have a tough road to hoe ahead of them to retain/regain market share, as right now it's a gimmick razor. I'm certain you can get a better razor for less by buying used... so the sales they can expect from guys already using DE's are gonna be pretty limited.
They're essentially trying to convert people away from the disposables market they created (because they're losing it now), and that's the good thing about it, is, like mentioned... this will bring people into this realm and maybe increase it into a market with mainstream representation again. That's a good thing.

What I'd like to see is effort put into using modern manufacturing, steel, and technology to improve the DE (and SE) blades. That's where their future lies if they're gonna shift into this realm and thrive. They're not gonna make profit selling a $1-5 razor for $30 for long. They'll make a profit by creating BLADES that people will actively seek out because they are better than what is available.
🤪

100 years ago, Gillette formulated a marketing strategy to sell his blades: give away a 'free' razor with the purchase of his blades. Too bad P&G lost sight of a good marketing ploy. They already sell a perfectly serviceable cheap razor sold at AliExpress. With a better handle it could fire up a real resurgence of DE shaving worldwide.
Chinese Gillette Tech.jpg

100 years ago, Gillette formulated a marketing strategy to sell his blades: give away a 'free' razor with the purchase of his blades. Too bad P&G lost sight of a good marketing ploy. They already sell a perfectly serviceable cheap razor sold at AliExpress. With a better handle it could fire up a real resurgence of DE shaving worldwide.
View attachment 1132237
Have you ever looked at the price of a 1920 Gillette razor?

Have you ever looked at the price of a 1920 Gillette razor?
It was after the patent expiration that Gillette started to compete on razor price, with the old type discounted by vendors to 69-89 cents. 1922:
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

It was after the patent expiration that Gillette started to compete on razor price, with the old type discounted by vendors to 69-89 cents. 1922:
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
That's still $11.47 and 10 years later they were still $5.00 to $75.00...

1930s-Gillette-double-edged-safety-razor-advertisement.gif

That's still $11.47 and 10 years later they were still $5.00 to $75.00...

View attachment 1132261

Hmm that's misleading.

$1 or a bit less is what competing manufacturers were selling their razors for, and Gillette matched them with the Old Type/Brownie 1922-30 while offering the New Improved sets as their premium offering. They made their money on the Brownie.

When the New was introduced in 1930 it was a $1 razor, soon after the Goodwill was a giveaway razor with blade purchase. As the 30s went on the non Goodwill razors were further discounted well under $1. Sure you could buy a $5 New Deluxe set but not many folks would have.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
In Italy it is sold at €14.90. A steal for the quality of the razor considering it includes a tuck of blades otherwise priced €2.50.
The cheapest version of the Muhle R89 (R106 with the black resin handle) is sold at twice the price and the KCG2 has a brass handle.

But...

I doubt the KCG2 head is made by Muhle. The Heritage's probably is but on the KCG2's box is clearly stated "Produced in China". Probably the reason for the low price.

If I may add my two Euro cents, it has no sense for Gillette to "give-away" the razors to sell more blades like they did a century ago because, even the most helpless marketing director knows that, the majority of the new customers will jump to Amazon to buy 100 Astras* or Derbys for as low as €9.00 instead of paying €5.00 for 10 KCG blades once the provided blades are over.

*Ok, technically Astras are made by Gillette but I hope you get the point :001_tongu

Top Bottom