What's new

New kamasori, stropping, balsa advice plz

Just received this beauty from Japan, wondering if anyone can offer some tips regarding keeping it in shape with regard to stropping and balsa stropping? Thanks!
20220416_114808.jpg

If you don't have a bevel established, or if you ever ding the edge, no amount of pasted balsa will save you. Does your razor have a bevel?

The razor is supplied advertised as shave ready, honed by a Japanese hone meister. I'm just wondering how to maintain it really. It has the assymetric traditional grind.
20220416_124855.jpg

You have multiple options really. It all depends upon what resources you have available. A leather strop is obviously a must and most if not all edges can and will be maintained for a very long time provided the owner knows how to properly strop a razor.

You could purchase and use a 12-16K synthetic stone, you could invest in a natural stone and accompanying finishing stones. You could purchase a barbers hone for touch ups or you could use pasted surfaces such as cloth or balsa.

It really all depends upon what you want to do here. I'm not going to attempt to proselytize you on my preferred methods.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. I was actually amazed at how fast it arrived for usd 11 shipping from Japan to Bahrain. I'll strop carefully and ship it back should it ever start to tug. Just have been extremely happy with the balsa keeping my straights keen and was hoping to do the same with the kamisori.

Thanks for the reply. I was actually amazed at how fast it arrived for usd 11 shipping from Japan to Bahrain. I'll strop carefully and ship it back should it ever start to tug. Just have been extremely happy with the balsa keeping my straights keen and was hoping to do the same with the kamisori.

If your balsa set up has served you well with your other razors, I would recommend simply doing the same with the new Kamisori.

I have the Henkotsu Kamisori and it was honed ready with a Nakayama...
Nice initial few shaves but I feel although the edge is smooth but it's not crisp enough for me...
So I put it through a Naniwa 12k then finished on the pasted balsa and buffalo leather strops...
Man, the edge sure improved...maybe abit too sharp..hahaha

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Baz4262 I concur with @Titleist's advice. If you are happy using your pasted balsa to maintain your western style SR's, you can continue the same with your new kamisori.

@Chard52142 has also made a very good comment.

I sometimes wish that I had pulled the trigger on a traditional asymmetrical kamisori. I haven't yet as I am still concerned about protecting the blade's edge during my travels.

I've seen ring binders or stationary whatsits that look virtually identical to that. Some fun with cheap thermoplastic beads from amazon could give a custom result too.

I have the Henkotsu Kamisori and it was honed ready with a Nakayama...
Nice initial few shaves but I feel although the edge is smooth but it's not crisp enough for me...
So I put it through a Naniwa 12k then finished on the pasted balsa and buffalo leather strops...
Man, the edge sure improved...maybe abit too sharp..hahaha
Well my first kamisori experience seems to be very similar. First pass, smooth but efficiency was lacking. Gave it a slight balsa progression, 10 omote side 1 ura side with cross strokes and it's getting there nicely. Didn't treetop at first, now it does. Needed some balsa love that's all. 👍🏻

Top Bottom