What's new

New King C. Gillette Safety Razor

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I would not insult my Real Vintage Gillette Razors and let this cheaply made knock off in my den even if they wanted to give it to me.
The fact that Gillette (P&G) sells the name Gillette for something like this....
all I can say is .................. ...... ..

Looks like a Merkur 37C head.
I think you mean 34c. Not the same but similar.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Picked up one today from around the corner. There was one left, I decided against getting extra blades at this time and rather use my Lab Blues. I’m not a box guy, but the box is very nice. What surprised me when I picked it up was the weight. Going to have to weigh it at some point but this thing has some heft. Felt a little funny about taking pics in store but I’ve never bought a DE razor with Gillette on the box from a brick and mortar store before.

Opening the box in my car, the one big thing that was on my mind were the threads. From the video shared on B&B previously, I suspected they were brass like the Mühle R89/Heritage and I was right. The threads on the top cap are definitely brass. I still strongly suspect the whole head or in the least the top cap is Mühle.

Fit and finish are excellent. I had some misgivings about how slippery the handle would be, but in hand the knurling feels quite grippy as the ends are angled and sharp. I think the handle will do just fine in the bathroom. The handle itself has good weight and is also brass.

Another thing I observed was the gap. It appears larger than of my Heritage but I won’t know for sure until I get it home. Overall, very pleased.

Attachments

• 8143A436-3BF6-4419-A3C2-85C51B2C8504.jpeg
    8143A436-3BF6-4419-A3C2-85C51B2C8504.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 96661910-782B-4FD9-A519-BBF8B471B9DD.jpeg
    96661910-782B-4FD9-A519-BBF8B471B9DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 6438968D-43D3-4334-8F32-804624F383B8.jpeg
    6438968D-43D3-4334-8F32-804624F383B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 4238CAF1-E006-4389-A820-45A23A9D183A.jpeg
    4238CAF1-E006-4389-A820-45A23A9D183A.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1DE9257A-4914-491F-BF76-6D5B2E88A69F.jpeg
    1DE9257A-4914-491F-BF76-6D5B2E88A69F.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 43
  • 23C5087E-EA4C-4732-9826-10AD98298FFD.jpeg
    23C5087E-EA4C-4732-9826-10AD98298FFD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 00A6FB98-7B50-4CC5-A4C3-8BC5AB4B13BA.jpeg
    00A6FB98-7B50-4CC5-A4C3-8BC5AB4B13BA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Picked up one today from around the corner. There was one left, I decided against getting extra blades at this time and rather use my Lab Blues. I’m not a box guy, but the box is very nice. What surprised me when I picked it up was the weight. Going to have to weigh it at some point but this thing has some heft. Felt a little funny about taking pics in store but I’ve never bought a DE razor with Gillette on the box from a brick and mortar store before.

Opening the box in my car, the one big thing that was on my mind were the threads. From the video shared on B&B previously, I suspected they were brass like the Mühle R89/Heritage and I was right. The threads on the top cap are definitely brass. I still strongly suspect the whole head or in the least the top cap is Mühle.

Fit and finish are excellent. I had some misgivings about how slippery the handle would be, but in hand the knurling feels quite grippy as the ends are angled and sharp. I think the handle will do just fine in the bathroom. The handle itself has good weight and is also brass.

Another thing I observed was the gap. It appears larger than of my Heritage but I won’t know for sure until I get it home. Overall, very pleased.

Nice report, thanks! Looking forward to the shave review.

Im planning on buying one if I ever find them in store. Who cares if its made in China. Any modern DE razor that Gillette comes out with I will gladly buy.
Id love to be able to go to any grocery store or pharmacy and buy Gillette DE blades or a Gillette DE razor and the only way thats ever going to happen is if the consumer can convince P&G that its a viable market.

That sure looks like a Muhle head to me, which certainly isnt a bad thing!

Im planning on buying one if I ever find them in store. Who cares if its made in China. Any modern DE razor that Gillette comes out with I will gladly buy.
Id love to be able to go to any grocery store or pharmacy and buy Gillette DE blades or a Gillette DE razor and the only way thats ever going to happen is if the consumer can convince P&G that its a viable market.

Thank you, I'm happy I'm not the only one who feels this way. I understand why vintage gillette enthusiasts would be upset about essentially label slapping when they are known for some of the best DEs made but it will never happen again if we don't support these early attempts.

It's also funny to me that people complain about lack of brick and mortar availability when it comes to DEs and shelves overrun with 'evil plastic corporate man hating garbage' cartridges (as I've frequently read them referred to as) then turn around and scoff at thought of gillette putting out a 'new' safety razor. Bet half of those people would be singing it's praises if it weren't for that commercial lol. I also bet that if gillette released a real bonafide made in the USA from brass by American hands in Boston razor of either new design or re-release of say the tech or superspeed that most of those people would still turn their nose up at it.

I somehow ordered one online today. Against my will I added the razor to my cart (it says “out of stock” but let me do it) then hit check out and paid for it. I have a sickness I know, but I’m sure I’ll be ok and won’t buy any more shaving items from now on..... today.... lol

First of all, how many razor heads that are designed like an EJ89 does a guy need? Secondly, based on the wholesale prices of the razor factories seen on Alibaba, the handle probably costs $1 to $2 wholesale in bulk. The total manufacturing cost of this razor is perhaps $1.50 with a tremendous markup to retail. There's no reason why Gillette can't release a stainless steel razor for $50 when manufacturing in bulk, perhaps a bit more if made in the USA. With the computer aided design of those Chinese factories, and some decent quality control by Gillette, one has to wonder why they can't manufacture a decent stainless steel, adjustable butterfly razor. If it sells well, then buy the equipment and the steel for USA manufacturing.

I'm surprised they've chosen this particular time to be importing razors from China, unless they've had them in inventory since last year. before the virus started spreading in Wuhan province.

First of all, how many razor heads that are designed like an EJ89 does a guy need? Secondly, based on the wholesale prices of the razor factories seen on Alibaba, the handle probably costs $1 to $2 wholesale in bulk. The total manufacturing cost of this razor is perhaps $1.50 with a tremendous markup to retail. There's no reason why Gillette can't release a stainless steel razor for $50 when manufacturing in bulk, perhaps a bit more if made in the USA. With the computer aided design of those Chinese factories, and some decent quality control by Gillette, one has to wonder why they can't manufacture a decent stainless steel, adjustable butterfly razor. If it sells well, then buy the equipment and the steel for USA manufacturing.

I'm surprised they've chosen this particular time to be importing razors from China, unless they've had them in inventory since last year. before the virus started spreading in Wuhan province.
I don’t see what timing has to do with anything. The sooner the better. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you, I'm happy I'm not the only one who feels this way. I understand why vintage gillette enthusiasts would be upset about essentially label slapping when they are known for some of the best DEs made but it will never happen again if we don't support these early attempts.

It's also funny to me that people complain about lack of brick and mortar availability when it comes to DEs and shelves overrun with 'evil plastic corporate man hating garbage' cartridges (as I've frequently read them referred to as) then turn around and scoff at thought of gillette putting out a 'new' safety razor. Bet half of those people would be singing it's praises if it weren't for that commercial lol. I also bet that if gillette released a real bonafide made in the USA from brass by American hands in Boston razor of either new design or re-release of say the tech or superspeed that most of those people would still turn their nose up at it.

If just the head is made by Mühle or the whole thing is made in China, doesn’t matter to me, it was a really special thing seeing it on the shelf. Getting the Heritage was special also but not like this, just being able to get it at a regular store was very cool.

I have plenty of vintage Gillettes, including a Double Ring. Over the decades, they were produced in multiple countries and yes, this included zamack with the later Techs.

The way the Heritage has been selling out on Amazon, I’m thinking the KCG will do well also. Whether or not a member here with a rotation would pick one up based on name, coolness, whatever, doesn’t matter, it is on the shelf.

The average teenager, mom, dad whomever is going to see it and ask themselves what it is, then start Googling about DE. Doesn’t matter if you only want a brass Boston made razor, this is a very good thing for our small market.

I think a lot of people want their cake and to eat it too, as my father would say. I think that they want a Gillette de razor that was made in the usa but they only want to pay $30 for it, which isnt very realistic nowadays.
I also think that many of them are just caught up in hating on Gillette and would poo poo anything that they do.
I guess that I'm just a P&G fanboy. I like Gillette, Braun and Old Spice and I'm more than happy to give them my money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people want their cake and to eat it too, as my father would say. I think that they want a Gillette de razor that was made in the usa but they only want to pay $30 for it, which isnt very realistic nowadays.
I also think that many of them are just caught up in hating on Gillette and would poo poo anything that they do.
I guess that I'm just a P&G fanboy. I like Gillette, Braun and Old Spice and I'm more than happy to give them my money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can relate, I've owned several Braun shavers and still use one regularly as well as old spice cologne is always in my cabinet and dawn dish soap is a staple around my home.

Have a Gillette heritage maybe coming my way I snagged for $15 off of Facebook market place owner didn't have the blades with it but will throw in feathers and Gillette wilksonsword I've never used a muhle r89 have a murker 38c hd tho and few vintage superspeeds flaretips and fatboy

Top Bottom