What's new

New Interest in Fountain Pens

Hey Guys,

Being into vintage shaving gear for few years now has sparked my interest in fountain pens. Just wondering where I could start. I use a fine 0.7 ball point japanese pen at the moment and I prefer a finer point.

I would like to use one for every day use, and have more interest in a cartridge-less model.

Any ideas where I could start my quest for a better writing instrument?

You can't go wrong with the Pilot Metropolitan. Great price at under $20. Great pen. Comes with a cartridge and a converter. Superb offering.

Pilot Metropolitan on Amazon

$PilotMetro.jpg

Last edited:
esterbrooks, pelikans, and parkers just about anything before 1950 lol, most will need new sacs if they use that style filler, some may need nib tuning to get back into shape

Ebay is hit or miss on price and quality, pen shows and a good eye in local antique stores are your best bet at a good deal, for vintage stuff

for new stuff The Metro is good, platinum plaisirs, for starting out but they both make use of converters. Peliken M200 series pens are good starts but costs more, they use a piston filler though

esterbrooks, pelikans, and parkers just about anything before 1950 lol, most will need new sacs if they use that style filler, some may need nib tuning to get back into shape

Ebay is hit or miss on price and quality, pen shows and a good eye in local antique stores are your best bet at a good deal, for vintage stuff

for new stuff The Metro is good, platinum plaisirs, for starting out but they both make use of converters. Peliken M200 series pens are good starts but costs more, they use a piston filler though

Yeah, I'd say start off easy and new with the Metro or something similar.

Then let the Nib AD bite and you can go wild on the vintage stuff once you are a little more familiar.

Thanks for the responses. Is there a different technique when writing with a fountain pen? Can you just go about like with a regular pen?

a lot like shaving, pressure (none) is all you really need,

nib shiny side up as well

have a look through gouletpens, goldspot see if you see what you like and what suites your taste and budget, also you may want to check out the nib wiki in my signature to read up on a bit, see what you like then report back maybe we can tailor some suggestions to what you want to begin with for you

as you will need ink as well

Just write like normal, but I tend to go slower.

Also look at a Parker 78G if you want a finer line. I have a Metro, and it is a great pen, but is a medium nib. The 78G has a fine point and a broad (1.1ish) option, and is only $10 or so on the auction site. It is lighter than the metro since it is all plastic.

I picked up a restored esterbrook J type for under $20, and if you can find one restored for under $25, I would say that's a great option, too.

If I was going to start over, I would just pony up for another Nussbaum John Ross. $45 for a fantastic pen. Or if I could find a good used Pelikan M200. I got one from a member here on the board, and it is almost guaranteed to be a good pen.

im not a regualr here

but in college i used to modify pens (cut down mont blanc carts to fit into piolot pen cases)

during a trip to japan, i visted a store called muji, really sparked my interest in the whole minamlist modern setup they had,
picked up about 10 of their $15 fountain pens and used them through out college on japanese 30 hole notebook paper

$5946568_a0018f5d2a.jpg

Last edited:
notebook paper = daiso
was a little nicer and cheaper

muji binder too, thet grey cardboard one
perfect setup nothing to distract not taking unlike the kids on facebook/playing ipad games in the same lecture

Top Bottom