What's new

New Improved and New Improved Aristocrat

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Gillette "New Improved" and a "New Improved Aristocrat"? Is the only difference that the Aristocrat is gold?

All of the various razors that Gillette called "Aristocrat" were gold plated.

The "New Improved" series were all essentially the same razor, just packaged in different cases. Many of the various models were available in either silver or gold plate. The Aristocrat of that vintage lived in a faux ivory case, like its earlier (Old Type) predecessor, the Bell-end Aristocrat (ca. 1914) A gold plated New Improved could have been packaged as a New Standard (gold), Bostonian (gold), or Aristocrat; the only difference being the case. In other words, without the case, a 1921-1929 Aristocrat becomes a plain New Standard.

In 1930, an Aristocrat was sold based on a New Deluxe gold plated razor. It was the last of the three-piece Aristocrats.

Starting in the mid-'30s, the Aristocrat became a TTO, as did the rest of Gillette's premium razors.

All of the various razors that Gillette called "Aristocrat" were gold plated.

Except for the Old Type Aristocrats, which were both silver and gold plated, and the British TTO Aristocrats, which were more often rhodium plated than gold. Otherwise, exactly right -- as you said, the New Improved Aristocrat was just a standard New Improved razor in a special case.

Hi all, Old Tread bump.

OK, I've been doing a LOT of research and yet I'm still confused so, I'm going to do this "by the numbers" and ask the experts here at B&B.....what is the NAME/date (any information greatly appreciated) of this Razor on the RIGHT ?

1576330682661.png

SixCats!

R

romsitsa

Hello, it’s a New improved razor.
The very same razor went into New Standard, Aristocrat, Richwood and combination sets, so it needs a case to get a name.
For a date, check the top of the base plate for a serial number. If there is no serial it’s from October 1927-August 1928.
If it has one, please see here:

Adam

Hello @romsitsa, @mr-razor,

Thank you both for your help/information provided. I do in fact have the case this Razor came with however, I wanted to show Razor without the case first. My confusion is due to THIS lit :
1576337418409.png

Ah ha! I thought this Razor looked (to my Eyes) to be the exact same Razor as shown in this "Aristocrat" lit. So, this yet another case of the CASE determining the Razor's name.

1576337636336.png

Thank you again Gentleman for all your help.

SixCats!

Hello @romsitsa, @mr-razor,

Thank you both for your help/information provided. I do in fact have the case this Razor came with however, I wanted to show Razor without the case first. My confusion is due to THIS lit : View attachment 1043505

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible) my Razor looks (to my Eyes) to be the exact same Razor as shown in this "Aristocrat" lit. Is this yet another case of the CASE determining the Razor's name ?

Yes. Aristocrat (in this case), Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood etc are names of sets not razors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Thanks @jmudrick for the link. I swear, I don't know if I'll ever get this stuff straight lol.

I think it's sloooowly sinking in to my THICK Head. OK, vintage GILLETTE NEW IMPROVED Razor.

I become confused with all these names.

SixCats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom