What's new

new "kid" on the block

just signed up here, fairly new to wet shaving but not new to shaving in general.

Just had my first shave with a real straight razor (brand new Dovo 5/8 full hollow) this morning after getting some techniquie down with a Parker SR1 half DE holder and pretty happy with the results.

Only thing is that the full-hollow edge seemed to catch more on some thicker/longer stubble, and I'm wondering if I should maybe look into a wedge for Mondays since I'd prefer not to have to shave on weekends and I'm looking to get rid of as much "disposable" gear as I can eliminate from the daily routine.

Welcome to B&B. Enjoy your straight razor!

For the record, which one are you?
proxy.php

yep. factory sealed and ready to go, I ordered it from royal shave through their amazon storefront.

I'm a little confuced about how frequently to strop it though. most of what I've seen online has said to strop very frequently but the "manual" that came with the razor said that a stropping should last quite some time (I think they said about a month).

thanks for all the welcomes.

J

Jeremysilverado

I find the only real difference between a wedge and a hollow is the sharpening process. You're not saving any money by getting rid of you disposable gear if you keep spending so much on wet shaving gear and razors. Love what you have.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
yep. factory sealed and ready to go, I ordered it from royal shave through their amazon storefront.

I'm a little confuced about how frequently to strop it though. most of what I've seen online has said to strop very frequently but the "manual" that came with the razor said that a stropping should last quite some time (I think they said about a month).

thanks for all the welcomes.

There's your issue.

1-Factory sealed is not shave ready. Even when you have the Dovo sticker that says it's sharp, don't put your finger on the edge... You need a honemeister to sharpen the straight razor before it's first used. You will then need re-honing probably once a month but that largely varies on the straight, how often you shave, how much (surface) you shave and your stropping technique

2-You need to strop between shaves always... 50-60 laps.

There's your issue.

1-Factory sealed is not shave ready. Even when you have the Dovo sticker that says it's sharp, don't put your finger on the edge... You need a honemeister to sharpen the straight razor before it's first used. You will then need re-honing probably once a month but that largely varies on the straight, how often you shave, how much (surface) you shave and your stropping technique

2-You need to strop between shaves always... 50-60 laps.

Thanks for the tip on stropping.

In my case, the razor was sold a shave-ready and did a great job for me the first day without any additional honing, the resistance I felt on some longer/denser patches may just be the thinner edge of the full-hollow compared to the small length of half-DE that sticks out of the steel holder on the SR-1 I'd been using for a couple weeks. Maybe it's really just a matter of adjusting to the new feel rather than needing a wedge for shaggier days.

I find the only real difference between a wedge and a hollow is the sharpening process. You're not saving any money by getting rid of you disposable gear if you keep spending so much on wet shaving gear and razors. Love what you have.

So far, all my wet gear hasn't cost as much as a mid-range electric (never could get a decent shave with one of those rigs though), and with the price of M3 or any of the 4-50 blade cartridges, that should break even in under a year (or less with the savings of soap vs. cans of goop with as long as my soap looks like it'll last). The savings for me are a side-benefit though, I'm mainly just trying to reduce my unnecessary trash output and get a better (and more enjoyable) shave in the process.

My plan for the disposable gear was more to stash it in case of emergency (no sense in junking something that takes up so little drawer space and won't spoil), such as days when I sleep in and can't spare the time to straight-shave before work.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the tip on stropping.

In my case, the razor was sold a shave-ready and did a great job for me the first day without any additional honing, the resistance I felt on some longer/denser patches may just be the thinner edge of the full-hollow compared to the small length of half-DE that sticks out of the steel holder on the SR-1 I'd been using for a couple weeks. Maybe it's really just a matter of adjusting to the new feel rather than needing a wedge for shaggier days.

If you didn't pay an extra amount it wasn't shave ready for sure. The sticker from the factory says it is but it's not.

Second bit, if you don't strop enough, the razor will pull.

Top Bottom