What's new

New here

Hi I'm Dave.

In the gift exchange for Christmas, my brother in law Mike drew my name. Our price range was $30-$45 and we gave three gift suggestions. Mine were:

1) University of Kentucky fanware
2) Dopp kit with shaving gear (Schick quattro)
3) Air buds

What I got was an Every Man Jack gift set in a dopp kit that included body wash, shampoo, and deodorant and a King C. Gillette razor with 8 5-packs of blades from different companies.

Not what I asked for, but thanks Mike.

Although this is a perfect gift for Mike because he's way in to old school shaving. He even turned the half bath into his "shave den" and has a towel warmer and a floor to ceiling cabinet with old school razors including a straight razor, brushes, mugs, shave pucks in more scents than a Yankee Candle shop, and oh my God, at least thirty splash on aftershaves. He was way more excited to than I was to get it.

After they left, Dad told me I was going to slice my face like a loaf of Wonder bread.

But this morning I was going to do it. I was going to use that razor. I checked out a you tube video on it, because I couldn't even figure out how to put the blades in. I applied the Edge Shave Gel and I looked at the razor and psyched myself up a bit, and then I put it back in the box and in the drawer.

I shave every morning before work. I wet my face with hot water and use Edge Shave Gel. I shave with my Schick Quattro titanium blades, and a I use a little bit of Nivea Hydrating Balm.

I have seen other videos where you're supposed to shave three times to get the job done. I shave one time and the job is done. I even saw one that was called "Shave Like Your Grandfather Did." There's a reason most guys use modern razors. I guess there's a reason some guys use old school razors.

But I do want to shave with the thing until the blades are gone. But I'm afraid of cutting myself. The Gillette King razor review and demo was hosted by a guy who talked about how often he cuts his neck.

I have cut myself shaving before, but not since I was a newbie shaver.

So ... I willing to learn.

But I'm not willing to buy a bunch of gear. No towel warmers. No brushes. No mugs, no shaving cream pucks.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hi Dave, I am Andrew and welcome to the forum. Thanks for checking in with us. You will be okay, we all started somewhere. I tried using a DE with disastrous results back in the 1980’s. I can use one now but I do take my time depending on what razor I use. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. You can take your time and read through the Shave Wiki, there is some great help located there in different areas. Read some of the threads in the Shave Clinic and also don’t be scared to use the search bar. You will be okay, we are here for you.

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! I hope you’ll give it a try, once you get the hang of it it’s really wonderful! Shaving is something we have to do every day but this turns it into a pleasurable experience instead of a task. Take care, and enjoy it.

Nice straightforward post! Nothing wrong with your current shaving set up, I'm sure. However...

You don't have to shave three passes to get a decent shave from your King C. None of my three sons shed much blood learning how to shave with a double edge razor, so the noise about cuts and bleeding is mainly noise. I doubt that any of them do a three pass shave. I expect you will get good shaves out of your new DE without much of a learning curve, given that you have plenty of shaving experience.

None of my boys treats shaving as a hobby. They get fast, functional, inexpensive shaves. Two use DE razors, one uses a RazoRock Eco with half (saloon) blades. That razor delivers ultra-cheap shaves. If my son who shaves his head used multi-blade cartridges it would cost a fortune to get the clean shaves he gets with a mild iKon X3 slant and Astra blades. (7¢ per blade last time he stocked up.)

Given that DE and SE razors have never gone out of production, and that new designs are constantly introduced, I'm think they are modern. Just not as popular in the US as elsewhere.

Welcome to B&B.
But I do want to shave with the thing until the blades are gone. But I'm afraid of cutting myself. The Gillette King razor review and demo was hosted by a guy who talked about how often he cuts his neck.
Stay away from Youtube videos is my advice; many on there use poor technique.
We have a good Shave Wiki on here {link top left of page} on how to use a DE razor. You have all the kit you need and shave gel is okay to use for a daily shave; many use it.

Rook Champ, you are well ahead of where I was when I first moved from electric razor to real shaving. I went from a Norelco rotary head to using the then-current 2-blade setup along with the classic foam, Barbasol in the can. For years I simply supplemented my electric shave for special occasions, date nights and the like, with a couple of passes from the multi-blade. I nicked myself a big proportion of the time, and took to shaving before my shower to rinse off the blood! (I exaggerate a little, but not too much.)

My point is that you are already familiar with the multi-blade razor, how to hold the thing and what your face feels like after you shave with it. The King C. Gillette is different, but not as different as going from electric to bladed razor to start with.

Shower, leave your face wet, apply your gel (though you may want to try the Barbasol or a real shaving cream), and let the stuff soak into your beard for a minute or more. If the gel or Barbasol feels a little dry after your 2 minutes' wait, rinse it off and re-apply. The stuff is pretty cheap.

Then bring up the razor. Very very lightly draw it along your skin. Don't press; that is the key to using the multi-blade razor, but will not work for the DE. Very very little pressure. Shave with the grain -- in other words, with the way your beard grows. One pass and rinse, and decide if you need to do another pass. If you don't, rinse, put on your aftershave, rinse off and put up your razor, and you are done!

There are lots of other variables -- different blades in different razors, different creams, whether to put some balm on your skin after the shave, making 2 or 3 passes -- but don't worry about those at present. Reduce the beard to acceptable levels, and you can go from there.

You will enjoy the improvement in shaving.

Welcome. I shaved with an electric, mostly Braun, more years than I'm sure you have been around. Been using a DE for about 3 years now, and would never go back. Really a short learning curve if you pay attention to what you are doing. Don't let the mind wander. As above, lots of help available in the Forums.
Good luck.

Yeah, the reason I was even going on the site was to figure out how to load the thing. It isn't intuitive.
Yeah, nowadays companies have lost the idea of writing and including good instructions for their products. They all want you to go online for that (so they can expose you to more advertising). Gillette used to include a pamphlet on how to load your razor, how to get a good shave, etc. Recently I bought a Merkur Adjustable, and a crucial item of how to set it up was nowhere in the included instructions. I had to come here to find it out!

Hi I'm Dave.

In the gift exchange for Christmas, my brother in law Mike drew my name. Our price range was $30-$45 and we gave three gift suggestions. Mine were:

1) University of Kentucky fanware
2) Dopp kit with shaving gear (Schick quattro)
3) Air buds

What I got was an Every Man Jack gift set in a dopp kit that included body wash, shampoo, and deodorant and a King C. Gillette razor with 8 5-packs of blades from different companies.

Not what I asked for, but thanks Mike.

Although this is a perfect gift for Mike because he's way in to old school shaving. He even turned the half bath into his "shave den" and has a towel warmer and a floor to ceiling cabinet with old school razors including a straight razor, brushes, mugs, shave pucks in more scents than a Yankee Candle shop, and oh my God, at least thirty splash on aftershaves. He was way more excited to than I was to get it.

After they left, Dad told me I was going to slice my face like a loaf of Wonder bread.

But this morning I was going to do it. I was going to use that razor. I checked out a you tube video on it, because I couldn't even figure out how to put the blades in. I applied the Edge Shave Gel and I looked at the razor and psyched myself up a bit, and then I put it back in the box and in the drawer.

I shave every morning before work. I wet my face with hot water and use Edge Shave Gel. I shave with my Schick Quattro titanium blades, and a I use a little bit of Nivea Hydrating Balm.

I have seen other videos where you're supposed to shave three times to get the job done. I shave one time and the job is done. I even saw one that was called "Shave Like Your Grandfather Did." There's a reason most guys use modern razors. I guess there's a reason some guys use old school razors.

I have cut myself shaving before, but not since I was a newbie shaver.

So ... I willing to learn.

But I'm not willing to buy a bunch of gear. No towel warmers. No brushes. No mugs, no shaving cream pucks.
Check out this guy, as his primary target are folks starting off with wet-shaving, who want a non-nonsense, easy to understand tutorials, tips & tricks, w/o breaking the bank.

Here's how to properly use the KCG razor:

BTW, KCG uses the identical same "type 89" closed comb head, as more popular Muhle / EJ. This would not be my first choice for a DE razor, but many people seem to like this particular head architecture.

Top Bottom