What's new

New James Bond-spoilers abound proceed with caution!

I just have to get this off my chest. My wife is not listening because she is in love with Daniel Craig. Most of my regular Bond-mates haven't been to the movie yet and so I can't spoil it for them. But this movie left me mad. I felt betrayed! The Bond character doesn't just give up and basically kill himself. But once the whole "Bond's kid" portion of the story started, I felt like James Bond got left outside like Fred at the end of the Flinstones.

I also feel like the filmmakers really haven't been up on their literary source. At the end of the the novel You Only Live Twice, Bond escapes from Blofeld's Garden of Death with a weather balloon. Here we have Bond at the same type of garden, I'm sure a weather balloon could have been handy. Plus killing Blofeld and Leiter just seemed.....well, overkill. We don't want Bond to be a Shakespearean tragedy. Part of the thrill of seeing the words "James Bond Will Return" at the end of a movie is knowing that nothing keeps Bond down.

They made quite a to-do about the new 007, and that was not worth the kerfuffle. It was as I expected it to be, very temporary.

I posted earlier about this and the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with it. I know Bond is not meant to be a documentary but some of the plot holes are just so massive (Bond's got a watch which would kill off the nanobots, the bad guys break into a secret MI6 lab which has no security???), factual errors (French ship in Cuba, which is still under UN sanctions...) and the sheer lack of chemistry between the leading couple - how did they breed?? I probably don't care if there is never a new Bond film.

Plot holes can be acceptable in Bond as long as the sizzle is there. Goldfinger killing all the gangsters after outlining the heist? Was it just so Bond could overhear?

Killing characters in movies doesn't mean anything.

After Collin Firth had his brains blown out in Kingsman,
he came back in the sequel wearing an eye patch.

The movie You Only Live Twice
started with Bond's assassination and funeral.

Crank ended with Jason Statham falling 1000 freet from a helicopter
and bouncing off a taxi to land into frame dead.
Crank 2 explains his resurrection in some way that I can't remember.

Killing characters in movies doesn't mean anything.

After Collin Firth had his brains blown out in Kingsman,
he came back in the sequel wearing an eye patch.

The movie You Only Live Twice
started with Bond's assassination and funeral.

Crank ended with Jason Statham falling 1000 freet from a helicopter
and bouncing off a taxi to land into frame dead.
Crank 2 explains his resurrection in some way that I can't remember.
Except YOLT was all a ruse. We've never had the Bond movies go Red Wedding on us.

I was born in Scotland and I grew up idolizing Sean Connery as Bond. I loved Lazenby though, was so so on Moore, liked Dalton, was so so on Brosnan (though I really loved him in the Thomas Crown Affair) and loved Craig. I get they were trying to close the loop on the Craig story line. Overall, I thought NTTD was fantastic. Each Bond movie is very unique and brings something different to the table. It was certainly was one of the more “unlike” Bond movies I've seen. But overall I thought was a very cool approach to pushing the format. Will everyone like it? Certainly not. But I know people who abhorred Moore’s approach to the character. So I say congratulations to the whole team. They made a helluva movie. And thank you Daniel Craig for putting a whole new (original?) look on the character. I eagerly await 26.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Venom 2 I'll go see. Don't care how many plot holes and other inconsistencies are in the movie. Don't care if it's "Canon" or not. It should be fun and irreverent and silly stupid escapism. :cool:

I won't go see NNTD. Don't care for the premise of the film, nor do I care for the director. Sounds like Daniel Craig almost got out in time before the Bond franchise implodes. :(

Venom 2 I'll go see. Don't care how many plot holes and other inconsistencies are in the movie. Don't care if it's "Canon" or not. It should be fun and irreverent and silly stupid escapism. :cool:

I won't go see NNTD. Don't care for the premise of the film, nor do I care for the director. Sounds like Daniel Craig almost got out in time before the Bond franchise implodes. :(
Or, Craig peed in the James Bond punchbowl.

Top Bottom