What's new

New here.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Secretly we are all enablers...especially @Esox who will be chiming in about his love of Fatips!!!

Everyone should have a Fatip, and an Old Type. Preferably a Single Ring, and a NEW SC, and a made in England TTO. Lest we not forget, the King of them all, the GEM MMOC. :)

Oh, and a Plission type synthetic and a tub each of CRS cream and Wickham 1912 soap. That pretty much rounds it out lol.

Everyone should have a Fatip, and an Old Type. Preferably a Single Ring, and a NEW SC, and a made in England TTO. Lest we not forget, the King of them all, the GEM MMOC. :)

Oh, and a Plission type synthetic and a tub each of CRS cream and Wickham 1912 soap. That pretty much rounds it out lol.
Can you post a few pics with labels some of these I'm familiar with some of them I'm a bit lost.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cyril R Salter.
IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2976.jpg IMG_2978.jpg

Wickham 1912.
IMG_2973.jpg IMG_2970.jpg IMG_2974.jpg

Both available from Connaught Shaving in the UK. Connaught has an inexpensive international shipping option. They also carry Fatip and still have the Piccolo Special Edition in stock. You get both the OC base and the Gentile base thats a sort of hybrid OC/SB.

There are many threads around on Fatip razors. This is a more recent thread: FATIP GRANDE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Cyril R Salter.
View attachment 937051 View attachment 937052 View attachment 937053

Wickham 1912.
View attachment 937055 View attachment 937054 View attachment 937056

Both available from Connaught Shaving in the UK. Connaught has an inexpensive international shipping option. They also carry Fatip and still have the Piccolo Special Edition in stock. You get both the OC base and the Gentile base thats a sort of hybrid OC/SB.

There are many threads around on Fatip razors. This is a more recent thread: FATIP GRANDE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Those are nice looking razors. I forgot how expensive this hobby can get when RAD kicks in. How is the scent that Rose shave cream. I really like a little rose water and honey in the water I drink everyday and I had a rosewater ice cream once that was unbelievable. My current shave soap is an artisan made goat's milk dragon's blood scent I really want to find a dragon's blood soap that lathers up bit better though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How is the scent that Rose shave cream. I really like a little rose water and honey in the water I drink everyday and I had a rosewater ice cream once that was unbelievable.

Spectacular. My first shave with it below. Click the small red arrow to go to a quoted thread.

The performance is impressive. Its every bit as good as my WK and better. The lather from the CRS cream is smoother, creamier and more consistent and it gets to that state quicker.

The protection from WK is very good and its the most protective soap I'd used, until this morning. CRS has the same amount, and quality, of cushion as my WK with far less product used. This cream really reminded me of my WK soap, but its a smoother lather. I dont really know how to explain it. Creamier and richer but lighter with the same protection and the same protective feel.

Slickness is right there with PdP, even with a thick lather. Its -9C this morning and the furnace is blowing hot. Between passes I usually wipe my face after shaking the water off my hand. I didnt shake my hand this shave so I was using a lot more water. The lather didnt diminish, even for my second clean up. What it did do, much the same as PdP, was build. The more water I gave it, the more lather it made. I rinsed more lather out of my brush when I had finished shaving than it held after my first face lather.

In a battle of thin and slick with PdP, CRS wins. In a battle of protection with WK DM, CRS wins. Simply because it reaches the same level with less product, not to mention it was ~$14CAD shipped and my WK was $39.99CAD shipped. That, is a considerable difference. Add in performance to match with less product used, its a no brainer.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

red_rosebud_with_raindrops_-216494517-jpg.933308

This is the scent as I was lathering.

dark-red-rose-wallpaper_thumb-jpg.933309

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720-jpg.933311

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

I'm honestly not trying to sell any CRS creams. My description of the scent is exactly what I smelled, all of it. It blew me away.

It also kicked what remains of my Proraso soaps off my shelf because I'm running out of room. If Wickhams can hold a candle to CRS, my Stirling's and CC creams are following my Proraso. I wont be buying Wholly Kaw again.

My next order will be the CRS Sandalwood, and another tub of Wild Rose.

Spectacular. My first shave with it below. Click the small red arrow to go to a quoted thread.
That is a very good write up. I especially like the three pictures to convey the sentiment of what the aroma is like, it's hard to describe scent in written word sometimes and the visual aid really helps.
I will definitely have to try this product out.

That is a very good write up. I especially like the three pictures to convey the sentiment of what the aroma is like, it's hard to describe scent in written word sometimes and the visual aid really helps.

Ahhhh haaaaaa! And it begins!!! :a30:

Hello...LOL have all of those...except the GEM...DAMN! No Fatip...yet...LOL

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Thanks. I agree about the pictures. It makes the description of a scent, that can be very individualistic, more easily understood.

Its the best cream I've used

Hello...LOL have all of those...except the GEM...DAMN! No Fatip...yet...LOL

You're only missing the best two. :001_tt2:

Thanks. I agree about the pictures. It makes the description of a scent, that can be very individualistic, more easily understood.

Its the best cream I've used

You're only missing the best two. :001_tt2:
Ahhhhhh....I have 37 DE...no!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ahhhhhh....I have 37 DE...no!

If you have 37, whats one more. It may as well be an even 40. :)

The bright side is, the MMOC may be the only SE you need. Once you try one though, your DE's may get lonely.

If you have 37, whats one more. It may as well be an even 40. :)

The bright side is, the MMOC may be the only SE you need. Once you try one though, your DE's may get lonely.
I will not...I have 40 soaps and creams...no, I don’t want matching numbers. I have signed on to the 2019 Shave Sabbatical...man it is going to be a loooooong year! :a13:

Okay I've been looking at alot of Gem razors and I'm pretty sure I want to get one. This would be my first single Edge safety razor. Now I just have to decide which one of the gems I want.
Esox, when I look up Gem MMOC I find a really wide variety of razors. Are you referring to a specific model?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

There is only one MMOC, MicroMatic Open Comb, in Chrome and gold plated models. The ClugPruf, apparently, is similar in efficiency.

If replating is something you might look at down the road, few replaters will strip a Chrome GEM, but I understand stripping a worn gold finish isnt an issue.

MMOC
m.m.o.c.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2731.jpg IMG_2732.jpg

ClogPruf.
clog.pruf.jpeg

There is only one MMOC, MicroMatic Open Comb, in Chrome and gold plated models. The ClugPruf, apparently, is similar in efficiency.

If replating is something you might look at down the road, few replaters will strip a Chrome GEM, but I understand stripping a worn gold finish isnt an issue.

Thank you for clearing that up I see the distinction of open comb and suspected there were lots of mislabeled Gems out there on on the web, but wasn't sure if there was more than one modle. And some of the really old Gems say open comb. But then those aren't MicroMatic? Do you have any experience with the bullet tip, I know it's closed comb. But if I get one single edge and like it, I will inevitably want 2 or 3 more.
As far as replaying, I was wondering if the raw brass ones are good daily shavers. I actually really like the look of the raw brass with a bit of patina.

[/QUOTE]

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you for clearing that up I see the distinction of open comb and suspected there were lots of mislabeled Gems out there on on the web, but wasn't sure if there was more than one modle. And some of the really old Gems say open comb. But then those aren't MicroMatic? Do you have any experience with the bullet tip, I know it's closed comb. But if I get one single edge and like it, I will inevitably want 2 or 3 more.
As far as replaying, I was wondering if the raw brass ones are good daily shavers. I actually really like the look of the raw brass with a bit of patina.

[/QUOTE]

I believe all Gem razors are Brass, they just have two plating options. There are Ever Ready razors too but I dont know a lot about them.

I have a Bullet Tip too. Its half as efficient as my MMOC but a very smooth and nice razor. Efficient between it and my Fatip Grande is the same but because of the thicker and stiffer SE blade, the Gem can be a more comfortable shave.

Hi
I’m ª newbie classic wet shaver. Since, last August, I’v taken the pleasure in classic shaving. Since then I’v bought a Wilkinson classic, a qshave futur clone, a Merkur 38c, a Merkur 39c (Slant), a hawk2, a Feather ss razor, a Filarmónica 13 and a Dovo Bismark (which didn’t arrived yet). I’m parte of the Portuguese forum “barbear clássico “.
When I put queries in the browser regarding wet shaving, this forum pops out. So I enrolled. At this point, I’d like to buy a cheap stainless straight. I first was looking for tamagahane stainless or a Henkels but since them I’v bought a coticule and I want to learn to hone on a less expensive straight before.
So I’m looking the zy 430+ and a similar Gd but I’d like more opinions on ppl with experience on those razors. Thank you

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Top Bottom