What's new

New Horsehide Plain Strops

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
My Plain Vanilla and Plain Chocolate have a new look ! The newest versions are made with Horween Horsehide, either the natural veg tanned or the deep brown Notovan.

2 1/2" wide, 17 1/2" stropping surface with D-ring grips and cotton second component. Just $50 for a full size strop with really nice leather.

IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Beautiful work Tony. :001_tt1:

So the tan and brown Plain strops are finished differently, besides being different colors?

I have your Artisan Veg Tanned Horsehide Premium strop, how is the veg tanned plain version different?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Beautiful work Tony. :001_tt1:

So the tan and brown Plain strops are finished differently, besides being different colors?

I have your Artisan Veg Tanned Horsehide Premium strop, how is the veg tanned plain version different?

Both leathers are tanned differently. The lighter is veg tanned horsehide from Horween so same the same leather as your current Artisan version just with slight cosmetic issues that makes it a "plain" rather than an "Artisan" grade. I do a little less finish work on these. Edges of the strops are still rounded and beveled for performance but the backs of the end caps are not and they don't get my logo so there is no confusion down the road as to what it is if it ever gets resold.

The darker is my "Notovan" horsehide which is a Chromexcel tannage from Horween so has oils and waxes in it and usually a little slower draw. It is thinner and more supple than the veg tanned with tends to be quite thick and has less flexibility as well as a harder surface temper. These too will have slight cosmetic issues which separates it from my Artisan grade.

Contacted Tony through his website today with questions about the plain strops. It was an absolute pleasure to deal with him. Now I’m looking forward to my new strop! :thumbup:

Why would you just post this stuff? Now I'm gonna "need" one. I will say that I use my plain chocolate daily. The kanayama and the horween from Griffiths are for show I guess. Now if I had a Tony Miller horse hide would it be the daily worker? Leaving the old Tony Miller hiding in a closet. Man I wasn't gonna buy anything anymore. Great price and I'm sure top end product. Im only gonna turn 39 once so bday present is a good enough justification for me. Thanks

Top Bottom