What's new

New Jnat user

Just grabbed myself a couple of JNATs and now the hunt begins for some nagura. I cant seem to locate any. Ive had a look at Maksim's and Aframes and nothing. Anywhere else I might grab a set? Im also after a Tomo as well, and that would work on both an Ozuku Asagi and Nakayama Maruichi.

There is a gentleman selling some in the BST currently I believe. Also, many like to use a small diamond plate to slurry their stones with the stone itself. I am not a jnat guru by any means, but I have best results with diamond slurry and maybe tomo myself. Good luck.

Here you go:

@musicman980

Here you go:

@musicman980
Thanks. They are some nice looking rocks. I was hoping to get a set to save on shipping since I’m in Australia.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Knives and stones in Sydney used to carry them but I don’t see them now. Give them a shout. I bought a nice small 3-piece set of Mikawa from them years ago.

Also try So Yamashita at Japan-tool

Blimey... not here to f spiders with your choice of stones to start on! ;)

Now I'm not a massive nagura expert but here's my 2¢... I'm assuming those two are both going to pretty hard and fine, which will mean you'd need to be somewhat selective in nagura choice. You'll probably want something fine, but perhaps a smidgen softer than the stones themselves.

My inclination though would be to use a diamond plate on that kind of very hard stone. Though again - need to be slightly selective - I wouldn't go too low a grit level if you got a new one. Perhaps 1200.

I have a full set of asano nagura stones and one tomo nagura. I only use my 600 dmt as a slurry plate and finish with tomo. The dmt really speed’s up my stones. The tomo is greate to smooth out the surface and finish on. Asano nagura stone are nice to have, but for the price some of them are selling for you could get a nice bout, which you could match with your main stone and use as a tomo. The dmt or atoma plate is something you need anyway.

+2 on contacting So Yamashita I own several stones sourced through him, all of them are right on point and I believe he lives at least part time in Australia.
There are many ways to use J-Nats and using a full quality set of nagura can certainly yield great results once we learn to use them.
Full nagura progressions may not be the fastest for sure, if I needed honing to be fast I would simply use a fast synthetic progression like Shapton Glass stones etc.
Matching naguras, including Tomo, to your base stones will be an exercise in testing to find what works best.

+2 on contacting So Yamashita I own several stones sourced through him, all of them are right on point and I believe he lives at least part time in Australia.
There are many ways to use J-Nats and using a full quality set of nagura can certainly yield great results once we learn to use them.
Full nagura progressions may not be the fastest for sure, if I needed honing to be fast I would simply use a fast synthetic progression like Shapton Glass stones etc.
Matching naguras, including Tomo, to your base stones will be an exercise in testing to find what works best.
Anyone know how to contact Mr Yamashita? I had a look on the website and there is a statement about being swamped and the possible inability to respond to new enquiries.

I just was browsing the Japan Tool webstie before emailing So and noticed that he doesn't recommend Nagura but instead to use an Atoma 1200 for slurry? Thoughts?

I just was browsing the Japan Tool webstie before emailing So and noticed that he doesn't recommend Nagura but instead to use an Atoma 1200 for slurry? Thoughts?

Read above where several have recommended the same to you already :) I personally agree, but that’s what works for me.

I have a tenjyou, meijro, and koma you can have. But like others have said, I diamond plate is quicker, which is what I do, and why I'd sell them.

Top Bottom