What's new

New here!

Hey, I've just recently found out about wet shaving and I'm very interested. Thing is I'm not sure if I want to spend a fortune (I'm still a student) fortune just to find out that wet shaving isn't for me. Is it possible to just get a DE razor and use normal canned shaving cream (Gillete) that I get in the super market and do I really need a brush?

Yes, I use a Muhle R89 and some days I use Barbasol in morning when running late. However if you can get a starter brush and some cream of your choice you will get hooked. Don't have to spend much.

Thing is I'm from Malaysia and wet shaving isn't very popular here. I'd probably have to get my gears online and that'd probably gonna cost me quite abit on shipment alone :(

I agree you don't have to spend much to start out. A less expensive brush can be picked up off ebay or amazon and you can get a great soap for not much money. Truly makes a big difference.

Garry is the way to go for a starter. Good stuff at a very fair price. Hope the international shipping woks for you.

Hey, I've just recently found out about wet shaving and I'm very interested. Thing is I'm not sure if I want to spend a fortune (I'm still a student) fortune just to find out that wet shaving isn't for me. Is it possible to just get a DE razor and use normal canned shaving cream (Gillete) that I get in the super market and do I really need a brush?

Starting and maintaining Wet shaving is really cheaper that starting multi blade shave,stated that you want to shave reasonably often, so don't worry and enjoy your start kit! :D

Lol, I don't think it'll be cheaper for me to wet shave, been using an electric shaver all this while. Reason I want to get into wet shaving is because I never get a clean shave with it, and if I do try to get a closer shave with it, I'll end up with razor burns and ingrown hair :crying:

Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

You don't have to spend a fortune. You can get a nice boar's hair brush made by Omega or Semogue for WAY less than $20. As far as the canned goop, I would suggest that you throw it away, slide by a Bath & Body at a local mall, and get a tube of C.O. Bigelow. It is made by Proraso and comes in two sizes. The large tube is $10 and the small tube is $5. The large tube would last you for months of daily use and your face would be a lot better off than shaving with the goo. Slide on over to Walmart, Walgreens, or whatever and pick up either some Mennan Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva Ice Blue for an after shave and you're set.

IMHO, a crummy lather can lead to a less than pleasing shave no matter what set up you have and you can get great lather without spending a huge amount of money.

Keep us posted as to your adventure.

I'm new too, and also did not want to spend a fortune to get started. I started the other way. I was given a VDH mug/brush/soap set as a Christmas gift and I first tried it out using my Mach III. That was a good way to start, although I'm still terrible at lathering. Then I got a Maggard MR1 which seemed to get good reviews despite being about $16 new. Altogether the set up is only about $40. You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent stuff. I have no experience with higher end stuff though so maybe my idea of decent really isn't.

Welcome, to answer your question you can do any thing you want, but as you read you will get the idea that wet shaving is more about taking time for yourself in your own private shave den and experiencing the shave that would require all the tools. I know personally I take my time, listen to music and enjoy this small highlight of my day. For me its a time to slow down form the pace and enjoy a completely masculine past time. Like I said you can do anything you want but if you want to enjoy wet shaving then it has to be done right otherwise its not really wet shaving.

Thanks for all the great advice! I've found a local vendor and placed an order for an Edwin Jagger DE89L! Will keep you guys updated on how my first DE experience went :wink2:

Top Bottom