What's new

New Improved Version of Ri Mei/Sodial Razor

I see 2 different types on ebay. One looks like the one that OP got. The other looks like the older version.
Same seller, different price ("uxcell"), both labelled as" Silver Tone Double Edge Razor" (the higher priced version has "anti slip" included in the description)

Higher priced (similar to OP's)
$ux_a12110100ux0152_ux_g.jpg

Cheaper version
$older rimer.jpg

I found one on Amazon.co.uk for £1.86 including delivery from Hong Kong and couldn't resist :biggrin1:
Between this razor and the recently acquired Gillette Rubie I'm sure there will be enough parts to make a good travel razor at least!

I ended up ordering from DX mainly to get the case. I have a feeling it'll be the old version. If so, I'll likely order from one of the known Amason vendors to get the newer version as well.

Just to confuse things: I ordered from DX and got the new 3-piece version. The case arrived cracked in the mail but the razor was intact.

I found a couple different ones on Amazon. I ordered one that was more expensive, but looks like the one bottom of merkur59's post (that he says was cheaper). The reviews said it had a metal handle and the description said it had a metal handle. We'll see if it does.

When did you order it? The picture on DX site has not been updated, has it?

I ordered from DX on August 28 and received a razor that appears identical to the photos from the OP. You're correct, those are different from what DX shows on its site.

At $4, including shipping, I guess I overpaid compared to some of the other sources. Still, it seems pretty darn good for that price -- blade alignment seems spot-on. It's certainly capable of getting the job done -- definitely less aggressive than my EJ DE89lbl. I think it works fine as a cheap way to get into DE shaving or as a travel razor you don't have to worry about losing.

For what it's worth, I ordered two of the Ri Mei razors from dealextreme a few weeks back, along with a bunch of other cheap Chinese junk (such as a pretty funny watch that has a waving Chairman Mao on it).

About three weeks later, and I had my razors - three piece variety with a quite solid handle. I've gotta say - I was pretty impressed by the quality of these things. The razors came in a box, which had the cased version inside of it. Looks like the plastic they use on the case is a little flimsy, since one of the two I ordered had a small hairline fracture on the top plastic bit. The plating was decently applied to my razors, although I think from rubbing against the cheap plastic case it put a bit of a scratch in the head of the razor - mostly cosmetic damage. The metal used to plate appears to be chrome, and the balance of the head / handle is pretty much spot on. A little too excited to use it, I loaded it up with a Personna lab blue, smeared a bunch of Williams on my face (yeah yeah, laugh it up), and went to town.

As others have said, it seems to shave like my Fat Tech, although it was very temperamental to proper angle. If you went too steep or too shallow, it didn't seem to do anything aside from smearing shaving cream all over. End result after a 2-pass shave was pretty much BBS with no irritation whatsoever. I'm embarrassed to say it, but the RiMei is actually a decent razor. It's loads better than the crazy aggressive Nanjie TTO I ordered from China a while back.

I ordered one from DX a few minutes ago. Too good of price to turn down for what I hope will be a decent travel razor. I'll try to remember to post what I get here :wink2:

Early Gillette 3-piece razors included instructions on adjusting the blade gap and exposure with the degree of tightness the head is screwed on: screw the head on all the way (maximum tightness) to produce the least blade gap and exposure for the mildest, safest shave; for a quicker, closer shave, screw the head all the way on and then unscrew it a quarter, half or full turn to increase gap and exposure... (I've seen photos of those instructions online, and if I can find them, I'll repost them.)

Correction: unscrew the head 1/16th-1/8th of a turn from maximum, according to the Gillette instructions, below. Although, as is still the best advice: "The user must find for himself the adjustment which insures the best results in his case."

1907 Old Type English Instructions:
proxy.php

Gillette New Instructions. See the rest: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/82475-Gillette-Tech-Instructions-Req-d
attachment.php

Another set from 1918
attachment.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/33537-Razor-Instructions?p=953173#post953173

Gillette DoubleRing Instructions. Similar strategy for increasing blade exposure and gap by unscrewing the head a bit:
attachment.php

These and many other razor instructions are available here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/33537-Razor-Instructions

Last edited:
I *finally* received two that I ordered from FAIR TOP on amazon. I was notified that they shipped on Aug 30 and it took over a month to arrive. They are the "new" model and the package was in quite good shape when they arrived. This was the third time I ordered this type of razor from amazon via hong kong and both previous orders had come in just over two weeks. I though sure this last order was not going to show up at all.

My razor arrived today. I had ordered it on Sept 18th and it was in the mail today.

It was ordered through JFLY on Amazon. Here is the Amazon Picture:

$413pBhL-dkL._SY450_.jpg

Here's the picture of what I got

Very similar except mine has a slightly longer piece at the end of the handle below the indents. It appears to be a pretty solid handle, but I'll know more tomorrow when I open it. Also interested in giving the ReMei blade a shot. Can't be worse than Derbys.

My razor arrived today. I had ordered it on Sept 18th and it was in the mail today.

It was ordered through JFLY on Amazon. Here is the Amazon Picture:

View attachment 373727

Here's the picture of what I got

Very similar except mine has a slightly longer piece at the end of the handle below the indents. It appears to be a pretty solid handle, but I'll know more tomorrow when I open it. Also interested in giving the ReMei blade a shot. Can't be worse than Derbys.

My new ones do not look like that. They both look like this:
View attachment 373876

Correction: unscrew the head 1/16th-1/8th of a turn from maximum, according to the Gillette instructions, below. Although, as is still the best advice: "The user must find for himself the adjustment which insures the best results in his case."

proxy.php

Love that the guy put on a suit, removable collar, and tie to shave....

proxy.php

Love that the guy put on a suit, removable collar, and tie to shave....

Instruction manual models just aren't as classy as they used to be...

Top Bottom