What's new

new "kid" on the block

If you didn't pay an extra amount it wasn't shave ready for sure. The sticker from the factory says it is but it's not.

Second bit, if you don't strop enough, the razor will pull.

I'm not sure if I paid extra for it or not, there was one price given and the description stated plainly that it would be delivered "shave-ready". I've now shaved with it twice (I did strop in between with a canvas/horse barber strop) and haven't noticed any issues with pulling, and the only nick I've had was from my own carelessness in either allowing some skin to bunch up in front or using some pressure when I shouldn't have - I did get in a hurry this morning and had to use a cartridge for my chin where the density is much higer and I'm still getting the angles down which was really where I had issues on the first shave, but got my cheeks and neck with the Dovo.

I re-read the note from the box and probably misinterpreted it at first (it says that stropping before shaving will keep the blade sharp for several months, which I now realize was a reference to the honing interval rather than the stropping interval).

thanks for the help

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm not sure if I paid extra for it or not, there was one price given and the description stated plainly that it would be delivered "shave-ready". I've now shaved with it twice (I did strop in between with a canvas/horse barber strop) and haven't noticed any issues with pulling, and the only nick I've had was from my own carelessness in either allowing some skin to bunch up in front or using some pressure when I shouldn't have - I did get in a hurry this morning and had to use a cartridge for my chin where the density is much higer and I'm still getting the angles down which was really where I had issues on the first shave, but got my cheeks and neck with the Dovo.

I re-read the note from the box and probably misinterpreted it at first (it says that stropping before shaving will keep the blade sharp for several months, which I now realize was a reference to the honing interval rather than the stropping interval).

thanks for the help

In this case, if it was mentioned 'shave-ready' it's probably shave ready. Make sure you stretch the skin while shaving and do your laps on the strop between shaves. The rest will come together. Do not expect a good shave right away. Shaving with a straight takes time.

pm'ed a bit with a rep from royalshave (where I bought the razor, although it was before I signed up here and saw 'em in the vendor forum) and got a bit more detail on that; apparently Dovo ships their "shave ready" razors sharp enough to use but not as sharp as they can possibly get when professionally honed.

I've pretty much got a handle (so to speak) on the angles for my face so far with a little less confidence around the chin (but I can get that OK taking my time, I was just running about 20 min late this morning and needed some speed), I did a couple weeks with a straight-style half-DE holder to work it out before jumping into the real straight, althouhg in some ways the real deal has been easier to manage since the Parker had a sharp exposed corner short of the point which snagged me a couple times, and now I'm far enough along that my last several nicks have been due to me getting careless or rushed rather than accidentally slipping along the edge or cutting too steep (the first week some friends told me I looked like I'd been fighting with a cat...), still working up the courage/confidence to try any ATG final passes below my mouth/jawline though.

Thanks for all the advice. One last quick thing, the lit says to strop before shaving, but is it a problem if I strop at night when I've got more time for a shave in the morning?

Welcome to B&B. Enjoy your straight razor!

For the record, which one are you?
proxy.php

TO FUNNY :lol:

Top Bottom