What's new

New Improved Milady Decolette in Jade Case?

I was browsing through Craigslist and widened my search area and typed "razor" into the search bar for the Philadelphia area and happened on what appears to be a guy selling a gold 1920s Milady Decolette in the Jade Green case for "a Hamilton." I watched it for about a week or so because all they said was "Cash, Local pickup only." Curiosity got the best of me and I replied to the ad the guy said that the razor was his father's and he was selling it for his 90 year old mother and attached the photo below. It appears to be a NI Milady Decolette (which is basically a gold Tuckaway) in the Jade case--I offered that if he would reply back with his mailing address I would send him a self addressed padded envelope (postage paid) and a cash offer twice what he was asking (I realize the razor is probably worth more, I just didn't want to risk more than $20). I gave him my phone number if he wanted to ask any questions, and... nothing. Radio silence. I have a Tuckaway already, so I don't really need the razor, I just didn't want it to languish out there or get thrown away because it looks in good shape, it's complete, and you don't see them come up very often. So for anyone in the Philadelphia area, it's out there and needs to be rescued by someone who will appreciate it. No, I am not selling this for him, nor do I want someone to get it for me, heck, if gas prices were lower, I might consider the drive, but it makes no economic sense, I just think it needs to get rescued.
Milady Decolette.jpeg

I was browsing through Craigslist and widened my search area and typed "razor" into the search bar for the Philadelphia area and happened on what appears to be a guy selling a gold 1920s Milady Decolette in the Jade Green case for "a Hamilton." I watched it for about a week or so because all they said was "Cash, Local pickup only." Curiosity got the best of me and I replied to the ad the guy said that the razor was his father's and he was selling it for his 90 year old mother and attached the photo below. It appears to be a NI Milady Decolette (which is basically a gold Tuckaway) in the Jade case--I offered that if he would reply back with his mailing address I would send him a self addressed padded envelope (postage paid) and a cash offer twice what he was asking (I realize the razor is probably worth more, I just didn't want to risk more than $20). I gave him my phone number if he wanted to ask any questions, and... nothing. Radio silence. I have a Tuckaway already, so I don't really need the razor, I just didn't want it to languish out there or get thrown away because it looks in good shape, it's complete, and you don't see them come up very often. So for anyone in the Philadelphia area, it's out there and needs to be rescued by someone who will appreciate it. No, I am not selling this for him, nor do I want someone to get it for me, heck, if gas prices were lower, I might consider the drive, but it makes no economic sense, I just think it needs to get rescued.
View attachment 1416600
Beautiful razor which looks in near unused condition. It looks very similar to my 1915 Milady which I bought several years ago on the 'Bay, also in great condition. I shaved with it several times. It shaved well, but I found the handle too short, so I retired my Milady to a place of honor in my collection. The legend is that Gillette promoted shaving by women in the period as women's fashions were changing and they were showing more skin in public. Later, Gillette made the Milady handles longer because women wanted longer handles for reaching their legs. Like you, I hope someone rescues the Milady.

Top Bottom