What's new

New job - business casual dress code

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Actually I'd love to go a bit crazy and eccentric with it but I have neither the confidence or desire to potentially not make a good impression :) However this does remind me of a man on one of my commutes who got off the train in London wearing the proper tweed suit, flat cap, waistcoat etc and was carrying a book about shooting game. I love weird London people.
That sounds like my kind of guy. :thumbup1: Seriously, though, I'm sure once you're settled in and more comfortable, it'd be fine to start working a little personal style into your daily getup. Not that I want you to get fired for wearing brown shoes or anything. Man, I thought the US Navy are the only ones who get so wound up about black shoes and brown shoes.

It’s Oct so it will be cooler - I would wear some wool trousers, shirt with a jumper over it and possibly a jacket, because you can easily just take that off when you arrive.

You could also just ask… won’t you be talking to the HR person or the CTO before you arrive? It’s not an unreasonable question with a new job and all the WFH changes we’ve had.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That sounds like my kind of guy. :thumbup1: Seriously, though, I'm sure once you're settled in and more comfortable, it'd be fine to start working a little personal style into your daily getup. Not that I want you to get fired for wearing brown shoes or anything. Man, I thought the US Navy are the only ones who get so wound up about black shoes and brown shoes.

:nonod: Airedales!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Congrats your new position! I like the idea of an informal blazer and light modern wool pants no pleat. A comfortable shirt possibly an Oxford but I’d go with something you feel good in if you have to move around. The jacket can come off if it’s too much or on for style or pockets. I wouldn’t go suit though even though I appreciate the dressing better rule. The recon is a great idea. Getting a sense of what folks wear and the age range there.
years ago I did recon driving to a new job the day before. The HR person actually gave me the wrong exit (she was coming from the other direction and the exits weren’t matching)I would have been late and so stressed if I didn’t scope that out. I also wore a suit the first day it was business casual but I had no idea. The older guys were more business rumpled so I stood out like a sore thumb. I was youngand not that confident so that didn’t help on the first day. Keep us posted on how it’s going.
and don’t forget the first day of work shave!
what aftershave goes with business casual? 😁

Why don't you go near the place at quitting time and see what people are wearing as they leave?

At a new job, I'd want to make sure I meet the expected dress code.

For me, the only thing worse than being overdressed is being under dressed.

Good advice. I changed jobs some time ago. The company I worked for had more formal attire: suits and ties. I went to another company that was business casual. However, all of the executives and upper-echelon employees wore suits and ties except on Friday. Fortunately, when I went for my interviews I observed the dress code in action.

To me, business casual means good brogues.

Nothing else. Just a pair of good brogues.

Senior management are always looking for people who stand out from the crowd. Someone who has their own personal style.

The whole brown shoes in London thing could just be me but I've never seen anyone in my current company or any external visitors in them and very rarely see any out and about and commuting. In fact tassle loafers with no socks and stupidly short trousers are more common.

So I've decided to go for a couple of pairs of chinos in dark blue and a lighter colour, couple of blazers again in dark and a bit lighter, I already have some ok button up shirts and adding a couple of nice polos (most of mine have quite bold patterns) will cover office options and give me nice things to wear when out with the wife etc. However I will try and scope it out beforehand and yes as mentioned I could ask directly (although the cto is actually also fairly new and I dont think has been in the office very much at all).
One question on a blazer I found - there was a bit of fabric matching the inside pattern actually sewn into the outside chest pocket to look like a pocket square? I get the idea although I'd rather choose my own. Do you just fiddle with it till it looks ok or is there some trick to it? It just looked a bit rumpled, presumably from being tried on etc.

I agree with others suggesting it's best to err on the side of "business" rather than overly-casual for at least the first few days. I've never worked in London, but my understanding is that it is a relatively conservative business culture (i.e. brown shoes are not business appropriate the way they are often worn stateside). You can easily dress down a suit by wearing a patterned/non-white shirt and a less formal tie (pattern, material and colour dictate this). The right tie can effectively "dress down" a look while still looking put together, and can easily be taken off if it feels like overkill. Chinos and a button-down may turn out to be what the office tends to wear, but I wouldn't assume that until feeling things out for a few days in person.

Quick aside: black oxfords may look a bit out of place when worn with chinos, so if those tend to be the trousers of choice for the office, picking up a new pair of shoes may be where the money is. Lots of options here: in black, I'd go with either a derby-laced shoe +/- light brogue pattern or maybe a loafer (the latter is very much an American look though); you may also be able to get away with brown shoes in the right setting, but tread cautiously ;) here and go with a darker shade, either espresso or burgundy.

Bottom line: nobody will look down on somebody who slightly overdresses on their first day -- it won't send the wrong impression.

Shoes are a slight dilemma because yes I think the black oxfords are a little formal sometimes. However I generally just dont like brown shoes anyway, except possibly a very dark brown slightly more casual thing (I dont know all the different names sorry), loafers feel a bit 1990s yuppie and semi smart boot things (desert? Chelsea? Not sure) seem like they would be too hot in warmer months

Oh and I haven't even mentioned bags yet for similar reasons - I still use a backpack and know its supposedly super wrong but I literally cant find another option I like that doesnt feel like I'm some work experience kid trying to look trendy or some low level marketing creative type

Shoes are a slight dilemma because yes I think the black oxfords are a little formal sometimes. However I generally just dont like brown shoes anyway, except possibly a very dark brown slightly more casual thing (I dont know all the different names sorry), loafers feel a bit 1990s yuppie and semi smart boot things (desert? Chelsea? Not sure) seem like they would be too hot in warmer months

Navy/blue shoes are a great alternative to black, and can smarten up your look. Can go with black, grey, and brown, pants/suits.

I don't think you're necessarily wrong on any count there. Maybe google "oxford vs derby shoe" to get a sense of the difference in construction. Oxfords are the more formal of the two. Other ways to take black shoes a bit further down on the formality scale are to introduce broguing, or look for something in a different construction like "split toe" models or wing-tips.

Navy/blue shoes are a great alternative to black, and can smarten up your look. Can go with black, grey, and brown, pants/suits.

As in some sort of navy brogues (ie still fairly smart leather ones) or something a bit less formal? I haven't really seen many that arent either black or brown but I'll take a look.

Actually I kind of like these although I'd possibly prefer a slightly darker colour

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-095025.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-095025.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 8
And M&S do a more blue type version, actually visiting an outlet village place tomorrow to have a look around and they have an M&S there. And a Clarks, I've had some really comfy shoes from Clarks before and they also seem to last a long time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-095234.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-095234.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 8
As in some sort of navy brogues (ie still fairly smart leather ones) or something a bit less formal? I haven't really seen many that arent either black or brown but I'll take a look.

I'd say both, but it really depends on your needs. I have a similar pair to the two you posted, but it's in a dark or slate gray. In the past I have had one in light blue.

I’m trying to hook up a job with a “business casual“ dress code. I was told they could wear jeans. My reply was..”y’all can wear jeans? And the dress code is business casual?”.

Makes no sense to me. Business casual IMO is slacks, no jeans. Button up shirt tucked in. Tie or no tie, doesn’t matter. Just button up collar shirt tucked in to pants, not jeans. Even a polo would qualify IMO. But jeans? No way. No sneakers or gyms shoes.

As usual Doc4 nails it.
In my experience (US call centers) it os a COLLARED shirt, does not have to be button up, Polos were acceptable, especially company polos. casual slacks/chinos and casual shoes, not athletic shoes. my ensemble were usualy something from Dockers, alternating button down or polo, and some dress shoes

Top Bottom