What's new

New job - business casual dress code

Hi,

I've pretty much worn suits for all of my jobs for the last 20 years but I'm starting a new job in October and the code is full time business casual (although not compulsory and it says you can wear more formal but I suspect most people wont be).
Its a financial company in London but not a bank, IT job and not managerial but I will be reporting to the CTO. Until I start I dont know generally what people actually wear and how it's interpreted so I'm figuring start off with chinos, button up shirt and possibly a blazer. Currently I only have suits, one decent pair of black chinos, quite a few regular button up shirts (fairly cheap ones) and shoe wise black oxfords that could do with being replaced as the sole is quite worn. I also usually wear a white v neck tshirt under a shirt mainly for preventing sweat stains and it just feels more comfortable but I'm thinking of going for some better fitting undershirts.
So would like to hear general recommendations along colours and styles of trouser/blazer, plus any good mid priced shops in the UK to look at. I have most chains where I live or popping into London isnt a big issue (still currently working from home until September).

It might be easier to just dress down your suits. The obvious look is Oxford, no tie with your suit but a lot of people (me included) don't like that look. You could try a henley shirt with one of your suits, or even a solid color T-shirt. Dark jeans and a suit coat/blazer can work, or even a vest.

Good luck with the new position! I worked in London for a number of long stays over the years, mostly professional, with four extended stays while working in finance, and two teaching. My most recent working stay was seven weeks in June and July 2016 teaching.

From a now retired business professor, it may pay you to be that guy who dresses a shade better than the mean. See what the other fellows are wearing and add say 5-10%. Not so much better that you stand out too much, just a little. There has been some research done on dress and perceptions, and my recollection is that a smidge of better dress was the optimal solution. You may always wear a suit, and on arrival lose the jacket and tie, if your unsure of where to start. If you do choose to start with a suit, a colored or patterned shirt is often a better option than plain white, if you know the tie and jacket will be lost.

I can't truly help much with local shops, other than to say I picked up some nice things at TK Maxx, some clothes and some shaving kit.

T. M. Lewin: Business casual galore - cheap & lots of suggestions on how to combine styles.

I would suit and tie up for the first few days and look around. Then get rid of the tie and switch to button down collared shirts (Oxford or small patterns).

I personally don’t like Chinos with a Blazer but would opt for dark grey wool trousers and smart blue jacket, maybe a softer Italian cashmere/silk fabric and cut.

Not sure if its casual enough for jeans, I do have a couple of pairs of nice ones and I think decent dark ones might be ok but then I figure why not just go decent pants (trousers where I come from) if you're having to wear jeans that look smart.
Same for Henley (or polo) shirts - its either going to be everyone wears regular shirts or they do the less formal thing.

Sport coat - hadn't much considered because I think they're usually a bit longer and can look odd on someone short and not terribly skinny like me?

Definitely agree with the comment on dressing a bit above what's expected - trying to go for that but not being the guy that stands out for the wrong reasons by being too formal. Again something I'll better be able to gauge after starting. Unfortunately with working from home and all interviews being teams based I havent been to the offices yet.

US Midwest, but we did a lot of work with the government.
Jeans were not included in business casual. They were allowed only on Fridays.

I would suggest something a bit less than suit pants and a button front shirt, either button down collar or not. A pattern in the shirt would help.

A sport coat is probably not required expected. Wearing one when you come in, it’s easy to take it off. Then see what is worn by everyone else.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Until I start I dont know generally what people actually wear and how it's interpreted

popping into London isnt a big issue

Why don't you go near the place at quitting time and see what people are wearing as they leave?

At a new job, I'd want to make sure I meet the expected dress code.

For me, the only thing worse than being overdressed is being under dressed.

Last edited:
Sport coat - hadn't much considered because I think they're usually a bit longer and can look odd on someone short and not terribly skinny like me?
Sport coats styles have changed. They are now styled to be worn shorter which is why they can be quite dressy to uber casual.

Why don't you go near the place at quitting time and see what people are wearing as they leave?
Since it's a bank, I was gonna suggest just walking in during business hours to see what folks are wearing on a random day. But either stalker-ish behavior here could be beneficial. Also, nothing wrong with starting more dressed up for a few days and then coming down to the standard (or whatever level you decide fits best).
Business casual, unfortunately, is an incredibly broad category. It can mean jeans are ok or jeans can be an absolute no-no. My previous job used this description, and it essentially meant khakis/chinos and a polo shirt. No jeans. Ever. Bad employee for wearing denim.
My current job's dress code is "Be Comfortable". Thankfully, most people seem to have some decency about that.

Here in the US, business casual for men is usually some sort of non-denim slacks, a button down shirt, belt, and some form of dress shoe. Some places include nice polo shirts within the business casual allowance. Jeans are usually not included (except for Casual Fridays when allowed), and neither are sneakers/tennis shoes. In your place, I'd probably wear a shirt, tie, sports coat, and nice chino slacks. It's not a suit, but nicer than most might wear. If the environment is such that you can go more casual with your business casual, then you'll know.

I could scope it out at luchtime/leaving time closer to the time when I'm back in my office 3 days a week before I leave as the new place is just up the road :)

In terms of colour combinations for jacket, trousers, shirt anything more suitable? I thought there was always some rule about trousers being darker than the jacket or something but having searched a bit it seems there's no set rule. I do know the one about belt and shoes matching though

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Sounds to me like you're on the right track. I tend to think it'd be okay to rock the suit on your first day to look your best for first impressions and all that jazz. Then, you'll have a good idea of how most people dress and you can alter accordingly. I'm sure a few chinos and button downs would get you by for long enough to rebuild your wardrobe around your new dress code.

As an aside, if I was in the UK, I'd totally go all country gentleman with tattersall shirts, chunky wool ties, patchy tweed jackets, brogue wingtips and the whole shootin' match. But maybe that's not done in London. Is "no brown in town" still a thing in Her Britannic Majesty's realm?

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. I tend to think it'd be okay to rock the suit on your first day to look your best for first impressions and all that jazz. Then, you'll have a good idea of how most people dress and you can alter accordingly. I'm sure a few chinos and button downs would get you by for long enough to rebuild your wardrobe around your new dress code.

As an aside, if I was in the UK, I'd totally go all country gentleman with tattersall shirts, chunky wool ties, patchy tweed jackets, brogue wingtips and the whole shootin' match. But maybe that's not done in London. Is "no brown in town" still a thing in Her Britannic Majesty's realm?

Actually I'd love to go a bit crazy and eccentric with it but I have neither the confidence or desire to potentially not make a good impression :) However this does remind me of a man on one of my commutes who got off the train in London wearing the proper tweed suit, flat cap, waistcoat etc and was carrying a book about shooting game. I love weird London people.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
the code is full time business casual (although not compulsory and it says you can wear more formal but ...

So assume that they don't want you "underdressed" below what they consider Business Casual.
Its a financial company in London but not a bank, IT job

London England, no doubt. "The City" has a certain reputation of upholding it's own particular dress code(s) ... no brown shoes, for example ... but IMHO that has been relaxing the past couple decades.
1626206104096.png

But it's important to see what the "workplace norm" is and how they interpret the term, and then aim at the upper edge of that.

Until I start I dont know generally what people actually wear and how it's interpreted so

Exactly. Don't spend a lot on stuff until you know what you ought to wear. Buying a couple blazers and a dozen OCBD shirts ... and then finding you really should be wearing polo shirts instead ... not a good thing. (Or vice versa and having a closet of unused polo shirts.)

I'm figuring start off with chinos, button up shirt and possibly a blazer.

Probably a good idea.

Since some people interpret "business casual" as "not a suit ... wear jacket, shirt and tie" I'd suggest adding a less-formal tie to that outfit; real easy to take it off the first morning when you see you are the only one wearing a tie.

You can even make a "joining the crew" ceremony of it with a "glad to join you good folks and not need to wear this old thing anymore" comment.

So would like to hear general recommendations along colours and styles of trouser/blazer,

Ideal blazer would be navy blue but avoid the shiny metal buttons. That will go with just about anything (other than black or dark blue trousers.) A good second one, if you want/need, would be a light blue or a tan/cream cotton/linen blazer (great for the summer).

With a navy blazer the classic "dressy" chino/trouser is mid-grey. Less dressy but very attractive are olive and tan/khaki ... or cream in the summer.

I dislike black shoes with very light trousers ... tan shoes work much better IMHO. But ... this being London ... you may not want to wander down this road. If that's the case, I'd suggest leaning toward the grey and olive trousers or perhaps a darker khaki.

any good mid priced shops in the UK to look at

Not much help here. I just know some of the more well-known online retailers. Someone mentioned TM Lewin. I'd add Charles Tyrwhitt (CTshirts) to that list, but readily admit that there will be better options out there that I don't know about.

Is Marks & Sparks still a thing?

For me, the only thing worse than being overdressed is being under dressed.

Very witty, Wilde, Very witty.

1626207040274.png

Business casual, unfortunately, is an incredibly broad category.

1626205641612.png

1626205677520.png

1626205718558.png

1626205757948.png

Indeed. The OP should remember that when he reads our recommendations. There are a lot of differences geographically from place to place (the "aloha shirt" that is "BC" in Hawaii is "underdressed" in Los Angeles and totally inappropriate in New York. And so forth.)

Yes London UK, and generally from my experience certainly in the finance industry nobody really wears brown shoes. Shoe wise I'm just thinking of sticking to the classic black oxfords. I already have quite a few polo shirts as they're my regular clothing for working at home which is currently under "dress down Friday" rules - anything with a collar and no ripped jeans (and nobody sees what trousers I wear anyway).

Concur re doing a recon of the new job. Take a few notes even using a fountain pen!!!

My initial thoughts would be a blazer and slacks with collared shirts. Lace up black leather shoes. at least two pair so you can alternate as they will last much longer that way. Rubber/plastic heel taps will prevent the heel from wear down almost indefinitely.

I would be that guy whose shoes alway looked great and who alway wore a pocket square.

Even modest clothing i.e Uniqlo, when pressed well and coupled with quality shined leather shoes is alway better then, ill fitting, unpressed clothing mated with shoes that look like the were shined with a Cadbury Chocolate Bar, even if said clothing is far more expensive than the Uniqlo example.

I have found multiple pairs of shoes, ties, pocket squares, shirts, cuff links etc for pennies on the dollar at thrift/second hand stores. You have to like the hunt and you have to only buy top quality that fits or can be made to fit well easily and reasonably.
i.e. a pair of Loake shoes might retail for 200 pounds but could be had at a thrift shop for 20 pounds. Conditioned and shined they will look and be far better than any 75 pound shoe.

Let us know what you do.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m trying to hook up a job with a “business casual“ dress code. I was told they could wear jeans. My reply was..”y’all can wear jeans? And the dress code is business casual?”.

Makes no sense to me. Business casual IMO is slacks, no jeans. Button up shirt tucked in. Tie or no tie, doesn’t matter. Just button up collar shirt tucked in to pants, not jeans. Even a polo would qualify IMO. But jeans? No way. No sneakers or gyms shoes.

As usual Doc4 nails it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
From the vantage point of the USA, I am hesitant to make any recommendations. The traditional uniform of the day in the world of business casual over here, if worn in London, would brand you as a Yank wannabe. Although it has been awhile since I was in London, I still find Europe a good bit dressier than the USA and find that some of the clothing we like puzzles our friends across the pond, most notably jeans and American loafers. I do not believe there is any substitute for doing some actual recon. If possible, recon of others in IT might help. IT has many different aspects, and at least over here you dressed more casually if you were in support than if you were a programmer because you had to be lugging hardware, getting into nooks and crannies to route wires, etc.

Top Bottom