What's new

New here

Hello. I'm new to DE shaving. I came across my grandfathers old Gillette razors a 1965 slim, 1947-49 super speed and a 1959 fatboy. I wanted to know if these are good razors to start out with, are they too aggressive? Also for a first time user what would be a very forgiving blade to use? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Welcome Random. That's a great set of razors to have. The nice thing with adjustable razors is you can choose the aggression you want, lower number=less aggressive. You don't really want to start with a super sharp blade so I'd recommend Shark or Derby. They're what I started on and are very consistent and forgiving. Enjoy!

Welcome! The Slim and Fat Boy are two of the most popular razors as they provide a great shave and can range in aggressiveness. Start out at 1 and gradually increase if you desire more. Also, as others have said, get a brush and some shaving soap or cream. A blade sampler is one of the best things you can get as well.

Welcome to B&B. I also started out with my grandpa's razors. I actually had the fatboy and slim to choose from. I started with the Slim, but I've realized I like the Fatboy more. When I started, I just cleaned the razors up, ordered a cheap $15 blade sampler pack and a $10 tube of Proraso shaving cream from amazon, used my grandpa's old shaving brush, and started gettin rid of those pesky whiskers. Also, I set my Slim and Fatboy at the setting 3 when I first started out.

you got the best of the razors...wish i had a grandfather like yours :biggrin1:

as for blades..get few sample packs...and yea welcome to B&B :thumbup:

Welcome. I've only been at this for about 5 weeks now and the Super Speed is very mild, very forgiving. I have not had the opportunity to use the others you listed. Good luck and enjoy your shave.

Welcome to B&B.

For a good starting off point look at the information at this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to most of your shaving questions. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

Top Bottom